• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

LCfiner

They could always just start another website if things go bad. Giant Bomb is nothing without them. I'm not worried.

people say this but... this purchase shows that a gaming website of the scope that these guys want to make requires big money from a larger backing company. small ads and memberships can’t hack it. not with multiple video guys and editors.

If they left again, it would be the same kind of outcome unless they just wanted to make a blog and a cheap podcast.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess Jeff just plum forgot he was fired from Gamespot.

He's returning to take over the joint like a conquering hero, I think he knows what's up.

I saw yesterday that Davidson and Gerstmann were going to be discussing the kane n lynch thing at some point in the late afternoon / evening. Did that happen / is it posted anywhere?

Gl to Gb

Jo-El

people say this but... this purchase shows that a gaming website of the scope that these guys want to make requires big money from a larger backing company. small ads and memberships can’t hack it. not with multiple video guys and editors.

If they left again, it would be the same kind of outcome unless they just wanted to make a blog and a cheap podcast.

Sure, obviously a small site isn't really what they want, but they've done it before and could do it again. Not that I think it would come to that, at least in the foreseeable future.

Good point. So, I know Giant Bomb will still be Giant Bomb and fans can still go to their site to see QL's and the like right? Will those GB segments be viewable on GS?

Akia

I think one of the options Giant Bomb turned down was joining Vox Media and being integrated into The Verge

http://www.theverge.com/gaming

Vox Media hired these guys instead:

Chris Grant - Former Joystiq
Justin McElroy - Former Joystiq
Brian Crecente - Former Kotaku
Russ Pitts - Former The Escapist
Chris Plante - Former freelance (the daily)
Russ Frushtick - Fomer MTV Multiplayer blog
Arthur Gies - Former Joystiq
Griffin McElroy - Former Joystiq

I think one of the options Giant Bomb turned down was joining Vox Media and being integrated into The Verge

Thank fuck.

verge.jpg

Hipster central. They make Norm look like an anti-hipster.

Jo-El

Q: Jeff, you developed your own brand and style for Giant Bomb, but said you needed to add business savvy to get to the next level.
Why CBS? CBS Interactive, John may be hip, but when you say CBS you think, "Isn't that where they have TV shows for old people?"

Jeff Gerstmann: Ultimately it all comes down to I just want to get on the set of The Price Is Right and play Plinko, and this was the shortest route to making that happen.

Probably dressed them up, but the fact they want to advertise the site like that makes me hate it enough for it not to matter!
It would've been fine if Vox bought GB. While that promo picture is pretty stupid, The Verge does good content, as does SB Nation.

Verge needs to change their site layout though. Shit is horrendous.

Akia

Q: It really feels like the plot of a movie, where the ousted employee returns years later, Steve Jobs-like, to take control of the company and bring it to greatness... no wait, that's not quite right...

Jeff Gerstmann: No, no, you got it right, take over the company, you got it. (Laughter) It is, quite literally, the craziest... Back in '07, when I got fired, I've always described it as the craziest thing that ever happened to me; this is a very close second. It's something we kind of joked about back in early 2008: "You know, you realize we're just going to build the site and sell it back to those guys?" "Ah, that'll never happen!" And here we are.

I think deep down we saw some of the other moves that were being made, with all the Joystiq guys leaving to form that crew at Vox, and everyone went "Ooh, that's crazy!" Then Ben Kuchera went and started the Penny Arcade thing and I went "Oh, man, that's insane!" But all along we were sitting there going "We have something way crazier than that!" Just biting our tongues, going "Oh, man, they don't even know, this is going to be the most insane story of the year." So I'm throwing down the gauntlet, and I'd like to see someone top this. I don't think it gets any weirder and cooler than this.

Mission Accomplished

Cartman86

Banned
Unbelievable.

Assuming it's some "hipster" thing (it looks like a cool 70's newsroom thing to me) why does that matter? Does hipster even mean anything anymore? I always thought it was a label for people who like things that no one else likes and if that thing becomes popular they will dismiss it out of hand. It has now just become "Those people like to dress different than me! Fuck em!" And no I don't dress like that.

Assuming it's some "hipster" thing (it looks like a cool 70's newsroom thing to me) why does that matter? Does hipster even mean anything anymore? I always thought it was a label for people who like things that no one else likes and if that thing becomes popular they will dismiss it out of hand. It has now just become "Those people like to dress different than me! Fuck em!" And no I don't dress like that.

The funny thing is that GAF is full of hipsters.

they just don't want to admit it.

Look at this thread, A lot of people are/were pissed with the move because it meant GB was going "mainstream" and selling out. Sound familiar?

Many also hate new music, movies, TV shows, and games because they aren't like the good ol days.

That's why when there is hipster bashing, I always snicker.

Self-Loathing and all that.

(not everyone of course but still)

Special J

Banned

GET HIM he's one of them! :p

I hope they have a more open desk plan then that.

Giant Bomb should not be shoved into cubicals.
It just did... :|

Anyway, while I was visiting Gamespot today to see what they had to say about Giantbomb, I was greeted with this... Hey Jeffery, are you sure you are excited about Gamespots advertising services? Yep, huge success' already... :\

*INSERT "Well I guess that's that" dude*

2150691-gamespot_kfc_ad_2012_03_16.jpg

Patryn

Anyway, while I was visiting Gamespot today to see what they had to say about Giantbomb, I was greeted with this... Hey Jeffery, are you sure you are excited about Gamespots advertising services? Yep, huge success' already... :\

Look. They already tried different advertising stuff. They tried to be selective. They tried to cover the difference with subscriptions.

It looks like it didn't work.

*INSERT "Well I guess that's that" dude*

2150691-gamespot_kfc_ad_2012_03_16.jpg

huh. That's pretty expensive for fastfood pot pie.

Patryn

Also, isn't KFC the sort of advertising GB would have wanted before? It's not for a gaming company, so it wouldn't give a shit if they gave a game 1 star or 5.

Tadale

I'm sure it's been suggested, but I'd like to see them do some new How to Build a Bomb videos while they set up the new office space.

Also, isn't KFC the sort of advertising GB would have wanted before? It's not for a gaming company, so it wouldn't give a shit if they gave a game 1 star or 5.
No, I get that. They wanted to go after non-game related ads, but jesus, I cannot even see a piece of content of their site. I mean I can see why people block ads after going back to gamespot.

Top Bottom