• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

I
cZQ6xhN.jpg

At first, I was wondering if it was the whole "people from the past were shorter" thing, then you posted this picture. No way in hell this was intentional. Perhaps a bug?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this so far and I'm certainly not ashamed to say it. I've been playing for a few hours and even the stealth sections are piss easy and not that bad at all. I just can't see what there is that's so bad about it tbh. Then again I'm hardly shocked that my opinion doesn't jive with reviewers as it doesn't with so many games. Playing it on the hardest difficulty (which is unlocked) so combat isn't a complete breeze and the game feels wonderful to play at 60fps on PC. Liking the platforming as well but then I enjoyed Lords Of Shadow 1 from that perspective.

Of course I'll see how it pans out later but I don't see anything here that's too bad tbh. Just feels like the game of the month to get a kicking.

Ahasverus

I noticed this while watching the Giantbomb QL earlier. In some modern levels they REALLY messed up the scaling. The player is not even half as high as a doorframe.

This is really a pet peeve of mine. MG Rising had some bad instances of this problem as well. It creates a really shoddy and cheap visual impression. I really wonder why that kind of stuff happens with a studio that is otherwise known for its excellent art design. This is amateur stuff really.

edit: from the GB QL:

cZQ6xhN.jpg

The brick texture makes the whole thing stand out even more. The level was obviously not made with that kind of scaling in mind. In general this is such a far cry from the first game's excellent art design. Something must have happened within MS. Have some lead designers left the studio maybe?
THAT IS A BUG

Will post proof later

If it's better than the first, then I will definitely be in heaven. People criticize puzzles, platforming, and stealth. That shit doesn't phase me as I have a long history with the series all the way back to cryptic-as-fuck Simon's Quest(love the game, a lot of people hate it).

Alright. The game seems European to-a-tee, so I couldn't see what was KP-inspired.
I can understand the hate for stealth sections, but that's 20 minues of 15 hours, and the rest is not different to LoS, it's better, even; the only thing I really disliked were the acolyte's headquarters, and that may justify a 7... I'm really confused.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 'stealth' sections remind me heavily of the Forsaken Fortress from Wind Waker (which is probably my least favorite part of that game). Even the Rat music reminds me of the sneaking music.

burgerdog

This game is gorgeous on pc and my old friend, 6870, is not having any problems running this at 60fps / 1080p max settings.

Shinta

Banned
Man, this game can be kind of unintentionally hilarious at times.
"Something is going on a Biochemik Corporation ...." CAMERA ZOOM IN AND MAKE A MEAN FACE.

I can tell already that the modern setting is a significant downgrade from the first. The gameplay so far seems pretty much in tact. But the gorgeous levels of the first game seem to be replaced with the warehouse from the ending of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Still barely into it, so these are super, super early impressions.

And man,
what a rough call to put all the story of his transformation into Dracula in the DLC, and then all of Alucard's creation into Mirror of Fate. Seems like the most important story elements all happened out of the main games. This really should have been a console trilogy from the sound of it, but they didn't do game 2 justice at all, and it's a critical story moment in the series. Gabriel is now this returning specter, but his emotions and recollection is all focused on the 2nd act, and not the first, which is really alienating to anyone who didn't play Mirror of Fate.

Mr. RHC

They were on hand to consult, but they never 'left' the production they weren't on to begin with. Both games were developed by MercurySteam with KJP providing guidance on the first game.

Not to diminish their efforts, but rather quash misinformation.

EDIT: Beaten by SolidSnakex.

I think Kojima's involvement with the original was minimal. He suggested changes to the main character and oversaw the Japanese localization. For the most part it seems like he was just there to help people gain trust in Mercurysteam since their previous games weren't well received at all.

As i've said before, I think the biggest problem with this game is that they tried to change the formula into something that they can't pull off. The first game drew heavy comparisons to God of War, which Cox said "really pissed us off". He said that this one was structured more like a Zelda game. There's a lot more than can go wrong with a game structured like Zelda than one that's more in line with a GoW game.

Thanks for clearing things up, I stand corrected with the "big", a factor nonetheless.

My second theory is, they gave in to the people crying about how it is not "Castlevania" enough, but maybe there is another reason for that as well.

