• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave shmups coming to Steam - Winter 2015, published by Degica

Ninja Dom

What are Cave up to nowadays?

I bought almost all of their iOS shooters, loved them. A shame they stopped making anymore.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What are Cave up to nowadays?

I bought almost all of their iOS shooters, loved them. A shame they stopped making anymore.

Short answer: they put their arcade game business on hold and ceased porting their arcade games to consoles, and refocused to mobile development and other amusement games like mahjong.

They did release two new original shmups for smartphones in Japan but they're packed with the usual mobile garbage and don't much resemble their other games. Their newer one (Mahou Otome) is actually okay, or so I hear.

Balb

Good thread title change. I avoided it for a bit because I thought Cave Games was some strange spinoff of California/Winter Games.

dani_dc

This is amazing, a few years ago people would say this and it would come off as a pipe-dream, and yet here we are!

Dachande

Excellent. Get them released and out there and let us give Cave the money they so desperately need. Much of their schmup library may be on MAME, but I'm more than happy to spend money to get some nice polished ports with proper horizontal display options. I think I already own nearly everything they put out on iOS.

I wonder if they do well enough whether Cave would restart schmup development..? Or at least dive even further into the back catalogue somehow...

Well was kind of a now or never cituation, since demul/MAME emulation of those games was getting better and so was 360 emulation for 2D games on windows.

Well, I did get each and every LE version of their 360 games, I hope we get arcade perfect ports, but will probably end up with the 360 versions at best (more modes, HD, but slowdowns were never 100% right (critical part of those games) and a bit of input lag(which most ppl won't notice, but using a usb control/os/software layer can't just beat direct input to a pcb with low res analog output. ))) or iOS at worst.

But don't get me wrong, if you never played the arcade(pcb (right way to emulate slowdown/blithering in Mame/demul isn't implemented/fured out yet, and with this announcement won't be now.) version extensively you'll have a blast with those games, I know I did.
I forked out like 70-90€ for each and everyone of them (new) and thought it was a bargain for playing an enhanced but a tad inaccurate version of some extremely rare and expensive PCBs. (try to trackdown a Mushihimesama Matsuri V1.5, Ibara Kuro, Deathsmiles MegablackLabel, Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (jp not international ver), Akai Katana Home ver., they go for more than 1000€ IF you can find one that is.)

I'm glad they released it and make more money out of this but the ports won't be arcade perfect and MAME will stop working on and documenting Cave cv1K boards for years, and it worries me because those use shitty chip, which are starting to fail.

Basically I think this is very bad news for arcade preservation (because that's what MAME is about, if you didn't know, check out the source code and you'll get it, it's not about programming/emulating first, but about documentation and preservation of sometime dying systems). (sorry to burst everyone's bubble)

But 99.99% dont care about that and new ppl will get to discover and enjoy great games with good enough port so it's not that bad I guess. (well Muchi-Muchi Pork&Pink Sweets port was shit though lol)

Yes Boss!

Well was kind of a now or never cituation, since demul/MAME emulation of those games was getting better and so was 360 emulation for 2D games on windows.

Well, I did get each and every LE version of their 360 games, I hope we get arcade perfect ports, but will probably end up with the 360 versions at best (more modes, HD, but slowdowns were never 100% right (critical part of those games) and a bit of input lag(which most ppl won't notice, but using a usb control/os/software layer can't just beat direct input to a pcb with low res analog output. ))) or iOS at worst.

But don't get me wrong, if you never played the arcade(pcb (right way to emulate slowdown/blithering in Mame/demul isn't implemented/fured out yet, and with this announcement won't be now.) version extensively you'll have a blast with those games, I know I did.
I forked out like 70-90€ for each and everyone of them (new) and thought it was a bargain for playing an enhanced but a tad inaccurate version of some extremely rare and expensive PCBs. (try to trackdown a Mushihimesama Matsuri V1.5, Ibara Kuro, Deathsmiles MegablackLabel, Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (jp not international ver), Akai Katana Home ver., they go for more than 1000€ IF you can find one that is.)

I'm glad they released it and make more money out of this but the ports won't be arcade perfect and MAME will stop working on and documenting Cave cv1K boards for years, and it worries me because those use shitty chip, which are starting to fail.

Basically I think this is very bad news for arcade preservation (because that's what MAME is about, if you didn't know, check out the source code and you'll get it, it's not about programming/emulating first, but about documentation and preservation of sometime dying systems). (sorry to burst everyone's bubble)

But 99.99% dont care about that and new ppl will get to discover and enjoy great games with good enough port so it's not that bad I guess. (well Muchi-Muchi Pork&Pink Sweets port was shit though lol)

You sound so bitter.

Best news of 2015!

That's not 100% true, MAMEdev was clearly about that "we don't emulate CAVE games because they begged" some years ago and it was some kind of myth, they will continue to improve the MAME drivers (if they want).

Degica has published stuff on gog too, so fingers crossed they'll appear there too.

Is there a list anywhere of which games they retain full rights to?

Justinh

This is cool. I've only started playing shmups like, end of July and have only played the two Dodonpachi 360 games, Guwange, and Akai Katana. I've kinda fallen off playing them since I've been replaying Ground Zeroes, but this makes me happy and I'll probably be buying their stuff when it releases.

Mbrill82

Oh my god, such good news. Steam/PC really is the most logical place for Cave games in my opinion. Most sticks, regardless of which console they are for will also work on PC so thats a big plus.

Shooting games are my absolute favorite genre behind JRPGs.

shockdude

Oh man this is exciting. Only played Espgaluda II & Dodonpachi Resurrection on a phone, looking forward to playing them using proper keyboard controls.

Fantastic news! Already own all the 360 ones but will definitely re-buy to have them all in the one place on Steam as opposed to having them split over a PAL and Japanese 360.

Top Bottom