• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

Danielsan

John Davison is definitely one of the best people working in the industry, so it's comforting to know that he's leading CBSi's game division.

LiK

Jeff said GB content won't change, why worry. The only differece is the lack of the other WM crew which makes is bittersweet.

LosDaddie

Banned
I've never voluntarily visited 4chan, but for me Gamefaqs was like 4chan without the pictures. Forgive me GAF I used to be a Gamefaqs member a long time ago. I was in college and it was the first time I had free internet access. Gamefaqs nextgen forums were like every troll banned from every site merged into one.

Yup. Gamespot's forums are the worst gaming forums on the web. PG-13 rules and a haven for trolls. The only active forums on GS are System Wars (troll-fest), and their lame, sanitized Off Topic forum. I posted there while I waited for my GAF account to be approved, and it was a shithole. But I still post on my GS blog for my game reviews. :lol

After watching the interview it sounds like this was done for good reasons

You mean done for obvious reasons.

It's pretty clear that GB (and probably all of WM) was in financial trouble, and wouldn't have survived for much longer. While CBS wanted all the mouse clicks and "gamer cred" that GB has.

Barrett2

Any word on whether Shelby lost money on this?

I have to assume Whiskey Media was a financial boondoggle for him to split it up and sell it in such a sad fashion.

I have to assume Whiskey Media was a financial boondoggle for him to split it up and sell it in such a sad fashion.

I dunno, Whiskey always seemed really experimental, to the point where something like this retroactively makes a ton of sense. Shelby probably knew in the long term he was going to eventually sell the site. Wonder what he's up to now. He did help form CNET, he must be well-off enough for any loss he may have incurred to be survivable.

MajorPain

cuz asshole management is long gone.

Even if that management is long gone think about how awkward it must be in that office right now. I would not trust GS or any of there management. Jeff has to be thinking WTF right now this is just crazy everything that GB stands for will be broken by CBS. CBS is all about the bottom line and if that means compromising your values and integrity to get more advertising dollars what do you think CBS is going to do?

Even if that management is long gone think about how awkward it must be in that office right now. I would not trust GS or any of there management. Jeff has to be thinking WTF right now this is just crazy everything that GB stands for will be broken by CBS. CBS is all about the bottom line and if that means compromising your values and integrity to get more advertising dollars what do you think CBS is going to do?

You say that, but everything Jeff has said indicates he isn't worried about that.

LiK

Actually, a lot of the GS staff are still friends with them. The only thing to worry about is CBS but i'm gonna give Jeff more credit that he knows what he's doing.

You sound like a conspiracy nut.

Jeff and the GB guys have been talking with CBS for a while. It's so arrogant to think that we can judge the situation better than them. After all the bullshit Jeff went through there's no way he'd accept this unless he was sure that they were going to fit in and he thought that they wouldn't be ripped apart in a year or two.

I get why people were dubious at first, but in the last 24 hours GB and CBS have done everything possible to show that the situation isn't going to be anything other than positive for GB. If you don't want to accept that, well, keep on preaching I guess.

LosDaddie

Banned
cuz asshole management is long gone.

But the business model still remains. New management doesn't change the fact that CBS is beholden to stockholders, who want to see growth in each and every single quarterly earnings report. If the CBSi division is not doing so, then there's no doubt it will be restructured to become profitable.

It seems likely that it always the plan to sell off these sites once they had grown enough. It's hard to imagine that he was in it for the long haul considering these sites had no real revenue stream outside of GB subscriptions.

The way some of you people are talking, you think the whole place was going to crumble tomorrow... that's not going to happ...

OH SHIT, has anyone archived the podcasts??

Zalasta

So the cycle continues. The doom and gloom is silly, but it is equally naive to think that GB operation won't be affected in the long run. Nothing will change at first, but there is no guarantee for the future because they do answer to others now.

MajorPain

Actually, a lot of the GS staff are still friends with them. The only thing to worry about is CBS but i'm gonna give Jeff more credit that he knows what he's doing.

I am on Jeff's side I believe he has a plan but is just playing it safe right now.

Oh come on. Gamefaqs boards aren't bad. If you ask a question it usually is answered.

Now if you post a troll topic. It's not really that much different from gaf :)

Oh come on. Gamefaqs boards aren't bad. If you ask a question it usually is answered.

I posted a question on GameFAQ once, and I got called "gay" and a "pussy" for "sucking" at an "bitch easy" game in one single reply

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One great thing about all this is that Alex is back at GB, really felt like he belongs there.