Seriously, am I the only one seeing this here? This looks ridiculous. Is it because of some weird perspective effect? Does it look like this to those playing the game as well? (pic is screenshots I took from TB's WTF Is video)

OAdO6cC.jpg

This is hilarious! Hold me closer, tiny vampire.

I was very excited for this game, but based on the reviews and the fact that it's last-gen only, I've decided to wait for the inevitable extreme price drop.

jett

D-Member
Seriously, am I the only one seeing this here? This looks ridiculous. Is it because of some weird perspective effect? Does it look like this to those playing the game as well? (pic is screenshots I took from TB's WTF Is video)

OAdO6cC.jpg

First exclusive picture of Lords of Shadow 3

qf5xKOs.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not far at all but so far it seems like if you enjoyed the first, warts and all, this will still be a good time for you. Glad they worked out the framerate as it makes a big difference.

The initial stealth segment was fine to me, but I'll see how the rest goes. The way the splits to the castle work have been weird so far, as it messes with the pacing of what's happening in the present day. Early boss:
In the middle of going into this corporation, I get sidetracked with the castle to get the sword. Now I just captured the scientist that is one of Satan's acolyte's and took another detour here instead of having a payoff for the fight.
Feels pretty weird on how that is for now.

And I still don't get why they made the chandelier swing momentum backwards!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Can someone explain to me:
How Dracula keeps warping between its Castle and the real world?. The Castle sections are memories of Dracula or the real thing?

Ahasverus

Can someone explain to me:
How Dracula keeps warping between its Castle and the real world?. The Castle sections are memories of Dracula or the real thing?
It's real in the sense that it exists physically, but it isn't in the sense that that's nt the real world... you'll find out why at the end.

Thorgi

I will say this, after watching the Quick Look: I appreciate the option to turn off bullshit Quick Time Events. Like, they shouldn't be there in the first place and it's tedious to just mash buttons if you want to open a door, but it's nice that someone saw they were awful and decided "OK, I'm just going to put this here...." It will save many players from abject tedium.

Dat
Gorgon
fight! I'm liking it a lot so far. Btw, Don't tell me the part Kotaku was stuck at for 4 hours that beginning stealth section. Was it?

Shinta

Banned
Being able to move the camera around, and back track is neat. I am not going to deny that.

But at the same time, I don't know if this game is going to massively benefit from either just yet. One thing I loved about Lords of Shadow was how gorgeous every level looked, and part of that was having cinematic camera angles pre-determined, framing every single shot in the game. Something else that was great is that you visited a ton of new areas constantly, and while you could re-select areas to do minimal backtracking, the game was more focused on just showing new stuff all the time, which I kind of prefer.

I also really liked having the whip platforming in the first game. I get that Dracula is more agile now, but so far the platforming feels like a step back from the first game's later levels. And having the camera angle free does kind of make it a bit messier, since the platforming was always so strictly set up on one set path anyway.

Does this game have challenges like the first game? I'm not liking the map so far, and I'm not sure how to really read it yet. I really enjoyed the first map in the first game with the percentages.

I will say though, damn, this castle is gorgeous. Loving it.

Levyne

Banned
Dat
Gorgon
fight! I'm liking it a lot so far. Btw, Don't tell me the part Kotaku was stuck at for 4 hours that beginning stealth section. Was it?

I also just fought that. I loved the set up and design, just felt like it needed to be more aggressive, wasn't a lot of attacks to avoid.

I'm in love with the switching back and forth between the castle and the other settings. IMO it keeps some serious variety going and makes it feel pretty unique. I can understand why some are put off on it, but the atmosphere during the modern/industrial stuff does remind me of the likes of Ninja Gaiden.

AppleMIX

Just got back from work. Loving the game so far, the stealth sections don't seem like a big deal at all.

Stuck though, trying to get the gloves.

Rokal

~3 hours in so far and having a great time. Review scores for the game have been pretty negative, but the text of the reviews all read pretty similar to what critics had to say about LoS1 so I didn't put much stock into them. If you liked LoS1, chances are you'll enjoy this too.

Finally got the game up and running on my laptop.

