• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave shmups coming to Steam - Winter 2015, published by Degica

@MUWANdo

Banned
To anyone who's reading this and is somewhat excited but doesn't really enjoy bullet hell games, I recommend you take a look at some of the other games Degica has or is bringing over--XIIZeal (and the upcoming DeltaZeal) are Raiden-style games, and Eschatos feels like a 2010s take on '80s shooters like Zanac or Star Soldier.

Despite what people may think, there are still a wide variety of shmups being made by all sorts of developers; the market isn't all bullet hell games or touhou clones, but when any of these games succeed, the genre as a whole gets a boost.

So what would be everyone's favourite choice for "a" (hopefully first of many) game? I'd personally like Espgaluda best.

I'm no expert at CAVE shmups, but I would really like the chance to play DaiOuJou, since I played most other Dodonpachi games, but never got to play that one.

Personally, the game I want to see most is Mushihime-sama Futari, since it's the Cave game (that I haven't played already) that I'm the most interested in, and I don't have a 360. But honestly, I'd be really happy to see them put any game up that isn't already available on a US 360 just for the sake of making that stuff more available.

I hope Espgaluda and Ketsui make it eventually but I do hope that they aren't the first ones. I love them both but I already own both; I'd rather see something new to me show up first.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
To anyone who's reading this and is somewhat excited but doesn't really enjoy bullet hell games, I recommend you take a look at some of the other games Degica has or is bringing over--XIIZeal (and the upcoming DeltaZeal) are Raiden-style games, and Eschatos feels like a 2010s take on '80s shooters like Zanac or Star Soldier.

Despite what people may think, there are still a wide variety of shmups being made by all sorts of developers; the market isn't all bullet hell games or touhou clones, but when any of these games succeed, the genre as a whole gets a boost.

There's also Raiden IV: Overkill coming out on PC next month.

This is still so weird. How did the PC, of all things, become the dominant shmup platform this gen? The only non-PC shmup this gen that's worth a damn (as far as I'm aware) is Astebreed's improved PS4 release.

Bring all the Cave shmups. Every single last one of them. And when Cave sees some success, hopefully Treasure retries their Steam initiative.

Risette

A Good Citizen
a neat thing to have in these ports would be scanlines since a lot of pc users have monitors above 1080p and the upscaled 2d visuals would look much better with scanlines. mushi futari 360's visual options would be a good reference.

tbh as someone who owns every 360 cave game except one, expanded visual options (which would imo be pretty necessary for a pc release given how many high res monitors are out there now) would definitely get me to rebuy

Tain

This is still so weird. How did the PC, of all things, become the dominant shmup platform this gen? The only non-PC shmup this gen that's worth a damn (as far as I'm aware) is Astebreed's improved PS4 release.

Raiden IV actually comes out on Thursday!

And while I guess it is dominant compared to the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One, when it comes to new games (or new-to-home games) the exclusive selection is still pretty much just Crimzon Clover. Hopefully in time we'll see one of the big names (Cave, M2, G.Rev, Treasure) make some great original game or we'll see a new-to-home game get ported to PC.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully in time we'll see one of the big names (Cave, M2, G.Rev, Treasure) make some great original game or we'll see a new-to-home game get ported to PC.
?

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors got announced to PC literally last month.

I think Dodonpachi would be a cool place to start. It is probably the closest thing the bullethell genre has to a 'Street Fighter 2', right?

That said I agree that the evidence does appear to lean to Mushi, probably Futari. Which is totally cool with me. Love me some Futari.

Tain

?

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors got announced to PC literally last month.

Wow, yeah, I don't know how I forgot. I guess I was thinking of PC exclusives, but still, an up-front announcement of a PC version like that is a huge deal and given the arcade game's display layout it may wind up being that much better on PC.

That was actually a little salt maker for me- and Jamestown + got a similar treatment, if memory serves. I'm glad people get a chance to enjoy them though

Durante

Raiden IV actually comes out on Thursday!

And while I guess it is dominant compared to the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One, when it comes to new games (or new-to-home games) the exclusive selection is still pretty much just Crimzon Clover. Hopefully in time we'll see one of the big names (Cave, M2, G.Rev, Treasure) make some great original game or we'll see a new-to-home game get ported to PC.
What about Touhou?
I know it has a bad reputation among some shmup fans for some infathomable reason, but many of the Touhou games are pretty damn great and they are all part of the "exclusive selection".

Disclaimer: I adore Touhou bullet patterns.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Touhou is a sore spot for a lot of people because it pushed a lot of games/devs to fill their games full of moe girls or to treat them as platforms to sell merchandise, and because the fandom that surrounds touhou is a MLP-esque ouroboros of obsession that doesn't make much sense from the outside.