A question about memberships though, will they continue to have member fees...even though CBS pays the bills now? I know every site has em, I just saw GB's version of it as survival. Will they keep them in favor of increasing advertising or something?

Foliorum probably has like 5 different GB torrents seeded.

Huh? Haha.

I'm still working on downloading everything from GB. Taking a long time unfortunately! I only have about 400 QLs at the moment. It's hard downloading years of content from when I wasn't downloading everything when it went up!

If the GB library is ever lost you guys can't rely on me though. A 3/4tb torrent on my 50kb/s upload speed? Good luck having it all in 2050 :p

For now, until he jumps ship somewhere else. :p

That is the only bad thing that could happen, but he is still working on been Gamespot's Jesus and resurrecting it. If someone bad goes in his position, it could be 2007 all over again - and MegaExplosion.com will be born.

obonicus

So the cycle continues. The doom and gloom is silly, but it is equally naive to think that GB operation won't be affected in the long run. Nothing will change at first, but there is no guarantee for the future because they do answer to others now.

You're right, but there's really no point even to worry much about it. The deal's done; if the content gets worse, stop going to GB. We just don't get a say about this, one way or another.

andycapps

Huh? Haha.

I'm still working on downloading everything from GB. Taking a long time unfortunately! I only have about 400 QLs at the moment. It's hard downloading years of content from when I wasn't downloading everything when it went up!

If the GB library is ever lost you guys can't rely on me though. A 3/4tb torrent on my 50kb/s upload speed? Good luck having it all in 2050 :p

I downloaded the archive for GFW when that went up in flames. Hoping that you can get a faster connection or something. 50 kb/s upload? Are you on dialup? Haha

I downloaded the archive for GFW when that went up in flames. Hoping that you can get a faster connection or something. 50 kb/s upload? Are you on dialup? Haha
5mb. Pretty standard speed here in the UK... can't get anything faster in my area! :(

I had all the GFW/1UP Yours podcast when it died so I didn't have a heart attack like lots of people. I should note I'm downloading videos to save them for watching years later and because of bandwidth issues (I don't have enough of a monthly allowance to stream everything I'd want to - better to have it on my HD and save my bandwidth) not because I'm afraid GB is going to die. I've been making an effort to download everything slowly for the last few months.

LosDaddie

Banned

GAF's admins & mods are leagues better than the ones at GS/Gamefaqs. That's what truly separates GAF from the rest. Plus, not having the PG-13 rules that GS has is a huge benefit as well.

andycapps

5mb. Pretty standard speed here in the UK... can't get anything faster in my area! :(

I had all the GFW/1UP Yours podcast when it died so I didn't have a heart attack like lots of people. I should note I'm downloading videos to save them for watching years later and because of bandwidth issues (I don't have enough of a monthly allowance to stream everything I'd want to - better to have it on my HD and save my bandwidth) not because I'm afraid GB is going to die. I've been making an effort to download everything slowly for the last few months.

That's rough. 5 mb is pretty standard here in the US for cable connection, I pay an extra $5-10 for a turbo connection which doubles that and I believe makes my upload at 3 mb. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of hard drive space or I'd download all this. Also, not a paying member so can't download.

LiK

GAF's admins & mods are leagues better than the ones at GS/Gamefaqs. That's what truly separates GAF from the rest. Plus, not having the PG-13 rules that GS has is a huge benefit as well.
censorship there is terribad and not just with curse words. I stopped posting blogs there long ago when I can't even type "style" cuz they think people will use that to fuck with the blog code. it's stupid.

and the community there is pretty unbearable as well. too many kids.

LosDaddie

Banned
censorship there is terribad and not just with curse words. I stopped posting blogs there long ago when I can't even type "style" cuz they think people will use that to fuck with the blog code. it's stupid.

and the community there is pretty unbearable as well. too many kids.

YOUR HTML IS NOT WELL FORMED
GlitchSpot indeed. Like you said, you can't even use words like "style" or "classic" because of their fear of hacking, or something. Just a terrible website all around, which is I why I worry about GB's future.

I only post, for myself mind you, game reviews on my blog for each game I finish. I like putting my thoughts on (virtual) paper. That's about the extent of my GS use these days.

You know, I saw this when it was first announced, but it wasn't until about 30 minutes ago, I realized CBSi owns Gamespot... and the whole Kane and Lynch thing...

smfh

Jo-El

They could always just start another website if things go bad. Giant Bomb is nothing without them. I'm not worried.

Top Bottom