• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.
He called DR3 a full year early, and nobody knew about WoT until the day of the announcement. Hell, I was working with one of the MS teams at the time and had no clue that it was coming to 360.

I guess this proves that lots of things still remain undisclosed between Microsoft teams.

Honestly, I'm surprised that CBOAT has been able to give us so much info over the years.

nib95

Banned
He called DR3 a full year early, and nobody knew about WoT until the day of the announcement. Hell, I was working with one of the MS teams at the time and had no clue that it was coming to 360.

Hmmm...interesting. I'm going to assume you're a lot more in the know than you let on, especially about spec related or development stuff. Or am I missing the boat (pun intended)?

He also said PS4 was launching in October..

He was wrong about it, and apologised, just like he did for PoP.

CBOAT has his moments where he's wrong, he's far from infallible.

How many of our insiders here got shit wrong every now and then? Even famousmortimer, who has been the least wrong in the predictions ( in the launch lead-up) has his 'err' on League of Legends for Xbox.

Errors and mistakes don't invalidate the many times that they've been right.

His info on PS4 is self-admittedly not as good as the Xbone stuff.

Sorry.
Apology accepted......?

And he was wrong about it, and apologised, just like he did for PoP.

CBOAT has his moments where he's wrong, he's far from infallible.

How many of our insiders here got shit wrong every now and then? Even famousmortimer, who has been the least wrong in the predictions ( in the launch lead-up) has his 'err' on League of Legends for Xbox.
Of course, his word is certainly pretty reliable.
I wasn't trying to discredit him completely, he's been spot on many times.

Demon Ice

Banned
720p-900p expected to be the norm? Ouch. Can't say I'm surprised though, given how many launch titles for the XB1 are sub-1080p. That ridiculous memory architecture is biting them in the ass.

Goon Boon

Banned
Lol at the people predicting MS will just completely abandon the Xbox One...and it's not even out yet.

Not too many people think THAT'S going to happen.

What's extremely likely is Xbone gets the shitty ports this time around, like Sony got with PS3 ports for multi-platform games. Lower resolution, lower framerate, maybe a ghostbusters or bayonetta level fuck up.

CLEEK

Uh oh at alluding to final hardware issues. Sub-1080p won't be an issue for the vast, vast majority of gamers, but shonky hardware will affected everyone.

RRoD / reliability killed my love of the 360, and looking at the recent thread about what consoles you've owned this gen, did the same for many others too. The one thing I took from the disaster that was the 360 hardware was that MS (or any other console maker) would never produce anything as poorly designed as that again.

By history could be repeating itself. MS rushed out the 360, knowing full well the boxes coming off the production line were fucked and the manufacturing process was a disaster. They did it for one reason only, which was to get as many consoles shipped before the PS3 launched.

But now they're now in panic mode with the PS4 and making last minute upclocks / changes. Combined with reducing the number of launch countries due to yield issues, it's not looking good.

Seeing how long MS have had to plan the successor to the 360, it's mind boggling they could be rushing anything.

Keep on ratting out the company that writes your paycheck. Good work
You guys sure are quick with the salt. You caught me!
iGYnvEI48Z3oQ.gif

Brother, you sure take the cake

Gonff

Banned
The fact that MS has up-clocked AT ALL at this point in the game and been very public about it should be concerning to anyone trying to analyze this with an objective eye. Hardware decisions should have been finalized a year ago, not trying to "bolt shit on" when you're 3 months out from launch.

This could be a colossal disaster in the making.

It's more like this:

You find a stable performance and you stick with it. You have a team of engineers on the side test increases for stability while you announce a certain performance as the baseline and build around that. Usually this takes a while. Occasionally, you'll find you can get more performance than you expected. You stress test it and as you encounter issues, you slowly go back towards the stable baseline, testing at each iteration until you find a new stable baseline.

You bet your ass Sony is doing the same thing. If they can get more performance out of the PS4 before launch, there will be an update.

Basically you choose either 60 fps or 1080p for the Xbone in my opinion. Can't have both (except for Forza)

The big test will be what resolution Halo 5 and Titanfall are.

I bet they are 900p. Respawn has already avoided mentioning 1080p as a possible Xbox One version resolution, and Halo was announced as 60fps with no resolution confirmed.

keuja

Sigh...it's so difficult right now to be an Xbox fan. Really, I'm more of a Halo fan than anything. But as stalwart as I have been up until this point, I'm really thinking of at least canceling my pre-order and waiting things out for a bit to see how things shake out. I kind of don't have the money for it anyway.