Wow, it runs really well when compared to the horrible performance mess that is Thief, and it looks pretty good with the High Res textures pack activated too.

Getting a decent 40 - 50 FPS with the following settings on my ancient laptop:-

Nice work on the PC optimization MercurySteam, it runs even better than the first CLOS did on my system.

Thinking about getting a stream of this going. Gotta go get the PS3 and put it in the office though. Regardless I need to start this game ASAP!

Grisby

Couple details after playing for another hour or two.

-Graphics look pretty good. Art design in the castle is off the hook (do people still say that?).
-Lot more sub weapons and the weapon mastery tree seems pretty cool. Combat is still LOS which is fine by me. Countering is a tad easier, which is also fine.
-The audio is a little low and the actors seem to be rushing their lines.
-All of the awesome LOS detail stuff is in here. The book and the lore, the hand drawn move sets, and the journals of the knights.
-Camera is a bit too close and the swinging mechanic for platforming is pretty jank.
-I had a pretty big laugh at being able to turn
into a deadly rat of the night. Gabriel just looks so funny leading his little rat army and jumping like pro.

So, yeah, I'm getting into it. The story hasn't really picked up yet but I'm loving the castle atmosphere.

One last bit, music is great.

Zeth

4 hours in - enjoying it. Some of he reviews lead me to believe it would be significantly worse than the first game, but I'm just not seeing that. And if it's like LoS, it should only get better (the stealth stuff sucks, but it's not game-breaking and I find them bearable).

The game is god damn beautiful on PC and runs like butter maxed out. It appears to have more advanced shader effects than LoS 1, some of the stuff is fairly impressive. I'm particularly fond of the blood stuff - it's not photo-realistic, but it looks really cool. I believe there are still some very talented artists who worked on the game, despite some inconsistency. As others have said, the modern era scenery is much less inspiring. And the music is great. Some of the quieter piano pieces in particular, almost reminded me of Inception OST at one point, might have to find a clip.

Ahasverus

Me too. I love it.

I have a feeling they wanted to have a reason why Dracula could
change into a rat.
Bet all of it stemmed from there. So far they aren't terrible but...yeah, it is very perplexing why they are even there in the first place.
Yeah I'd rather have the rat thing without stealth, a la Arkham Asylum, just a traversal mechanics. Rat stuff was cool, I think!

Shinta

Banned
I'm honestly loving the rat. I like how there's 9 of them and you can even
jump over flaming pits.

My dreams of a Beastmaster game have been ever so slightly fulfilled.

Is it just me, or does the
Gorgon/Medusa "masks" closely resemble the mask that Medusa wore in the original Castlevania? The three heads of the boss in this game all wear these white masks with eyes that resemble the shape of the eyes and mask of the Medusa boss in the original
. Not sure if it's intentional, but if it is, that's really fucking sweet.

george_us

I'm actually kind of enjoying these stealth sections. My only complaint about them is that they seem out of place in a Castlevania game but other than that they've been relatively inoffensive so far. The demo left a bad taste in my mouth but I'm quite enjoying what I've played.

Ahasverus

Is it just me, or does the
Gorgon/Medusa "masks" closely resemble the mask that Medusa wore in the original Castlevania? The three heads of the boss in this game all wear these white masks with eyes that resemble the shape of the eyes and mask of the Medusa boss in the original
. Not sure if it's intentional, but if it is, that's really fucking sweet.

The game has a few nice nods to the original. There's one specially that... almost killed me of joy.

The game has a few nice nods to the original. There's one specially that... almost killed me of joy.

I mean, I could be way off. I just sort of
noticed that the gorgons were wearing these white masks and it reminded me of the original Castlevania 1 boss' face
. Again, I could be way off and just fishing for connections, but I dunno. It's similar to me.

Oh, this game is fucking stellar. Every boss I've fought has been wonderfully satisfying and varied and the environments/scale just keeps getting better and better. I don't know if I agree that it feels like a Metroidvania, but it certainly does have a large, inter-connected world ala Arkham Asylum... which sort of did feel like Metroid in a way... hm. I guess there are resemblances, like in Mirror of Fate, but not totally.

Top Bottom