• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow Ultimate Edition |OT| Now at 60 FPS!

Head's up for all you potential buyers. Amazon DD has this on sale for $15 right now. I just got it and played up to the first titan
god that was so boring up to this point
. Runs smooth as butter and looks great, but my god the pre-rendered cutscenes are awful with low resolution, framerate, and jaggies everywhere.

I'm a bit further than the first ice titan fight and I'm still not really enjoying it.

I hated that titan fight, it just felt like a shitty version of Shadows of the Colossus (it's actually where I stopped playing when I tried the game on the PS3). I didn't even know you could dodge while on ledges until the third time it tossed me off and it finally told me that I could dodge. I just want to play a character action game, but after a few minutes of the combat it either ends the level, triggers a cutscene, or forces me to play a set-piece that plays differently (horse/werewolf fight, titan battle).

Another smaller issue, but all the camera cues seem to take just long enough to annoy me. It takes away control from me (which is not always clear, you just can't move all of a sudden), shows me something of interest (door, new item, etc.), sometimes pops up explanation text, then finally pans back to me to give me control. It all just takes a little too long, just long enough to bug me.

Also, is there a good AA solution for the game? The built in AA just seems to be some FXAA blurring stuff. I have an Nvidia card if there's a specific AA setting I should be using.

Bedlam

It's not really the game's fault if you don't pay attention.

People having problems with the Ice Titan is mind-boggling to me.

Anyway, it has been said over and over again in all LoS threads: first two or three chapters are slow and not really a good representation of how great the game actually is.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So getting this, been meaning to play the game for a long time, but with the announcement that this is coming to consoles as well, its time to jump in. So does anybody know anything about wheter to get it for PS3 or 360? And if this version have improved the performance a bit?

Got the game on the Halloween sale and been playing it since, the beggining was kinda dull (not bad but not great, the art style was excellent though).
I think I'm starting to enjoy the game, I just finished the third chapter which had a great boss fight (end of chapter 2 was not bad either). Combat is starting to get really nice too now that I have enough xp to unlock some combos. I gotta say I'm a bit overwhelmed by the movelist though, but more is better than less.

The only thing that has been bothering me is that it's really hard to beat packs of small enemies, they're too agressive to pick them 1 by 1 and the area attacks are too shitty to prevent them from moving, spamming grab is kinda effective but it feels like I'm playing a bad Zangief in SF4. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Hard. I hope there's some nice crowd control moves later in the game.

Just finished the game and holy shit that ending. I got some questions but I haven't started the DLC chapters yet so if this is answered in the DLC just say so, no need to answer the question :

1) Is this supposed to be a reboot of Castlevania ? There's some elements there and there but the game didn't feel like Castlevania for the most part.
2) How did Gabriel turn into a vampire ? Is he supposed to be Dracula in this Castlevania ?
3) Why the fuck is Zobek still here ? I thought he was a brotherhood soldier that got corruped by Satan and turned into a Lord of Shadow to be then killed by him but looks like nope.
4) Is that the corpse of the bird boss that's in several Castlevania games that you can see in the last cutscene in the cathedral ?

Just finished the game and holy shit that ending. I got some questions but I haven't started the DLC chapters yet so if this is answered in the DLC just say so, no need to answer the question :

1) Is this supposed to be a reboot of Castlevania ? There's some elements there and there but the game didn't feel like Castlevania for the most part.
2) How did Gabriel turn into a vampire ? Is he supposed to be Dracula in this Castlevania ?
3) Why the fuck is Zobek still here ? I thought he was a brotherhood soldier that got corruped by Satan and turned into a Lord of Shadow to be then killed by him but looks like nope.
4) Is that the corpse of the bird boss that's in several Castlevania games that you can see in the last cutscene in the cathedral ?

1) Yes, this throws out the old timeline entirely. You've pointed out the most common criticism of the game, but it's not one I agree with.
2) Play the DLC and you'll see.
3) It's pretty well implied that Zobek became Death.
4) Slogra and Gaibon, yes (neither is a bird though).

1) Yes, this throws out the old timeline entirely. You've pointed out the most common criticism of the game, but it's not one I agree with.
2) Play the DLC and you'll see.
3) It's pretty well implied that Zobek became Death.
4) Slogra and Gaibon, yes (neither is a bird though).

All right thanks ! Just finished the DLCs now it a little more clear,
I still don't understand where it is implied that Zobek became death though, maybe I missed something ?

Also, is it just me or the Forgotten One boss fight was really badly designed ? The lasts forms where you need to hit his upper body really are bullshit since you don't have that many aerial combos, I even had to turn on the difficulty to easy for his head. It was probably doable if I took my time but it would have been really tedious and the fight would have taken ages.

Parsnip

Also, is it just me or the Forgotten One boss fight was really badly designed ? The lasts forms where you need to hit his upper body really are bullshit since you don't have that many aerial combos, I even had to turn on the difficulty to easy for his head. It was probably doable if I took my time but it would have been really tedious and the fight would have taken ages.[/SPOILER]

Yes, on all counts. I played it through on hardest on 360, and I don't think I'm going to do that again on PC. Just no thanks. Chipping his health away like that is just bullshit.

I seem to have hit a bug in Chapter 10 at the Titan Graveyard. I'm trying to get the second set of keys from the walking coffins, but when I enter the cave the enemies that drop the key don't spawn. They spawned once the first time I went in, but I died soon after. I reloaded my checkpoint and now I can't get them to spawn. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or if my game is borked?

Chinbo37

Picked this up in the steam sale a couple days ago for 13 EUR.

Since i built my gaming PC back in March this is the first new game I have gotten. Previously i was playing Bioshock 1 and skyrim lol.

Looks great at 1080p. I never played GOW before but I am a huge castlevania fan, that being said I hope the vibe picks up a bit, just finished first chapter.

ezekial45

Banned
How do you fix the issue with game not displaying on start up? I'm running off a TV in 1788x992, but the game is just giving me a large white box in the corner, and eventually a black screen with the sound going in the background.

Is there a way to get it into windowed mode before start up?

Bought this on the Steam sale, gonna play tonight. Played the 360 version for a few hours, but like others I got turned off by the frame rate.

Looking forward to playing this with a decent frame rate, I hear the games pretty lengthy.

So people are saying the first two or three chapters aren't as good As the rest of the game...roughly how many gameplay hours does it take to get past the first few chapters?

So people are saying the first two or three chapters aren't as good As the rest of the game...roughly how many gameplay hours does it take to get past the first few chapters?

The latter half of the game is definitely better than the first half, but I disagree with the notion that the game just becomes magically amazing at a certain point. I think if you're not liking the game early on you probably won't like it much more later on. I thought it was really good all the way through but that the first three chapters or so are drawn out and kind of boring compared to the rest. However I don't find the rest of the game to be dramatically superior or anything, but definitely better in some ways (art/atmosphere/pacing).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's a really terrible idea to start off an action game with slow plodding through a swamp, honestly. What were they thinking?

That said yeah the game doesn't turn magically better, but it does improve at around chapter 4 or so. Still deeply flawed and obnoxiously modern, though... the QTEs, hand-holding, repetitive narration and shallow design won't go away magically. ;)

It's a really terrible idea to start off an action game with slow plodding through a swamp, honestly. What were they thinking?

That said yeah the game doesn't turn magically better, but it does improve at around chapter 4 or so. Still deeply flawed and obnoxiously modern, though... the QTEs, hand-holding, repetitive narration and shallow design won't go away magically. ;)

Well I've played about ninety minutes so far, and so far I like. Framerate is smooooth

Chinbo37

Picked this up in the steam sale a couple days ago for 13 EUR.

Since i built my gaming PC back in March this is the first new game I have gotten. Previously i was playing Bioshock 1 and skyrim lol.

Looks great at 1080p. I never played GOW before but I am a huge castlevania fan, that being said I hope the vibe picks up a bit, just finished first chapter.

just finished it, playing the DLC now. I thought it was a great game, graphics and atmosphere were especially great during the castle/approaching the castle parts.

The last couple of areas while looking cool, didnt quite have the castlevania vibe.

I cannot wait until LoS2 ... will be getting the PC version again

Sorry for the necromancy (heh heh), but I just finished this game and am only left with 2 achievements before I perfect it (110 and Paladin Difficulty). Are the DLCs included in the 110/Paladin requirements?

DemWalls

Whew, talk about a necrobump.

Anyway, I happen to have a Steam key for this game. If anyone's truly interested, PM me something funny and I'll gladly give you the code.

Top Bottom