I don't think people are dismissive of the games themselves or the creator; a lot of people have just reached the point where they've totally tuned out on everything touhou and don't even think about it anymore.

microfolk

Touhou is a sore spot for a lot of people because it pushed a lot of games/devs to fill their games full of moe girls or to treat them as platforms to sell merchandise, and because the fandom that surrounds touhou is a MLP-esque ouroboros of obsession that doesn't make much sense from the outside.

I don't think people are dismissive of the games themselves or the creator; a lot of people have just reached the point where they've totally tuned out on everything touhou and don't even think about it anymore.

Really though? I mean I'm not denying Touhou's influence in the doujin sphere, it's incredible how strong its presence is after 13 years from Touhou 6, but outside of that? I don't think CAVE was looking at Touhou when they decided to take a shot at teenage anime tiddies with Mushihimesama, Ibara and Deathsmiles (and if they did oh boy did they miss the poin of Touhou's aesthetic) and even in the doujin world outside of the most blatant Touhou clones it seems to me the vast majority of decent STGs stray away from the cute aesthetic.... What's the last game which starred a fairy as a character, Yakouga 5? /s

I'm sorry for going OT and I hope this doesn't come off as aggressive, I'm really trying to figure out these things and while I'm really passionate about Touhou I'm not going to deny how awful the fandom is, it's utter trash

Regarding CAVE games I hope they will start with Dodonpachi or the Mushis, I need my easy clears in order to build my self esteem >:^] I'm also in love with Mushihimesama settings , big anime tiddies excluded.

magnetic

I´m going to get my old Windows machine out of the drawer just for Muchi Pork alone - I´ve never seen a shmup appeal so much to my personal taste since Armed Police Batrider.

This is really some "am I dreaming?" level of megaton!

cj_iwakura

What about Touhou?
I know it has a bad reputation among some shmup fans for some infathomable reason, but many of the Touhou games are pretty damn great and they are all part of the "exclusive selection".

It's mostly the anime aesthetics, at least from what I gather at system11. Too much moe, not enough mecha.

I guess while we are stuck in the lull of waiting for more information.. Let's talk rotating monitor stands!

I've been using this Monoprice stand for sometime. It is cheap, good quality, and allows my 27" to rotate. The only downside is I couldn't get the bolts tightened just right so it wouldn't easily slack when even lightly bumped and I ended up over torquing and stripping them so the angle has been permanent since the day I got it. Fortunately it is an overall good angle but some adjustment from time to time would be nice.

What setup is everyone else using? Other stands? Kicking it old school and resting a CRT on its side?

Here is an old pic from when I first got it.

ampRWtI.jpg

Tain

What about Touhou?

In this case, you've caught me specifically thinking about Steam. I don't have any strong opinions about Touhou. I dabbled with the series up to probably 2009 or so, and I found the games solid but never put real time into any of them. Maybe I should try the recent Playism localization.

Now that I'm thinking about non-Steam releases I'm also remembering Siter Skain's upcoming Armed Dragoon, which I'm very excited for.

linko9

I guess while we are stuck in the lull of waiting for more information.. Let's talk rotating monitor stands!

I've been using this Monoprice stand for sometime. It is cheap, good quality, and allows my 27" to rotate. The only downside is I couldn't get the bolts tightened just right so it wouldn't easily slack when even lightly bumped and I ended up over torquing and stripping them so the angle has been permanent since the day I got it. Fortunately it is an overall good angle but some adjustment from time to time would be nice.

What setup is everyone else using? Other stands? Kicking it old school and resting a CRT on its side?

Here is an old pic from when I first got it.

I've been turning my laptop on its side for years... luckily with no problems.

Ergotron Neoflex for under £40, 24" is the max size though (although you should be ok with slightly larger if it has a slim bezal)

If your desk is up against a wall, resting the LCD on a pair of canvas trainers works almost as good.

SOME-MIST

gonna be in my new place by the time it releases so I'll probably have my nec xm29 tate setup next to my hd monitor.

just sold my bvm 20f1u so can't rely on that any more D:

mdsfx

The STG community has a "Fuck the fancy! If it works it works" vibe that I can really get behind.
Ugh, i was digging for an image I remember seeing in the shmups forum titled "lazy tate," but no luck :(
It was just some guy laying on his side playing, rather than turning his monitor

Producer

What about Touhou?

Touhou is great. Theres various reasons why people dont like it but Perfect Cherry Blossom is a gem that any shmup fan should play.

therapist

Personally, the game I want to see most is Mushihime-sama Futari, since it's the Cave game (that I haven't played already) that I'm the most interested in, and I don't have a 360. But honestly, I'd be really happy to see them put any game up that isn't already available on a US 360 just for the sake of making that stuff more available.

I hope Espgaluda and Ketsui make it eventually but I do hope that they aren't the first ones. I love them both but I already own both; I'd rather see something new to me show up first.

mushihimesama futari is fantastic

one of my favorite cave shmups

cant wait for some of these to hit steam time to double dip (Own some of them including mushi on 360)

Durante

Touhou is great. Theres various reasons why people dont like it but Perfect Cherry Blossom is a gem that any shmup fan should play.
Yeah, PCB is my favourite Touhou overall (and probably my favourite STG too). Also the only (mainline) Touhou game I 1CC'd (on normal). And I'm no shmup god, so that means I put a lot of time into it :p

Ugh, i was digging for an image I remember seeing in the shmups forum titled "lazy tate," but no luck :(
It was just some guy laying on his side playing, rather than turning his monitor

I know the image you speak of but failed to find it as well. I was reminded how much the laid over CRT reminds me of the whole "Go home, you're drunk!" thing.

PXPVr29.jpg

oM3qPes.jpg

2M1p7Rw.jpg

Looking forward to playing Daifukkatsu the most (that was the last Pachi game, right?), followed by Espgaluda 2. Curious to see how TATE mode will turn out on a 3:2 screen. I have high hopes it will be wonderful, a world above when I tried to play it that way on my old 16:9 monitor.

mdsfx

Looking forward to playing Daifukkatsu the most (that was the last Pachi game, right?), followed by Espgaluda 2. Curious to see how TATE mode will turn out on a 3:2 screen. I have high hopes it will be wonderful, a world above when I tried to play it that way on my old 16:9 monitor.
The latest is Saidaioujou, while DFK was previous to that.

epmode

One of my favorite things about the Acer XB270HU is that it actually has a swivel for easy tate mode. I didn't even know about it when I bought it!

Momentary

Banned
The background image they are using for the website is from Mushimesama Futari Black Label. Pretty sure that's what we'll be getting. That ROG Swift investment is just getting better and better.

SOME-MIST

The background image they are using for the website is from Mushimesama Futari Black Label. Pretty sure that's what we'll be getting. That ROG Swift investment is just getting better and better.

not so sure about that

if you look at this - the site that hosts it lists it as mushi futari ultra mode, but the player 1 font in the top left is blue. also it seem's like the final non-bombable pattern of tlb in mushihimesama ultra https://youtu.be/PP-mePr1-ZQ?t=129

Narroo

Yeah. It's sad because Shump forums are usually fairly Touhou-Shump fan hostile, and those poor people really do need a safe space to talk about the actual games themselves, far away from the rest of the fandom.

microfolk

Yeah. It's sad because Shump forums are usually fairly Touhou-Shump fan hostile, and those poor people really do need a safe space to talk about the actual games themselves, far away from the rest of the fandom.

Maidens of the Kaleidoscope it's pretty good for that, and even our own community is full of good peeps. :p

I'm really really hoping for Mushihimesama by the way, I'd prefer Futari just because I've never had a chance to play it but I'll take even the first one, it's an amazing game.

It is also just as possible that the background was the first image with loads of bullets that Blackbird ran into in whatever PR packets they have handy. To go along with the 'Steam can't dodge these bullets" slogan.

At the very least tate was confirmed so we can rule out Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, and Progear for sure (not that anyone expected the last one.)

shaowebb

It is also just as possible that the background was the first image with loads of bullets that Blackbird ran into in whatever PR packets they have handy. To go along with the 'Steam can't dodge these bullets" slogan.

At the very least tate was confirmed so we can rule out Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, and Progear for sure (not that anyone expected the last one.)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

shaowebb

Well it's a Mushihimesama game at least. I just don't know which one.

Did they lose the source code for Progear or something?

( ⚈̥̥̥̥̥́⌢⚈̥̥̥̥̥̀) Dont say such things…

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Well it's a Mushihimesama game at least. I just don't know which one.
I'm betting on Mushi Futari. After all, it was Cave's first 360 port. I wonder how to start rallying interest once it comes out. Should we necro and update the old Futari GAF OT or create a new one? Is anyone up to the task?

2009? I'd vote for a new OT with a link to that one. I'd be more than happy to contribute whatever I can to it but am too chickenshit to be the OP.

e: Progear is caught up in license hell with Capcom (as far as we know).

Top Bottom