• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

Has anyone found out what the actual source for this is? Nintendo Everything don't say it and anyone else running with this is just linking back to N-E.
It was only a matter of time for it to officially be announced seeming as Nicalis tweeted this back in January:
vKQ8Llj.jpg

But you're right I can't find this announcement anywhere apart from Nintendo Everything.

Dremorak

Banned
Dammit. I still havent played this cause I was waiting for a sale. Now its almost 3 times the base price on 3ds. I guess I'll just get it on 3ds then

jonno394

It was only a matter of time for it to officially being announce seeming as Nicalis tweeted this back in January:

But you're right I can't find this announcement anywhere apart from Nintendo Everything.

Yeah I think we all knew it was coming, but the price and other info I would like confirmed by others/PR/Nicalis.

Has anyone found out what the actual source for this is? Nintendo Everything don't say it and anyone else running with this is just linking back to N-E.

Well, you can preorder the game on vgp.ca. They're pretty reliable so I guess it's real.

I'm hoping for a EU release though, otherwise I'll get some US eShop cards and download it from the US eShop.

guek

Banned
Oh yes I'm sure third parties have full autonomy over what prices they're allowed to charge when Nintendo distributes their game on their cartridges for their platform with their branding slapped across it. Nintendo has no say!

Coming Soon: Frog Fractions 2, MSRP of $9999.99
Wut

jonno394

Well, you can preorder the game on vgp.ca. They're pretty reliable so I guess it's real.

I'm hoping for a EU release though, otherwise I'll get some US eShop cards and download it from the US eShop.

Ah, that's likely where N-E got the info from seeing as it's word for word (or vgp copied N-E :hmm:)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm in for the physical edition, never actually played Cave Story but the overall impressions here are good enough for me to plunge.

Make no mistake about it - everyone will agree that it's a great game. We are just griping over the ultra aggressive pricing.

I would have liked this for $20 (at most) and if they put in some extras like the Issac release. I was going to get some off since I was going to get the game through GCU, but I might wait to see if they'll add anything to the base game since $30 is quite a bit for Cave Story, even if it's physical, for me. There's also no really confirmed information in the article of where they got this from, so I'll have to wait and see if this is real (I wouldn't be surprised with it being teased).

Where does BoI slow down? I've put a couple of hours in and can't say I've noticed any drops. That being said Cave Story isn't anywhere near as demanding.

It's normally when the shit goes down and there's so many effects on screen. That's what I hear anyways, I haven't gotten to that point where the game actively tries to murder your lineage.

kulapik

I think more like $30 for the chance to own Cave Story physical. I don't believe it will stay at this price digitally.

I also would really love to have this included. I never got a chance to try it.

Yeah, for physical I can understand it, that's like the minimum price (except the Greatest Hits/Nintendo Selects stuff). For digital it's expensive as hell, though.

emb

Glad to see Nicalis continuing to do physical releases! I love it.

Probably out for this one though. Even if less than ideal, I do already have Cave Story physical for 3DS.

Box art? Cool. $30? What the fuck!

The game began as a freemium and since has been released at no more than $15. Switch tax is a load of shit, totally making me avoid this console

jonno394

The game began as a freemium and since has been released at no more than $15. Switch tax is a load of shit, totally making me avoid this console

I'd hazard to guess that if it were released physically on PS4 as well, it would be this price too. As it is, it's not even on PSN.

Calm down, friend. Anyways can SOMEONE confirm if this content info:

the game will have seven play modes such as Wind Fortress and Boss Rush, more than twenty boss battles, fifteen levels, ten unique weapons, and four unique endings.

has been part of past Cave Story games?

Crayolan

A boss rush? Oh man, this is awesome! And finally a not terrible version of Cave Story is getting a physical release! That 3D version was pretty bad. Do you think they'll update other versions of the game to include that or will that just be a Switch thing? Either way this is wonderful. The world needs more Cave Story.

EDIT: Wait, 4 endings? I only remember there being three. The normal ending, the best ending, and the ending where
you escape the island and let the Doctor take over

All that content is already in the + version on Steam right now.

