• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2 stuff

Dat Robert Carlyle narration. Weird how I'm kind of pumped for this game, yet have never played the first one and don't have much inclination to do so. Doesn't really make any sense but oh well.

Dat Robert Carlyle narration. Weird how I'm kind of pumped for this game, yet have never played the first one and don't have much inclination to do so. Doesn't really make any sense but oh well.

Once you get past the first 2 chapters it's a great game. Beautiful, too.

Hindle

Banned
Can someone post the trailer in a way I don't have to watch the VGAs? My streaming quality is really poor etc.

Aru

So the sequel really takes place
in the period seen in the ending of LoS1
This games looks more interesting than the first, for what I've seen in both trailers.

Raptor

OMG!!

I can't wait for this, LoS is amazing!!

Having said that, this trailer was underwhelming for some reason, no Alucard, no decent gameplay footage, etc.

Still badassery all around!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks great, enjoyed the first even if it wasn't quite like previous ones, the previous ones that weren't quite like the ones before them. Still for the love of god MercurySteam explain the transformation from LoS1 to this, sticking it in DLC was a terrible idea.

I'm interested to see where this goes, I would have loved a series that spanned a more time across multiple games instead of what we are seemingly getting with multiple times in one game that jumps to the end of LoS1.

Will definitely pick it up though, looks amazing.

So the sequel really takes place
in the period seen in the ending of LoS1
This games looks more interesting than the first, for what I've seen in both trailers.

I'm guessing it's going to be set in both, without going into more detail.

I thought this looked phenomenal last night. If I had to pick between this and MGS, I'd say this looked the more next. A brief snippets of gameplay looked such high quality, I wouldn;'t be shocked if they straddle it across both, given no release date was announced. Looks fantastic.

ArjanN

I'm guessing it's going to be set in both, without going into more detail.

Probably, I'm guessing flashback missions set in the past.

Also, I'm guessing Alucard will be your main enemy/rival in the game and at the end you have to team up to fight the even more evil big bad Cthulhu boss. (see Devil May Cry, legacy of Kain etc.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's unfortunate that 20-30fps is now an acceptable range of performance for a lot of developers.
Well, in the case of Lords of Shadow, it was more like 20-40 fps. The fact that it wasn't locked at 30 fps meant that it almost never synchronized with the monitor refresh so you had severe judder almost all the time.

Ahasverus

I wonder, will there be more coverage of this game? Other games are getting more stuff on monday

It was already known that Gabriel/Dracula would be the playable character but I wish they could have snuck in some Alucard. What a twist with the modern setting though.

Multiple playable characters have been hinted by the prodcer on twitter. I'm betting something a la Legacy of Kain Defiance (They cited LoK as inspiration for ths LoS saga)

Gabriel no longer uses the combat cross, right? Wonder how that's gonna work out.

That fire whip, it was pretty powerful in that reveal trailer from E3. I would think Gabriel has all the powers of the supernatural undead, trasnformations and all that. I think Gabriel vs a fully powered Alucard could be a battle of the ages. Depending on what MS wants to do with the combat, this second game could be a rapid departure from the first game. I felt the first game offered a good balance of magic and combat depth. I will be watching this one closely as I go for a second round on LoS1.

Mr. RHC

Not quite the trailer I was expecting, but good to see some gameplay! I actually like the monologue quite well. I still would like to see in what direction this will be going.. exploration, combat, puzzles etc.

I really didn't care for the first one, but I'll have my eye on this one if only because it's the only Castlevania coming out (not counting the 3ds game, which doesn't look good to me).

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
bummed that it spoiled the first game for me

hard to avoid and all but yeah

Technically nothing that you saw in the trailer is the result of what happened in the first game as it retailed, lol, any dramatic change in Gabriels character happens in the DLC, which was a pretty shitty decision.

Grief.exe

It would be nice to get Konami porting more of their library over.

Imagine MGS 5 or Ground Zereos on PC!

I have a feeling that LoS is just to test the waters. I hope it opens up the floodgates.

wazoo

It would be nice to get Konami porting more of their library over.

Imagine MGS 5 or Ground Zereos on PC!

I have a feeling that LoS is just to test the waters. I hope it opens up the floodgates.

It is more because Mercury Studios is a western dev that we could get LS on PC.

Multiple playable characters have been hinted by the prodcer on twitter. I'm betting something a la Legacy of Kain Defiance (They cited LoK as inspiration for ths LoS saga)

Oh really? I hope they don't go too overboard with it though but give the characters the proper attention and good polished movesets. Alucard is almost a given and probably another Belmont at most. I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with Mirror of Fate.

I was expecting a bit more from this trailer, it didn't really offer much gameplay at all, still the air of mystery surrounding how this games progression is going to be tackled keeps me intrigued, jumping around with flashbacks and modern day sections maybe?

Oscar Araujo is such an amazing composer. The work he did on the first game is remarkable. I look forward to all the new music that will be available in the LoS2. In spite of that great news of him returning, I hope they try to find a way to integrate even more of the classic themes into that new music. I wouldn't even mind a complete classic song or two for good measure.