Sad panda. :(

I don't think there is a Halo equivalent on PS4 so just enjoy the games you like man. At the end that's what really counts... Down the road, if you feel unsatisfied, you can always sell the Xbone and buy something else.

Demon Ice

Banned
Common, most of his talking is bullshit, remember E3...

The...same E3 where almost every single one of his predictions was correct?

Or did you just mean his style of posting is intentionally hard to decipher?

Edit: And all signs point towards them rushing the XB1 to market because Sony caught them with their pants down. Look at the sheer amount of features and functionality that are not going to available at launch for the XB1.

RoKKeR

Sigh...it's so difficult right now to be an Xbox fan. Really, I'm more of a Halo fan than anything. But as stalwart as I have been up until this point, I'm really thinking of at least canceling my pre-order and waiting things out for a bit to see how things shake out. I kind of don't have the money for it anyway.

Sad panda. :(

Comes with the territory. If you like the games and the ecosystem then there's no point in getting caught up in debates where words like ESRAM and clockspeeds are thrown around more than you can keep track of.

But of course waiting wouldn't be such a bad thing as well. The console landscape is going to be very different in 7-8 months now in terms of software and how the PS4 and Xbox One are actually doing on the market.

cchum

Uh oh at alluding to final hardware issues. Sub-1080p won't be an issue for the vast, vast majority of gamers, but shonky hardware will affected everyone.

RRoD / reliability killed my love of the 360, and looking at the recent thread about what consoles you've owned this gen, did the same for many others too. The one thing I took from the disaster that was the 360 hardware was that MS (or any other console maker) would never produce anything as poorly designed as that again.

By history could be repeating itself. MS rushed out the 360, knowing full well the boxes coming off the production line were fucked and the manufacturing process was a disaster. They did it for one reason only, which was to get as many consoles shipped before the PS3 launched.

But now they're now in panic mode with the PS4 and making last minute upclocks / changes. Combined with reducing the number of launch countries due to yield issues, it's not looking good.

Seeing how long MS have had to plan the successor to the 360, it's mind boggling they could be rushing anything.

They still quite don't understand hardware and the supply chain yet, which is strange for the push towards devices and services.

I wonder why CBOAT only tends to bring bad news about the Xbone? Hidden agenda? He failed to leak any of the upclocks so I doubt he's near the engineering side. Would take what he says regarding hardware with a grain of salt.

So basically a next-gen console that won't run 1080p on games except for the very rare exception... in 2013... and possibly the length of the console? So by 2020, it will barely have any 1080p games? Ouch...

dmr87

720p-900p expected to be the norm? Ouch. Can't say I'm surprised though, given how many launch titles for the XB1 are sub-1080p. That ridiculous memory architecture is biting them in the ass.

It's pretty disgusting that we still are at those resolutions, and might still be 5+ years from now.

Coolwhip

Banned
Slightly OT, but what is going well for MS right now? Desktop OS declining, failed tablet, failed phones and now their Xbox division..

How would that not be a good thing? He would have to stand by these "leaks" he is always a part of?

That would be a problem considering CBoaT tries real hard to avoid being found out. Either way, he has like a-

Since he's like 90% accurate, that wouldn't be such a big deal.

Yeah, this.

dead rising 3 and world of tanks were already known through leaks before cboat or e3.

December 2012

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...nts-to-california-setting-auto-mechanic-hero/

He called DR3 like a y-

He called DR3 a full year early.

...Yeah that.

Dammit all. Look, people. It's clearly not smoke and mirrors from CBoaT at this rate. The success rate would be a hell of a lot lower (and not 90%+) if it was.

Christ, CBoaT freaking called Remember Me a full year before it came out (as an E3 announcement too, much like PoP) and Dead Space 2 being a crazy co-op shoot the bang bang. Don't want to take it as fact? That's totally fair. But it does deserve mention and discussion.

Question: What CBoaT stuff/rumors are we still waiting on? I remember there was something Halo related...

Teletraan1

Banned
I wonder if this implies that we WILL see resolution differences in the launch third party titles between Xbone and PS4.

