• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story + (Switch) review thread

chrono01

Gamestop only or first print runs?
The keychain + micro-fiber bag are Gamestop-exclusive, while all first-press/initial launch copies have the rest of the stuff.

If you pre-order from Gamestop, you get it all. If you pre-order anywhere else, you get everything but the keychain/micro-fiber bag.

I played it on PC but this game touched me and I can't really put into words how. It just gives me a good feeling when I think back on it.

If you haven't played it yet, you should.

Raboon

Neo Member
I remember playing this game in 2007 (had no idea it was called Cave Story at the time, my copy was called Doukutsu). I was in love with it, such an amazing game with an amazing soundtrack. Will happily buy this day one for my Switch! Will be fun to see and explore the new areas.
I hope you'll still be able to go to Hell or whatever it was called, such a fun speedrun challenge.

Edit: Oh man, this releases on the same day as Nex Machina.. I guess I'll have to wait a few days before I play it then.

Remk

30 dollars on digital huh?

I'm out and won't even hope for a sale 'cause we all know of Nintendo's track record...

bounchfx

$30 is unfortunate. The Switch tax is real. I think I bought this on Steam for $10 five years ago.

I would like to buy it digital for the Switch when I see it for $10-20.

same, I think even at 20 I would get it right away, but 30 is.. sorry, no. same with minecraft. It makes me sad, there's probably at least 3-4 more games I would have immediately bought on switch if not for a hefty tax

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sort of want to play again, but not for $30 (or 24 with discount). I'll probably wait and pick it up on sale down the road.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
This thread convinced me to pick it up. ARMs doesn't look like my cup of tea so this will fill the gap nicely.

Remk

Third party games go on sale frequently on Nintendo platforms.

Except in Nicalis' case that is almost never the case, I will just challenge you to look for how many times 1001 spikes has been discounted

This game going on sale is entirely up to Nicalis. Not Nintendo.

Sure, but Nintendo never shows a real effort on headlining or encouraging special promotions that benefit customers like Sony and Microsoft do.

Except in Nicalis' case that is almost never the case, I will just challenge you to look for how many times 1001 spikes has been discounted

Hahahahah. Sometimes I wonder if Nicalis is seeing money or if there's just one guy and he's so busy coding that he doesn't see what's going on in the markets or something.

Seik

Banned
Got the physical version ordered, never played this game yet but heard lot of good things about it, so I'm excited to try it when I'll receive it.

Regarding Nicalis, you're right. But that has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo, like you implied.

Sure, but Nintendo never shows a real effort on headlining or encouraging special promotions that benefit customers like Sony and Microsoft do.

Nintendo promotes eShop sales often. They were also the first console platform holder to authorize and promote a Humble Bundle.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I want to know how it stacks up to the Sega Genesis version.

I have my physical copy preordered.

Scoops

Banned
Does this game have some kind of exclusivity deal with Nintendo ?

No, it's on PC too. The developer (who is just 1 person) just likes developing on Nintendo platforms and probably doesn't want to waste time porting to other hardware.

No, it's on PC too. The developer (who is just 1 person) just likes developing on Nintendo platforms and probably doesn't want to waste time porting to other hardware.

I don't think Pixel does any of the work for these ports, it's likely Nicalis. Plus Kero blaster came to PS4 (according to wiki).

got the notice from BB that the order is ready. of course it 11pm. but im hype for tomorrow. Been a while since i played and i dont think i ever beat it. At least i dont remember beating it. I hear the game has multiple endings...am i confused?

got the notice from BB that the order is ready. of course it 11pm. but im hype for tomorrow. Been a while since i played and i dont think i ever beat it. At least i dont remember beating it. I hear the game has multiple endings...am i confused?

It does have multiple endings, one of the conditions has something to do with the
jetpack
IIRC

Crayolan

The game has 3 endings:

Bad ending basically just cuts the game short. If you get this just reload your last save and move on. You're not blocked off from progressing or anything.

Good Ending is the normal ending 99% of players will get on their first run-through. If it's your first time don't worry about endings and you'll get this.

True Ending requires doing extremely specific and unintuitive things about halfway through the game which no one would ever figure out without a guide. The process of doing all the steps to unlock the true ending makes the mid-game more difficult, and once you've completed every step
the last level of the game becomes significantly more difficult and after you beat the "final" boss you are able to access the real final level which is an enormous difficulty spike.
Unless you're looking for a challenge I'd recommend saving this for a replay.

AEREC

There's probably no point in buying this if I have the 3DS version (the the 3D remake) is there? I still haven't even played that version as it honestly didnt grab me when I tried it years ago.

Opa-Pa

Picking this up tomorrow and I don't even own a Switch lol. The goodies that come with the physical version are too nice and well, I did the same with my 3DS and Cave Story 3D haha. I seriously envy everyone playing it for the first time, this game is magical.

Looking forward to listening to the new NES soundtrack added in this version too!

The game has 3 endings:

Bad ending basically just cuts the game short. If you get this just reload your last save and move on. You're not blocked off from progressing or anything.

Good Ending is the normal ending 99% of players will get on their first run-through. If it's your first time don't worry about endings and you'll get this.

True Ending requires doing extremely specific and unintuitive things about halfway through the game which no one would ever figure out without a guide. The process of doing all the steps to unlock the true ending makes the mid-game more difficult, and once you've completed every step
the last level of the game becomes significantly more difficult and after you beat the "final" boss you are able to access the real final level which is an enormous difficulty spike.
Unless you're looking for a challenge I'd recommend saving this for a replay.

Some of the shit you gotta do for the true ending is hinted at in the game. But you prob gotta play the game like 5 times to get it all lol. Probably the worst thing about the game.

Nintendo Wire says this is the same as the Steam Cave Story+? That had better not be the case, they were taking up new levels and the like before release.

If you've not played Cave Story before, do yourself a favor and play the original version first. It is still the best in its elegant simplicity, far superior script and just normal-superior soundtrack, and $0 pricetag.

RockmanBN

Nintendo Wire says this is the same as the Steam Cave Story+? That had better not be the case, they were taking up new levels and the like before release.

If you've not played Cave Story before, do yourself a favor and play the original version first. It is still the best in its elegant simplicity, far superior script and just normal-superior soundtrack, and $0 pricetag.

Isn't the Switch supposed to have an extra ending?

Isn't the Switch supposed to have an extra ending?
I... doubt it. None of the previous "updated releases" have added new endings, and only one of them has added things to the actual game itself - Cave Story 3D added a small area. Every other "bonus", and presumably any bonuses added for the Switch, have been little disconnected extras on the menu.

I think early promotions may have mentioned four endings, but I think the general consensus is that they were calling the "get the normal ending but
wearing the Mimiga mask
" a fourth ending.

I would really love to have a physical copy of Cave Story on my shelf, but I find it really hard to justify spending the money on a version that isn't even a feature-complete version of their previous remakes. If they had gone a little extra and made this a proper Definitive Edition with all art styles, both scripts, and a few extra bonus areas, I would have bitten happily. Hell, I probably would have bought it if they had just bothered including the original script...

just got Arms and Splatoon is just a month away, a bit tough for me spending $30 right now.
i could do the effort for $15-$20, $30 is too much for the digital version.

F34R

Mine is about 4 hours away from me... will be delivered tomorrow.. errrr... today lol. (1am EST right now.)

I've never played Cave Story so I'm looking forward to this. However there is no current EU/AU release and I want it physical so I guess I have to import it

Amazon delivered mine today. Comes with a little
Booklet and small music cd.

Bought physical because with 20% off I didn't mind the price. $30 is steep for the digital version

Top Bottom