Dylan

I'm honestly surprised anyone is excited for this sequel. I came in expecting "The game nobody asked for" posts. But if you guys are stoked then far be it from me to piss on the parade. I do hope it's a good game in the end.

I'm honestly surprised anyone is excited for this sequel. I came in expecting "The game nobody asked for" posts. But if you guys are stoked then far be it from me to piss on the parade. I do hope it's a good game in the end.

LOS is an amazing B-tier action game if you can get past the whole "it's not a metrovania" thing.

It can easily reach A-tier if they sort out their performance issues this time round.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Probably, I'm guessing flashback missions set in the past.

Also, I'm guessing Alucard will be your main enemy/rival in the game and at the end you have to team up to fight the even more evil big bad Cthulhu boss. (see Devil May Cry, legacy of Kain etc.)

I'll bet the structure will involve amnesiac present day Dracula regaining his memories chapter by chapter, and those flashbacks are the bulk of the game. Each time you re-live killing some big boss, you regain a power in the present day (and in the subsequent flashbacks). Then the final part of the game is a fully recovered present day Dracula kicking someone or something's ass.

LOS is an amazing B-tier action game if you can get past the whole "it's not a metrovania" thing.

It can easily reach A-tier if they sort out their performance issues this time round.

Yup, first game had tons of potential but certain amateurish mistakes undermined what was otherwise a decent combat system with its own identity. The framerate issues were low on my list of problems with the game, actually. Looking forward to this in any case.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
looking forward to see what new monsters will be in this installment. The first game featured the whole encyclopedia, I have a feeling we'll be seeing some of them a second time

Well shit, that trailer kind of spoiled the big reveal at the end of the first game.

LoS was my game of 2010. Super pumped for the DS game and the sequel. If the rumor that they are re-releasing the original on PC is true my head will explode.

Respawn

Banned
OMG!!

I can't wait for this, LoS is amazing!!

Having said that, this trailer was underwhelming for some reason, no Alucard, no decent gameplay footage, etc.

Still badassery all around!

Lets leave some surprises and suspense for when we actually play the game? Don't know how old you are but I remember when we saw what was in the game by actually playing it. Don't understand why this urge to see everything before hand.

LowParry

Lets leave some surprises and suspense for when we actually play the game? Don't know how old you are but I remember when we saw what was in the game by actually playing it. Don't understand why this urge to see everything before hand.

A great example of that is Metal Gear Solid 2. Raaaaaaiden!

Well shit, that trailer kind of spoiled the big reveal at the end of the first game.

LoS was my game of 2010. Super pumped for the DS game and the sequel. If the rumor that they are re-releasing the original on PC is true my head will explode.

Where are people getting this rumor from? I'd love to cop the first on pc

Portugeezer

Trailer has me super hyped. Didn't really care for this game before.

As for a PC version? Hell yes, bring it on, would love that!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Really excited about this... PS3 version for me (though would likely entertain a Wii U version, should one exist. Darksiders II sold me on action games on it)

I'll bet the structure will involve amnesiac present day Dracula regaining his memories chapter by chapter, and those flashbacks are the bulk of the game. Each time you re-live killing some big boss, you regain a power in the present day (and in the subsequent flashbacks). Then the final part of the game is a fully recovered present day Dracula kicking someone or something's ass.

This is basically what the structure of the trailer was, so I'd say that's pretty much it on the head. We know as well that they'll be establishing the different time periods thing in the 3DS game too, so it makes sense.

I just hope we get some decent game time in the present. The reveal in LOS1 was so good. But then I'm not sure if anyone remembers this, but didn't Mercury Steam troll the series a little a few months ago, stating they were done with it past this game, didn't want to only be known for it, etc? Something like that any way. I found it kind of surprising, given they haven't really did much of note before, and I kind of just assumed this would be a middle installment before a final 3rd set fully in the present day. So yea, hopefully it fulfils its promise.

This is basically what the structure of the trailer was, so I'd say that's pretty much it on the head. We know as well that they'll be establishing the different time periods thing in the 3DS game too, so it makes sense.

I just hope we get some decent game time in the present. The reveal in LOS1 was so good. But then I'm not sure if anyone remembers this, but didn't Mercury Steam troll the series a little a few months ago, stating they were done with it past this game, didn't want to only be known for it, etc? Something like that any way. I found it kind of surprising, given they haven't really did much of note before, and I kind of just assumed this would be a middle installment before a final 3rd set fully in the present day. So yea, hopefully it fulfils its promise.

I think Dave Cox only said they were going to do something different after they finish the Lords of Shadow saga and they want to end it with a bang. Doesn't mean they won't continue working on Castlevania especially if it's successful.

Also:

7ONgk.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Every cut-scene in LOS was run from the game engine.

but in a video form, not in real time. You'd have to imagine if they went through the trouble of using uncompressed videos (even on 360), they may as well have added extra post processing to it.

Top Bottom