• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBC: 43% of Canadians think science is opinion, 52% think GMOs are bad for the health

Has America finally corrupting Canada? What have we done.

old af

Both canadians and americans are dumb british descendants, only difference is that americans have more balls

Outside of the big cities you got illiterate rednecks everywhere. The canadian conservative party is trump levels of stupid. Yall think every canadian is like trudeau smh

WaterAstro

Realistically, all science is an opinion, a collective opinion of mostly everyone.

Then maybe someone with a different opinion will completely prove all of us wrong!

Could the scientific community be doing more to promote their message? I'm just unfamiliar with the efforts of scientists to reach out to the public, but it certainly might need to do more against the piles of fake news out there.

Apathy

Huge sections of the country is dumber than a sack of rocks.

Also willing to bet religious backgrounds still play a lot into being so anti science

Could the scientific community be doing more to promote their message? I'm just unfamiliar with the efforts of scientists to reach out to the public, but it certainly might need to do more against the piles of fake news out there.

Alot of people percieve the scientific community to be snobby or stuck up, etc

Fou-Lu

Do we have statistics like this for other first world countries? I would be interested to see if we as a race are just this dumb.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1 out of 5 Canadians believe in a link between vaccines and autism? Yikes.

Millions duped by a single conman (wouldn't be the first time though)

Huge sections of the country is dumber than a sack of rocks.
Lol

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

I mean anti-science have big marketers and are litigious. Basically, have huge troll communities that can harass scientists and companies.
How ubiquitous is this logo in Canada?
NGP-Seal-for-FSIS.jpg

1 out of 5 Canadians believe in a link between vaccines and autism? Yikes.

Millions duped by a single conman (wouldn't be the first time though)

Lol

It's amazing how many people deride or don't believe the scientific community, but are so willing to jump aboard with fringe researchers or outright liars who claim to follow the same scientific method. How would such vast international conspiracies come about from scientists in countries that may hate each other?

It is a travesty what that man's bunk research did for children and communities and across the globe, and what climate change deniers, heroes of oil companies, are doing to the planet.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How much of that is Alberta (I live in Edmonton)? No seriously, does this thing break it up based on party identity? I'll bet good money most of those 47% are Conservative voters.

BocoDragon

How much of that is Alberta (I live in Edmonton)? No seriously, does this thing break it up based on party identity? I'll bet good money most of those 47% are Conservative voters.
Yeah but I bet the anti-GMO and Vaccines = Autism people are leftier Liberal or NDP voters.

Different kinds of stupid on both sides.

Moppeh

Banned
The GMO thing is unsurprising. All my knowledge about GMOs in high school came from videos on Monsanto, so myself and most of my classmates saw GMOs as untrustworthy.

Sounds like someone is part of the 43%. Statistically significant sample sizes? That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Good timing Earthbound64.

Yeah, in any polling/survey thread, there always seem to be comments like that from people who don't understand statistics... I mean "opinions."

The GMO thing is unsurprising. All my knowledge about GMOs in high school came from videos on Monsanto, so myself and most of my classmates saw GMOs as untrustworthy.

Videos about Monsanto or videos made by Monsanto? I was picturing the Troy McClure film about cows from The Simpsons. "Just ask this scientician."

BocoDragon

You also see products voluntarily label themselves as "GMO Free". If that's your only exposure to the concept, you'd think of them as bad.

My girlfriend was bragging to me about how her chips were healthier because they said GMO Free, and I explained to her how I didn't give a shit about that :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1 person out of 5 thinks there's a link between vaccines and autism? I refuse to believe this. The methodology/sample must be faulty. :p

Or the prairies are skewing the results... >_>

Mivey

They polled 1514 people...
CANADIAN population is around 34million...
This is going to blow your mind, you might want to sit down for this ... If you select people carefully, so you that you have a good sample base (not everyone from the same village, for example), you can make a fairly strong assessment of something over a very large population, while still using only checking a few thousand people.

I know, the first time I understood this in statistics class, I needed a strong drink.

This is going to blow your mind, you might want to sit down for this ... If you select people carefully, and you a good sample base (not everyone from the same village, for example), you can make a fairly strong assessment of something over a very large population, while still using only a few thousand people.

Opinions and fakenews, obviously.

kswiston

Canadians get a lot of the same media that Americans get. Even more so in the age of the internet and social media. The general public has never been all that scientifically literate to begin with, so a constant barrage of FUD on their feeds is going to skew perspectives.

These results don't surprise me.

Makes sense. We did just get off a 10 year period of a government which did everything short of formally declaring war on Science.

Well can't really say that science is a fact when it's more or less an accumulation of knowledge that is based on observations. Science keeps changing and what we know as good can change later.

A fact is unchanging yet our knowledge of things do change

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well can't really say that science is a fact when it's more or less an accumulation of knowledge that is based on observations. Science keeps changing and what we know as good can change later.

A fact is unchanging yet our knowledge of things do change
It's also not an "opinion"

Top Bottom