• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

jediyoshi

It was very clear when they offloaded all their video content to YouTube that something was up.
So months and months ago before the neogotiations were even happening? They didn't even have all the ad stuff people also cited for their downfall in yet. What exactly did these changes affect out of what you got from GB or what they put out?

Patryn

Is any content going up today? Maybe today's quiet will result in us getting a 5 hour bombcast tomorrow.

Still moving in. We already know that it's unlikely we'll get a TNT.

We'll be lucky to get 2 QLs this week.

Only thing I'm hoping for this week is a couple more videos of them moving in.

So months and months ago before the neogotiations were even happening? They didn't even have all the ad stuff people also cited for their downfall in yet. What exactly did these changes affect out of what you got from GB or what they put out?

Nice job reading something that I never even came close to saying.

All I'm saying is that it was clear they weren't in great shape when the video stuff had to be moved to YouTube. Calm down.

chiablo

My suggestion for the new office:

Get rid of the Big Red Phone, and replace it with an always-on live stream for the Warlords machine.

Patryn

What happened to Screened.com and Matt Rorie?

Sold to BermanBraun with Tested and Anime Vice. According to Rorie, Screened is staying put for now and he'll be writing for it. But it sounds like there's a distinct possibility both those facts may change in the near future.

jediyoshi

Nice job reading something that I never even came close to saying.

All I'm saying is that it was clear they weren't in great shape when the video stuff had to be moved to YouTube. Calm down.
So you just extrapolated things beyond the actual numerous reasons they gave for the switch? I assumed you were basing your assumptions on something outside of being an internet detective.

DaBuddaDa

According to Rorie, Screened is staying put for now and he'll be writing for it. But it sounds like there's a distinct possibility both those facts may change in the near future.

Rorie kept saying "for now" to qualify everything he's said about his future with Screened. It sounds to me like he's very much exploring other options for the future.

Yikes. Things are going south in the GB forums. Lots of people saying they won't resubscribe because of sentiments like "dude, I was supporting the underdogs, now they sold out!", and "they obviously don't need my money any more because of CBS!".

After this and the on-disc/day 1 DLC fiascos that keep on popping up I'm thinking gamers sorely need some business lessons.

DaBuddaDa

Yikes. Things are going south in the GB forums. Lots of people saying they won't resubscribe because of sentiments like "dude, I was supporting the underdogs, now they sold out!", and "they obviously don't need my money any more because of CBS!"

Hollow threats. They'll resub once they realize that they're going to be locked out of a lot of content when it expires.

Yeah, come May or so I expect a renewed push to deliver lots of subscriber exclusive content.

Yeah, I guess they've been lacking a little. Jeff never got around to doing his Hall of Fame feature for example, and I have been hoping for more scrub-leagues & retro game Quick Looks. I'd even be up for some retro TNTs.

Plasma

Banned
As long as they keep putting out good premium content I'll resubscribe in September, I wonder if they'll do a Big Live Live Show Live this year.

Patryn

Yeah, I guess they've been lacking a little. Jeff never got around to doing his Hall of Fame feature for example, and I have been hoping for more scrub-leagues & retro game Quick Looks. I'd even be up for some retro TNTs.

I think without the interns or Will and Norm the scrub league is dead.

Linkified

With this move and the potential that is there, I am considering subscribing. A month ago, there was no way I would ever consider subscribing to a site.

Same I'm more interested in subscribing now more than ever but hopefully they will be able to implement more ways to pay for the content.

Jintor

Well, I got auto-resubbed and was seriously considering cancelling for about a three hour period after the news broke but then my fucking brain turned back on and I started looking at the situation rationally. I think it'll be fine.

Aaron

Yikes. Things are going south in the GB forums. Lots of people saying they won't resubscribe because of sentiments like "dude, I was supporting the underdogs, now they sold out!", and "they obviously don't need my money any more because of CBS!".

After this and the on-disc/day 1 DLC fiascos that keep on popping up I'm thinking gamers sorely need some business lessons.
Children will act like children. Don't expect any better of them.

I do wonder which high horse some of the subscribers will climb on now, because they can't say "Without my five dollars there would be no Giant Bomb and all nonsubscribers are terrible freeloading scum" anymore without getting shot down with a "But now they've got CBS money!"

I do wonder which high horse some of the subscribers will climb on now, because they can't say "Without my five dollars there would be no Giant Bomb and all nonsubscribers are terrible freeloading scum" anymore without getting shot down with a "But now they've got CBS money!"

Whoever says that is dumb (and I've frankly never seen anyone say that-- but I haven't been on the GB forums for *too* long). But them keeping their subs is still important. As long as they stay financially successful, they will be able to keep doing what they are doing without any interference.

I think without the interns or Will and Norm the scrub league is dead.
I think they can do it perfectly fine with the GameSpot staff though.

Flavius

My initial thought was...wow, what a bunch of knuckleheads.

But then I thought...yeah, if they don't see the value in supporting the site by subscribing, beyond throwing some cash at some dudes they perceived to be the underdog, then I suppose it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to continue with their subscriptions.

There was never any mention of refunding portions of annual subscriptions was there? I wasn't able to find any statement on that, one way or another.

Patryn

There was never any mention of refunding portions of annual subscriptions was there? I wasn't able to find any statement on that, one way or another.

Nope.

If it makes you feel any better, that money won't be going to CBSi or Gamespot, because you already paid it. It went to Whiskey, and odds are that they already spent it paying people/buying equipment/etc. It's like people forgot that fact.

So if you don't want to give CBSi/Gamespot money, just don't resubscribe. Until then, take advantage of the stuff you've already paid for.

DaBuddaDa

Where are the ads on giant bomb?
I don't think I've ever seen one

0crp2.png

Patryn

They need to make another one of these to assuage the fears that their behaviour would change under CBS' thumb.

Fun fact: I was a 1Up fan back in those days. I hadn't really visited Gamespot, but I certainly heard about everything when the Kane and Lynch thing went down, but I wasn't really familiar with the crew back then.

It was actually that video that brought Giant Bomb to my attention.

Xanathus

I think the ads only show up if you connect from USA. I've never seen a single ad in GB. Seriously, whiskey media's ad people are/were horrendously inept.

I imagine their ethics on having only "good" ads probably hamstrung them a lot. Also I recall seeing a page on their ad prices when they were first starting out and it was ridiculously expensive considering they were still new and didn't have as many viewers.

edit: lol their ad page now links to this http://www.cbsinteractive.com/advertise/

Wasn't sure where else to put this -- GameFAQs and Gamespot are now "unmerging" their message boards.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/6-message-board-announcements/62336098

It seems like John Davison is pushing away from a super empire of video game websites and moving more into each site serving their specific niche. It makes me feel a little bit better about Giant Bomb being under the CBSi umbrella. I don't feel like CBSi is going to dictate content to Giant Bomb anymore.

Wasn't sure where else to put this -- GameFAQs and Gamespot are now "unmerging" their message boards.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/6-message-board-announcements/62336098

It seems like John Davison is pushing away from a super empire of video game websites and moving more into each site serving their specific niche. It makes me feel a little bit better about Giant Bomb being under the CBSi umbrella. I don't feel like CBSi is going to dictate content to Giant Bomb anymore.

they are preparing to merge gamefaqs with giantbomb.

Top Bottom