• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is 20 years old!

jett

D-Member
SoTN is without a doubt the best game of the PS1, and one of the most enduring and ageless of its generation. Decidedly the best in the franchise, and better than all of IGA's posterior clones put together.

My favorite Metroidvania. Metroid gets the nod for atmosphere, but SotN established the genre tropes.

SotN is incredibly atmospheric. I would say more than Metroid. Super Metroid in a way provided the basic skeleton of the metroidvania genre, and SotN built on top of that. All in all though they're similar games though.

Guys, I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself if Bloodstained doesn't live up to my hype levels.

Hollow Knight is the best game in the genre since SotN. IMO very little chance any IGA game measures up.

Pejo

One of my top 3 games of all time, it's been a few years since my last playthrough, might have to dig out the ol' Vita.

Superb game. Soundtrack, aesthetics, atmosphere -- all perfect. Even the cheesy voice acting and FMV clips work somehow. A true work of beauty. I do think the Igavanias after have built upon and refined the gameplay (Sorrow games and Ecclesia), and I think traversing the castle could be smoother, but the overall package of SoTN is unmatched.

Maedhros

Just have to get the ring in the inverted entryway that absorbs lightning

The ring is on the place with the craziest secret ever, If I'm not mistaken... the wolf, bat cave.

Superb game. Soundtrack, aesthetics, atmosphere -- all perfect. Even the cheesy voice acting and FMV clips work somehow. A true work of beauty. I do think the Igavanias after have built upon and refined the gameplay (Sorrow games and Ecclesia), and I think traversing the castle could be smoother, but the overall package of SoTN is unmatched.

That's right. I actually prefer Aria and Order of Ecclesia over SOTN from a purely gameplay perspective. But the overall package SOTN delivered is fucking insane. No other game in the series has the ammount of secrets that SOTN had.

Wow 20 years huh. This game is a masterpiece. The art, music, graphics, gameplay and voice's (though quite cheesy) are all top notch for its time. I love how this game pretty much created a genre known as Metroidvania.

I got it for my x360 years ago, but never put much into it... might have to give it a try. Incidentally its BC on the Xbox One too :)

SheHateMe

Definitely one of my top 3 games of all time (Tetris and Super Mario World included).

I don't mind the voice acting at all; as a matter of fact, I love it and wouldn't change a thing. (Same way I have a soft spot for the original Resident Evil's voice acting. It's cheesy in all the right places.)

I've played this game and completed it (200.6% and above with glitching) numerous times across PS1, PS2 (from PS1 disc), PS3 (both PS1 disc and PSN version), PSP (both original and DXC versions), PS Vita (PSN version), Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

I'd play it again, right now, if I weren't at work.

The soundtrack is my favorite of all time, with Parasite Eve coming in at a close second.

I can't gush enough about this game, minor flaws and all. Still a 10/10 from me, even 20 years later.

ThEoRy...

Just finished 2 playthroughs very recently. Still awesome after all these years. Story, art, music, gameplay, secrets, simply amazing. Certain things are extremely op like the ring of varda, crissagrim, shield rod + Alucard Shield. Part of it's charm though. Always worth a playthrough every few years. Hard to believe it's been 20 already.

Newboi

Crissagrim + Alucard's set + Two Rings of Varda + 99 Luck = The Most Broken Videogame Hero Ever!

SOTN is awesome. There are so many ways you can play through game. It's almost too fun.

I've heard that you could glitch the map in such a way that you could rediscover everything and the Wall armor would continue to scale (basically, you become invulnerable).

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
One of only a few games from that generation that I'll go back and play. Considering picking it up again if only to get away from all the open world stuff I've been doing recently.

Fun fact: don't use the FPse emulator for this game.
It messes with the in-game clock and prevents you from accessing certain areas later in the game (since the statues by the giant clock in the middle of the map move depending on your play time)

Shit how time flies... I remember purchasing this when it was new... I still have the original game in it's case (non greatest hits version too).

I tried playing this for the first time last week and guys, I'm defective. I don't like it. My biggest gripe is being juggled. If you get hit, you are completely vunerable and stunned. Then you can get hit by another enemy. Rinse. Repeat. It's super annoying. It's also really annoying when in platforming sections when you are trying to jump but a stupid bird comes out of nowhere and knocks you back to the bottom.

I played the other Castlevania games for the first time last year and loved them all but I can't get into this one. I love the artwork, music and dig the RPG elements but the game is just frustrating. Does anyone have any tips or is it just not going to click for me?

Foffy

Banned
I tried playing this for the first time last week and guys, I'm defective. I don't like it. My biggest gripe is being juggled. If you get hit, you are completely vunerable and stunned. Then you can get hit by another enemy. Rinse. Repeat. It's super annoying. It's also really annoying when in platforming sections when you are trying to jump but a stupid bird comes out of nowhere and knocks you back to the bottom.

I played the other Castlevania games for the first time last year and loved them all but I can't get into this one. I love the artwork, music and dig the RPG elements but the game is just frustrating. Does anyone have any tips or is it just not going to click for me?

You get juggled in other Castlevanias.

Have you played Rondo of Blood?

Foffy

Banned
Not yet, just 1 through 4. I guess it's more noticeable because there's more enemies on the screen so it's more likely to happen?

That may play a role.

I also brought up Rondo is it has very few invincibility frames, so you're likely to get juggled there too. Much of the staff between that game and SotN are also shared, and of course there's the fact SotN is the sequel to RoB.

Played it a couple years ago. Unfortunately outside of the amazing aesthetics, it didn't do much for me. I wasn't super impressed with the level/encounter design, nor the RPG elements.

RangerX

Banned
Quite simply one of the greatest games ever made and a masterpiece of level design. Getting to the second castle is one of my fondest gaming memories. The soundtrack is also in my all time top 3.

Just finished this for the first time about a month ago... Fantastic game with an amazing soundtrack. Anyone who hasn't played it and likes action platformers owes it to themselves to play it.

Anno

Is it really better than Momodora: RutM?

I think so, and RutM was in my top 5 games last year. Especially for one such as yourself that enjoys the atmospheric side of Dark Souls. This is the first game I've played not made by From that really captured what made those worlds special and mysterious.

It's also like 40 hours of content for $15 with additional stuff coming down the way.

JMY86

Wow, it's crazy that it has been 20 years since this came out I must be getting old or something. A truly brilliant game that has a permanent place in my top 10 if all time.

I played this game for the first time in 2015, It blows my mind how similar it is to Dark Souls when it comes to level design and game progression. Miyazaki definitely take some notes from the series.

I now understand why people say Souls series are basically just really well made 3D Castlevania games...

Seriously, If you are a big old school Castlevania fan and you want to experience that magic in 3D, play Dark Souls.
Not Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls 2 and 3, not Bloodbonre, but Dark Souls.
The level design is godlike, just like SotN.

I played this game for the first time in 2015, It blows my mind how similar it is to Dark Souls when it comes to level design and game progression. Miyazaki definitely take some notes from the series.

I now understand why people say Souls series are basically just really well made 3D Castlevania games...

Seriously, If you are a big old school Castlevania fan and you want to experience that magic in 3D, play Dark Souls.
Not Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls 2 and 3, not Bloodbonre, but Dark Souls.
The level design is godlike, just like SotN.

SOTN or no SOTN, Demon's Souls and everything that came from it are all practically "This is how a 3D Castlevania game should have been" statement (considering every Castlevania game)

daevv

"I'm interested in this"

My top 3 that switch around as my top 1 of all time depending on which one I've played last.

Witcher 3
Portal 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

the 20th anniversary ripping off super metroid

It's not ripping it off, but what does bother me is how people coined the genre "Metroidvania", when in it's really "Metroid" only. Metroid style games, Castlevania did little for the genre (Even Castlevania 2 came out after Zelda 2, another game by Nintendo with similar characteristics to Metroid).

MrBS

I picked up a greatest hits copy when I started importing US games around 2001, got it on xbox 360, PSN, the PSP games with it too. I've probably only put an hour into it total. I must rectify this at some point.

groansey

Played it for the first time on Vita a few years ago as it never seemed accessible to me back in the day, I remember finding Super Castlevania on Snes too difficult so wrote off the series until Dawn of Sorrow.

Dawn of Sorrow is still my favourite Castlevania, but SOTN is a close second and the playthrough was extremely engrossing for a 20 year old game. I can appreciate it as a classic and the series is now one of my favourites. Fingers crossed for Bloodstained.

Ganondorfo

Stupid question: why dont many game have perfect soundtracks like Symphony of the Night. Almost every track on that game is memorable or maybe its nostalgia speaking.

Top Bottom