• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO Releases AHCA Score: Details Coming In

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52752

1. 23 million more uninsured

2. 1/6 non-group population would be in waiver states

3. 1/6 of the market to become unstable by 2020 thanks to AHCA

DAnn0KUW0AIskoq.jpg

adg1034

"CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the American Health Care Act would reduce federal deficits by $119 billion over the coming decade and increase the number of people who are uninsured by 23 million in 2026 relative to current law."

kirblar

CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the American Health Care Act would reduce federal deficits by $119 billion over the coming decade and increase the number of people who are uninsured by 23 million in 2026 relative to current law.
Thanks for the ad material, GOP!

"CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the American Health Care Act would reduce federal deficits by $119 billion over the coming decade and increase the number of people who are uninsured by 23 million in 2026 relative to current law."

Is that a lot?

Zyae

Its dead, Jim

CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under H.R. 1628 than under current law. The increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number projected under current law would reach 19 million in 2020 and 23 million in 2026. In 2026, an estimated 51 million people under age 65 would be uninsured, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law. Under the legislation, a few million of those people would use tax credits to purchase policies that would not cover major medical risks.

Holy fuck

Feep

Banned
Win for the GOP. The number going around prior to this report was 24 million, not 23.

(rolls eyes)

Slayven

Only part they care about

So it sounds like it'll be good for reconciliation since it makes the budget neutral or less? But the GOP will hold the baggage for kicking 23 million off insurance and making it more expensive for everyone not perfectly healthy?

subrock

I was initially confused by "reducing deficits" but then I remembered that they were doing this to remove coverage from a shitload of people. $119b over 10 years is peanuts, and yet 23 million will lose coverage.

Dyle

In comparison with the estimates for the previous version of the act, under the House-passed act, the number of people with health insurance would, by CBO and JCT’s estimates, be slightly higher and average premiums for insurance purchased individually—that is, nongroup insurance—would be lower, in part because the insurance, on average, would pay for a smaller proportion of health care costs. In addition, the agencies expect that some people would use the tax credits authorized by the act to purchase policies that would not cover major medical risks and that are not counted as insurance in this cost estimate.

Dear god, even the CBO is saying that many of the plans under this law wouldn't be health insurance.

adg1034

Now the real question is whether this passes muster under the Senate's reconciliation rules. If not, and if McConnell doesn't play games with the parliamentarian, this might need to go back to the House for another vote.

reckless

So it sounds like it'll be good for reconciliation since it makes the budget neutral or less? But the GOP will hold the baggage for kicking 23 million off insurance and making it more expensive for everyone not perfectly healthy?

Yeah isn't that bad, since they can pass it through reconciliation now with a simple majority?

Dems should laser focus on the 51 million uninsured under age 65 by 2017 number. And the fact that plans purchased with any tax credits won't even cover catastrophic events. What's less than Bronze? Tin?

"a few million of those [who remain insured] would use tax credits to purchase policies that would not cover major medical risks."

MikeRahl

So they save $119 Billion

23 Million no longer have insurance

50% of people will see premium deductions of around 4%
33% of people will see premium deductions between 10-30% with vastly reduced benefits
16% of people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I read the (additional) uninsured number as 1.23M and thought, "wow, that's surprisingly better than I thought."

But man oh man. What a turd.

iammeiam

Which is interesting against this:
That amount is $32 billion less than the estimated net savings for the version of H.R. 1628 that was posted on the website of the House Committee on Rules on March 22, 2017, incorporating manager’s amendments 4, 5, 24, and 25. (CBO issued a cost estimate for that earlier version of the legislation on March 23, 2017.)

So covering one million more Americans (many with shittier, cheaper policies) than the last one, but at a cost of 32 BILLION.

That's.... a thing.

I'm almost certain that it was reported not too long ago that this doesn't meet the reconciliation requirements and has to go back to the House. I'm positive I read that, though it may have been speculation.

adg1034

Yeah isn't that bad, since they can pass it through reconciliation now with a simple majority?

Not necessarily. See here, but the important piece:

If the CBO projects millions more using the tax credits for skimpy insurance, it could blow through the AHCA’s deficit reduction and make it a long-term deficit increaser, which isn’t allowed under reconciliation rules. Should the CBO make that determination, the Senate wouldn’t be able to act on the bill.

The bill doesn’t just have to be a long-term deficit reducer overall. Each committee of jurisdiction involved in writing the reconciliation bill—the finance and health policy committees in the House and Senate—has to save at least $1 billion in its contribution to the legislation. So even if the finance portion of the AHCA was to save tens of billions of dollars, the health portion would still have to find its own $1 billion in savings.

If I am understanding this correctly, the difference between the old and the current is that 1 million people can now continue to buy shittier insurance?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Only part they care about

Incorrect. That's chump change. What they fundamentally care about is health insurance and medical corporations making more money by spending less. But they can't care about that in public because it's hidden in this waxy ball of pubis.

Yeah this thing is dead. That house vote was clearly symbolic. If they actually wanted to push this through the Senate would've tried already.

sangreal

I'm almost certain that it was reported not too long ago that this doesn't meet the reconciliation requirements and has to go back to the House. I'm positive I read that, though it may have been speculation.

No, what was reported was that they had to wait for this to make sure it saves more than $2B (it does) because it wouldn't fly otherwise. In that case, they would have to revote

Incorrect. That's chump change. What they fundamentally care about is health insurance and medical corporations making more money by spending less. But they can't care about that in public because it's hidden in this waxy ball of pubis.

the health insurance and medical industries hate this bill

I really wish we could get a solid understanding of what this reconciliation thing really amounts to. I can't shake the fact that's been used so often as a term that we are now using it without realizing exactly what it means. I always thought there was supposed to be some type of time limit to when you can use reconciliation rules. Is there not? What exactly qualifies something to be passed under reconciliation?

Top Bottom