The 4th ending is not really a different ending, it's
the mimiga mask ending, where you beat the game without taking off the mimiga mask in the plantation. The only difference is a few lines of dialogue from misery and getting to see some of the ending art redone to have Quote wearing the mask.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've yet to play Cave Story, so I'm interested in this.

But it's also Nicalis, so I wonder if it will ever actually come out. :p

I highly doubt a digital release will carry the $30 price tag, we're probably paying for a proper manual too like with the Binding of Isaac

Bate

I love the switch, I love Cave Story, I love shiny new things even if the price is beyond reasonable since I already own that game on steam and have to import it to Europe and therefore have to pay some lovely import taxes and delivery. However, I always wanted to give that game another go since I discovered almost nothing on my first blind playthrough.

Jesus. Reading everyone griping about 30 bucks is hilarious. In the grand scheme of things, 30 dollars is not a lot of money. The only other way to own this game physically is that crappy 3DS version, which goes for way more than this.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm in at $30 for a physical release.

Other indies, take note.
Take note to wildly overprice their games? Nooo :(

Jesus. Reading everyone griping about 30 bucks is hilarious. In the grand scheme of things, 30 dollars is not a lot of money. The only other way to own this game physically is that crappy 3DS version, which goes for way more than this.

30 dollars can buy a lot of games. The 3DS version has no bearing on this. It should be way cheaper too.

I guess $24 plus a $5 credit from Best Buy makes this a reasonable price, but $30's ridiculous. Here's a brief history on the cost of Cave Story.

Cave Story - Free
Cave Story WiiWare - $12 / 1200 wii Shop points
Cave Story DSi - $10
Cave Story+ Steam - $15
Cave Story 3D - $40 (note, this was a 3D remake)
Cave Story 3DS eShop - $10
Cave Story+ Switch - $30

I love Amaya's work, and Cave Story was the game that inspired me to become an indie dev, but the Switch tax is a bit ridiculous.

I think $30 for the digital version is why folks are upset. Cave Story+ is $15 on Steam Paying 2x for a port of that version on Switch is rough. When there's a point of reference and it's 1/2 the price, that's a problem.

KingV

Bargain in a vacuum maybe. Not when you can pay $15 for the same game on pc.

Or 2.50 grey market. The game was literally free at one point and has been bundled and on sale a million times since.

I might pick it up eventually on switch... but it will be some time

Yukinari

Switch is currently the "port old games to it at a higher price" console huh.

Wonder how well this and Puyo x Tetris will sell on Switch compared to other systems.

guek

Banned
I'd have picked this up in a heartbeat at $20 but $30 gives me pause. I don't want to miss out on a physical release though if this is a limited run. I must think on this...

The price of the physical release looks right to me. It's likely going to be a limited print run, and they'll probably throw in physical goodies like Isaac's.

I can't get behind anyone complaining about the physical release, especially in a world with GCU and Amazon discounts, but...

I'm ok with $30 for a physical copy.

For a digital one, though...

I agree with this sentiment. The digital price should be more in line with the other releases. So far, I think Puyo Puyo is the only game to be sold cheaper digitally.

ngower

I won't pay $30 for it. The $8 or whatever I paid for the digital version was fine but this is ridiculous unless there are some extras. I get that people like the physical edition (I'm a physical over digital person myself) but I don't like the precedent being established early on with some of these indies being ported to Switch with physical copies.

ZeroX03

Banned
I love Cave Story, it's one of the greatest games of all time.

That said, fuck that price and fuck physical. I already bought the game twice last gen and the original release is still free.

I think $30 for the digital version is why folks are upset. Cave Story+ is $15 on Steam Paying 2x for a port of that version on Switch is rough. When there's a point of reference and it's 1/2 the price, that's a problem.

Digital I can understand, but not physical. Especially if it ends up including goodies like Isaac did.

3DS indie games at retail were often more expensive than the digital versions due to the costs of the cards. It's no different with Switch. But I'd be surprised if the digital version also cost 30USD.

Wasn't it similar for Wii U as well? I know most were collections but off the top of my head I was thinking Shovel Knight, Runbow, etc...

Top Bottom