• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave shmups coming to Steam - Winter 2015, published by Degica

system11

For awhile, it seemed like the company was so trapped in their presumption that they should be a premium-priced product, that they'd rather die than give up that mandate.

Why shouldn't they be a standard priced product, are we going to say that some genres are inherently less valuable than others?

@MUWANdo

Banned
There are a ton of factors that have kept CAVE games off PC until now, not just price/value concerns. Please don't turn this thread into bickering about how much shmup devs should/shouldn't charge for their games, it rarely ends well and it's never fun to read.

There are a ton of factors that have kept CAVE games off PC until now, not just price/value concerns. Please don't turn this thread into bickering about how much shmup devs should/shouldn't charge for their games, it rarely ends well and it's never fun to read.

Thank you.

This is happy news that deserves a happy thread.

system11

Basically I think this is very bad news for arcade preservation (because that's what MAME is about, if you didn't know, check out the source code and you'll get it, it's not about programming/emulating first, but about documentation and preservation of sometime dying systems). (sorry to burst everyone's bubble)

I disagree - the ports will not reduce interest in completing emulation, in fact just in the last couple of weeks x-rays were made of a SH-3 board to better understand how some of the components are hooked up. People who are into hardware emulation aren't doing it because they want to play the games, it works like climbing a mountain just because it's there.

Additionally this is more likely to be beneficial for preservation. Preservation is not people throwing down 1000 euros on rare games to play at home, preservation is a higher number of people safely shelving them and using them less often - remember that these have finite lifespans. I've seen two repeated failure types on SH3 games (Mushi onwards) already, both are driven by length of use and only one of them is fixable.

As someone who does actually own all of them I'd love it if I could play a port of Mushihimesama 1.5 instead of having to plug the PCB into the cab. I could enjoy the game for hours on end and not put additional mileage on the circuit board, not worry about power spikes, not worry about the PSU failing and taking the game with it, not worrying about the CRT exploding and feeding back down the video wires (I've seen this happen.... RIP Time Crisis 2) It's just logic.

Dremark

Banned
I own every PS2 and 360 Cave port. Still buying every single one of these, so long as the ports are decent.

I own them all too but I'm not going to rebuy anything I already own. PC is one of the last places I'd want to play these games, but if they port something that hasn't gotten a release already I'll buy for sure.

Even Dangun Feveron which I feel is thier weakest game in the genre.

yopmoi

It's happening!!

For me it's a GIGATON.

Dodonpachi, muchi muchi pork, espgaluda 2, mushihimesama,... I want it all!!

Nice. I've gotten a lot out of their 360 and ios offerings. Most recently been getting back into Akai Katana. Priority for me would be getting some of those ios offerings up on Steam as the 360 is happily staying put but my old iPod 4 battery is declining badly. The iPod has basically been left in offline stasis as a handheld Cave machine.

Tain

So do you think they'll start with big names by releasing DoDonPachi, maybe porting the Xbox 360 version that came with Instant Brain?

Or do you think they'll go with an easy-as-possible port of one of their lesser-received Windows-based arcade games (Akai Katana Nesica ver or Deathsmiles 2) to ease into things?

the possibilities

Kudo

I hope DeathSmiles 2 is their priority, only one I really want to play as Europe didn't get that.

So which game does everyone want the most? I could go for any of them as I love all shmups.

DonPachi
DoDonPachi
Steep Slope Sliders
ESP Ra.De.
Uo Poko
Dangun Feveron / Fever S.O.S.
Guwange
Progear: Storm of Progear
DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
Espgaluda
Mushihimesama 2004
Ibara
Puzzle! Mushihimetama
Espgaluda II
Ibara Kuro: Black Label
Pink Sweets: Ibara Sorekara
Mushihimesama Futari
Muchi Muchi Pork!
Deathsmiles
DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu
Omatsuri Yasan: Kingyo Sukui
Omatsuri Yasan: Ganso Takoyaki
Deathsmiles II: Makai no Merry Christmas
Akai Katana
DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou

LiK

^ all of them. but most importantly, all the 360 ones I imported so if my 360 breaks, I can play them on my PC.

DESTROYA

NICE!
It's about time we get to play them on PC, will definetly buy most if not all but I do suck at shmups.
I first fell in love with these type of games when I started gaming...can't wait!
Any word on when we might see the first game?

Tain

Futari would be a great starting point. Personally, I want a good Ibara port ASAP since the 360 ports are still functional and wonderful and all, but I know not to expect that.

So which game does everyone want the most? I could go for any of them as I love all shmups.

DonPachi
DoDonPachi
Steep Slope Sliders
ESP Ra.De.
Uo Poko
Dangun Feveron / Fever S.O.S.
Guwange
Progear: Storm of Progear
DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
Espgaluda
Mushihimesama 2004
Ibara
Puzzle! Mushihimetama
Espgaluda II
Ibara Kuro: Black Label
Pink Sweets: Ibara Sorekara
Mushihimesama Futari
Muchi Muchi Pork!
Deathsmiles
DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu
Omatsuri Yasan: Kingyo Sukui
Omatsuri Yasan: Ganso Takoyaki
Deathsmiles II: Makai no Merry Christmas
Akai Katana
DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou

tumblr_lraso8OpIj1qcqugio4_250.gif

Definitely going to second the Ibara port although the difficulty will absolutely crush beginners. Possibly CAVE's hardest default difficulty. But let's be real it's worth the pain because you get to spend the whole game blowing up buildings for gold medallions.

Varth

Every time something is announced about CAVE stuff I dive in expecting the games to finally land on PSsomething. And everytime I leave disappointed. Is there STILL some reason I don't understand for them not to port their stuff over to PS4, given the ease of development and small pub/dev support shown by the 3rd party people like Shahid?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely going to second the Ibara port although the difficulty will absolutely crush beginners. Possibly CAVE's hardest default difficulty. But let's be real it's worth the pain because you get to spend the whole game blowing up buildings for gold medallions.
I really wish they got us the games that never had console releases like Ibara Kuro, Dangun Feveron, ESP. Ra. De., etc.

Top Bottom