My gut feeling is that we will. There has been some mantra that we wont see big differences in launch games but I think when they are tight on time and cant really optimize they will just drop the resolution. The fact that we have seen very little of any 3rd Party game actually running on XB1 speaks volumes. They have never allowed both versions to be compared directly at these games conventions. I also would not doubt if reviewers were given PS4 versions of the game for review.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I wonder why CBOAT only tends to bring bad news about the Xbone? Hidden agenda? He failed to leak any of the upclocks so I doubt he's near the engineering side. Would take what he says regarding hardware with a grain of salt.

Here we go again.

N.Domixis

Banned
Maybe because he only leaks bad news? That's all he ever does.

reKon

Banned

damn juniors... keep the insightful comments coming!

Skeff

Upclocks shouldn't be a risk unless voltage was also raised. The upclocks are not big enough to cause issues related to RROD. RROD were hardware issues. If you try to force extra performance out of a power envelope that cannot support it, you get soft crashes.

Also, a 1080p framebuffer easily fits in 32MB of eSRAM. So unless it is bandwidth starved (which it shouldn't be), I don't see that as an issue either.

No it doesn't, deferred rendering has larger frame buffers than whatever the old method was called (lol sorry I don't remember the name) It's not unusual for framebuffers with deferre rendering to hit 40-55mb without AA and up to 150mb with AA.

What sort of hidden agenda? He's got a lot of things correct in the past

nib95

Banned

You have a lot to learn young padawan. Cboat has been nailing details long before anyone could have guessed them for nearly a decade. And he's posted positive stuff too, there's just been a short supply of it for the Xbox One, which isn't really his fault.

Derrick01

Banned

See? It's happening again.

You ever think with the shape MS' gaming division is in that it's all there is to leak? With how untrustworthy and downright shady they've been since the XB1 reveal?

Daeva

Banned
I honestly do not want Microsoft to fail this hard. But after last gen, and I had a MGS PS3 that died under two years, there is no way in hell I would trust upclocks. People seem to kind of cover for it saying that it will only lead to soft crashes. Soft crashes? On a locked console? Ummmm, yeah. Not good. At all. Ever.

From what I gather Sony should have like a year's worth of stable reliability checks at this point. Same with Micro. Suddenly upclocking puts you into new territory. It won't melt the system but it could make it unstable. Anyway, interesting developments.

UNCMark

Banned
Slightly OT, but what is going well for MS right now? Desktop OS declining, failed tablet, failed phones and now their Xbox division..

Services raking in huge amounts of money, OS raking in huge amounts of money, Azure raking in huge amounts of money, Xbox group helping the hardware group post a profit, Office making huge amounts of money. They're OK. Diversification helps.

So those game leaks of his were bad news?

Exactly. The Platinum leak isnt bad news. Unfortunately it's not come to pass yet. He also posted good news about the Black Tusk game.

Keep on ratting out the company that writes your paycheck. Good work

Serious? You also make it sound like what CBOAT is saying is 100% true. Do you work for Microsoft? Because if so, we could use some more ratting.

Exclusive game reveals = Bad news for Xbone.

Maybe because he only leaks bad news? That's all he ever does.

Really? Dead Rising 3 and World of Tanks as exclusive games was bad news? It's mostly game announcements and leaks from CBoaT, the only reason hardware stuff is in play is because next-gen.

Hell I remember lurking way back when when he was leaking shit about the 360 and some EA exec's contract

never doubt CBOAT when it comes to MS. His accuracy with them is almost always on point.

Sony is one where you find other sources before believing

And his rumors are almost negative because..well MS is having a very poor launch. He's gotten positive MS news as well (ie: DR3)

Gonff

Banned
But the Powerpoint slides that MS shares with them wouldn't be. :)

And you're right on the 'off-the-record' stuff, there's always the possibility that you tell your 3rd-party people lies or half-truths.

But being in a similar position myself, I gravitate more towards truth than lies, because when we're in a 'deep shit' situation, we want the 3rd-parties to be even more aware, responsive and agile in responding to potentially bad situations that will arise from the internal team fucking up.

I've personally been told to straight up lie to third parties before. I haven't been a developer long, but in my admittedly limited experience, it seems pretty common. I've worked with third parties before trying to get our systems to communicate only to have their manager go to my manager and tell bullshit stories about my work.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oowweee, this new thread was worth it for that BTM post alone. So much feels in one sentence. Lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom