• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave shmups coming to Steam - Winter 2015, published by Degica

Momentary

Banned
If Crimzon Clover can sell over 100,000 copies, I'm sure Mushi will sell as much if not more over time. People are FIENDING for a Cave shooter on STEAM.

I hope it's Mushi 1 (HD) as I've yet to play it myself, that said the sequel is by far the more famous due to the Hardest Boss Ever YT vid, plus Original mode is accessible.

Hows does Mushi 1's Original mode compare to Futari for difficulty?

Momentary

Banned
SonyToo!™;177367268 said:
I hope it's Mushi 1 (HD) as I've yet to play it myself, that said the sequel is by far the more famous due to the Hardest Boss Ever YT vid, plus Original mode is accessible.

Hows does Mushi 1's Original mode compare to Futari for difficulty?

I've only played the first one and I loved it. As for difficulty I am a chump and usually play or normal. It's bee 10 years since I last played it too... so I can't remember.

will rebuy everything, hope this paves the way for some psikyo & takumi stg's

Personally I would like Degica to work with G.rev next, give others the opportunity to play Strania that was a collaboration with a ex Treasure / Ikaruga dev and let me play Mamarukun.

shaowebb

SonyToo!™;177389081 said:
Personally I would like Degica to work with G.rev next, give others the opportunity to play Strania that was a collaboration with a ex Treasure / Ikaruga dev and let me play Mamarukun.

Oh god yes. Then I might FINALLY get Senko No Ronde Duo!

japtor

If it's one of the games already on 360 I'm hoping it's one of the region locked games...and "fan favorite" doesn't really narrow it down from there even cause people like all of the ones I can think of off the top of my head (even DFK cause the Ketsui mode).

Well specifically I want Mushi 1 just cause I already have a Ketsui board and had DOJ before. I really want Ketsuipachi but I'm kinda iffy on DFK itself.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah. It's sad because Shump forums are usually fairly Touhou-Shump fan hostile, and those poor people really do need a safe space to talk about the actual games themselves, far away from the rest of the fandom.

looooool. Touhou fans need a safe space? You make the rest of shmup fandom sound like schoolyard bullies.

Which... kinda isn't that far from the truth, I guess.

Narroo

Maidens of the Kaleidoscope it's pretty good for that, and even our own community is full of good peeps. :p

I'm really really hoping for Mushihimesama by the way, I'd prefer Futari just because I've never had a chance to play it but I'll take even the first one, it's an amazing game.

MotK is still a bit too "Touhou Fanbase" for me though. Really, I'd like to bring up Touhou, as a game, up in a shump forum without being chewed out.

Narroo

looooool. Touhou fans need a safe space? You make the rest of shmup fandom sound like schoolyard bullies.

Which... kinda isn't that far from the truth, I guess.

It isn't. Try going to shmups.system11.org and see what happens when you bring up Touhou.

We're stuck between elitist C.A.V.E. players and Touhou Perverts. It's hell.

But enough about that; this is a C.A.V.E. thread right? I can't wait for this; I'm hoping for Scanlines. Scanlines and Progrear with a side of Mushihimesama Futari.

Yes Boss!

I'm gonna have to try my hand at buying a PC again. My last attempt was a disaster...constantly needed to update it and other issues so I shelved it. I'm guessing something like the steam machines will be good enough to run all of them? I do have a 360 seimitsu stick with me currently, which puts me ahead a bit at least.

It isn't. Try going to shmups.system11.org and see what happens when you bring up Touhou.

We're stuck between elitist C.A.V.E. players and Touhou Perverts. It's hell.

Isn't Shmups more welcoming of Touhou nowadays? Back in around 2010-12 ppl really didn't want to entertain the games, but then new members joined who were shit hot at both Touhou and CAVE opening ppls minds up to games outside of it's annoying fandom. I haven't posted there in quite a while so it could have changed back to the way it was. I doubt it though since Touhou fans aren't as prevalent as 3-4 years back when they were constantly commenting in arcade shmup You Tube replays.

EDIT Ofc when I say Tohou fans I mean the really ignorant ones, like those who were addament Touhou birthed the genre and all other STGs are clones like the arcades and Space Invaders & Galaga never existed, (I come across multiple ppl who thought this which makes me think that someone in the fan community was really good at telling porkies or there was a joke thread that some took as fact, another one was that Touhou started on the NES, so bizarre.)

steam is about to become an embarrassment of riches with STGs after lacking so long

Yeah it's a really strange turn of events that the PC is becoming THE system of choice for STGs.

jonjonaug

I really hope that the games that make their way to Steam have difficulty selection like their mobile versions.

I love playing Mushihimesama Futari, but I'm not good enough at shmups to 1cc Maniac or Ultra mode on default difficulty and I don't have the free time to get better. The console version only has two levels of difficulty that equate to "insultingly easy" and "original arcade difficulty". The mobile version of the game has four levels of difficulty, making it easier to play casually and less stressful to practice and get better at it. It would help a lot with making the games more accessible to new players.

I'll be able to provide more detail about this when the game is announced, but I think most players will be satisfied with the range of skill levels/difficulty settings supported by the game's modes.

ghibli99

I really hope that the games that make their way to Steam have difficulty selection like their mobile versions.

I love playing Mushihimesama Futari, but I'm not good enough at shmups to 1cc Maniac or Ultra mode on default difficulty and I don't have the free time to get better. The console version only has two levels of difficulty that equate to "insultingly easy" and "original arcade difficulty". The mobile version of the game has four levels of difficulty, making it easier to play casually and less stressful to practice and get better at it. It would help a lot with making the games more accessible to new players.
I like this aspect too. I used to be into shooters pretty hardcore back in the DOJ era, but have played them less over the years, so I appreciate less demanding modes, which can still be pretty difficult. :)

epmode

I'll be able to provide more detail about this when the game is announced, but I think most players will be satisfied with the range of skill levels/difficulty settings supported by the game's modes.

In an effort to head off potential trouble, I'd *really* appreciate support for resolutions over 1080p. I just picked up Raiden 4 and I'm stuck with upscale blurring since it tops out at 1080p.

I realize that Cave's games are 2D and that changes things a bit but 1440p support would still work. Even if it's not pixel-perfect scaling, it's not as noticeable when resolutions are so high.

In an effort to head off potential trouble, I'd *really* appreciate support for resolutions over 1080p. I just picked up Raiden 4 and I'm stuck with upscale blurring since it tops out at 1080p.

I realize that Cave's games are 2D and that changes things a bit but 1440p support would still work. Even if it's not pixel-perfect scaling, it's not as noticeable when resolutions are so high.

The 360 CAVE ports atleast allow you to resize the window so you can match the ingame res to the monitor/TV native res, most if not all the HD ports also included arcade modes with arcade SD res (336x240p?) which might be a better fit for PC monitors.

I'm not really an expert on the matter but I'm sure there are plenty of more knowledgeable ppl who could chime in.

Edit Just remember that besides Akia Katana all the games HD remakes or original SD are made with for 4:3 aspect ratio so if you want native res it should have boarders, a lot of ppl just stretch it to 1080p which looks terribad plus likely makes it harder to play since the distance is distorted in one axis.

SparkTR

I'm gonna have to try my hand at buying a PC again. My last attempt was a disaster...constantly needed to update it and other issues so I shelved it. I'm guessing something like the steam machines will be good enough to run all of them? I do have a 360 seimitsu stick with me currently, which puts me ahead a bit at least.

Sure, there'll be a bunch more gaming focused prebuilt stuff out there once Steam Machines come around (if you live in the US there was a great deal on the Alienware Alpha recently), just make sure it's running Windows. Drivers update automatically these days and Steam launches in Big Picture mode effectively making it into a console.

SOME-MIST

I feel like it's mushihimesama hd. There's 1.5 and max original maniac ultra and novice original novice maniac and novice ultra. Novice ultra is actually really fun because it starts off very easy, and then ends somewhere between maniac and ultra difficulty. It ramps up quite nicely.

I remember battling against yes boss on the novice ultra leader boards when it first released and it was a blast.

Kumubou

Have they announced pricing?
Not formallly, but someone from Degica did comment on it earier in the thread:

Pricing hasn't been finalized yet, but historically our games have (in my opinion) been very affordable. For reference, our upcoming port of Eschatos will be 15 USD (or 20 USD for deluxe ver.) and that was originally a 40 to 60 dollar game.
So I highly doubt they're going with PCB pricing here. :p

Lots of skills?
Scaling difficulty?

It has been so obvious, if only we were paying attention. Obviously they are bringing Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine to Steam.
Jerk. :V *proceeded to set their own face on fire*

...It's probably one of the Mushihimesama or Deathsmiles games.

blackoak

Neo Member
I'm super excited for this too even though I own all the xbox ports and, at one time, had a couple Cave pcbs. I also translated the superplayer commentaries DLC for Crimzon Clover, and it would be cool to do something similar for Cave if they decide to go down that path.

Just a small comment on the Touhou sidechat above: I visited the "Games, Anime, Manga" exhibit at the National Art Museum in Tokyo last week, and they had a whole section about danmaku. Guess what game was on display for people to try? (I didn't look and see which touhou game it was exactly...). The exhibit was pretty "mainstream" btw, geared more towards the average person. It was cool to see danmaku featured like that, although what that says about the popularity of the genre and Touhou, I dunno. Here's hoping for great things from Steam.

Streaming yesterday was fun. I was a little hesitant to play a game I am unfamiliar with. Given it some more thought and there might be value in seeing the learning process of tackling a shmup. Any interest in something formatted along the lines of..

1-2 hour streams.
PRACTICE!!!
Breaking down sections of the stages.
Reviewing/discussing strats to get over bumps.
Get a mic so I can explain weird stuff more easily.
Scoring mechanics.

I see it aimed at people with an interest in the genre but have not necessarily 1CCed all the games, or maybe even doesn't know what terms like 1CC are.

mdsfx

From the Shmups forum:

Cagar said:
So yeah, I don't know if anyone has followed, but CAVE suddenly became super social on Facebook, communicating with the Western audience (and it seems like it might be Ikeda himself).

They even admit that the horrific Bug Princess Duel was horrific.

cave.png

ketsui.png

ikeda.png

and in case it isn't obvious already, this is only going to be their "1st" title on steam:

1st.png

Dambrosi

Banned
SonyToo!™;177389081 said:
Oh god yes. Then I might FINALLY get Senko No Ronde Duo!
A bit late, I know, but what are you two on about? If G.rev are going to port anything to PC, it's gotta be Border Down!

kazuo

Hmm, who's to say these won't just be recompiled versions of the 360 ports?

Still, good news for future and currently unported titles.

Shaneus

WHAT WHAT WHAT WAT

I just saw this thread now. Hope in the four pages there's not bad news.

So which game does everyone want the most? I could go for any of them as I love all shmups.

Steep Slope Sliders
Oh god, I forgot about Steep Slope Sliders... loved that on Saturn.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What's wrong with the 360 versions of cave shooters? Never played them on that system. Something messed up about them?

They're generally great.

Some lament that they don't have the identical slowdown to the arcade version, messing up really niche concerns about playing competitively against those playing on the original arcade version.

But generally I think people who'd be down on it are saying so because they already own the 360 versions and want other games that haven't yet been ported.

Durante

I own most of the 360 versions, and while other games might be preferable, even having those on a platform I actually still use (and will use in perpetuity) would be quite useful.

Momentary

Banned
I was looking at videos yesterday of all the cave shoot'em ups that I haven't played over the years and Ketsui, Mushihimesama Futari, Akai Katana, and DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou... I would be ecstatic for any of those to make it on the platform.

Bit of a side ramble but Microsoft also had the policy with the 360 that you only got 1-2 patches and after that it was a significant fee. Won't be a problem on steam.

I agree in many cases the differences are not a huge problem.

Top Bottom