• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD PROJEKT has sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games

dex3108

• The CD PROJEKT Group reported 584 million PLN in sales revenues and 251 million PLN in net profit for 2016.
  • Cumulative revenues from sales of The Witcher 3 topped 1 billion PLN in 1.5 years.
  • Since the release of the first instalment in The Witcher trilogy CD PROJEKT has sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games.

The strong market position of The Witcher underpins the commercial success of the Blood and Wine expansion pack, published in May. The 2016 revenues and net profit of the CD PROJEKT Capital Group were equivalent to 75% of the corresponding figures for 2015, which is when the release of The Witcher 3 took place. These excellent financial results for the past two years enable us to pursue new, ambitious undertakings and further expand our enterprise. Key development projects currently underway include Cyberpunk 2077 and GWENT: The Witcher Card Game. – says Piotr Nielubowicz, Vice President for Financial Affairs.

For years we have consistently prioritized quality and focused on a limited range of products. The persistently strong sales of the entire The Witcher series vindicate our approach and contribute to long-term appeal of our releases. Between the launch of The Witcher in 2007 and the end of 2016 we have sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games. – remarks Adam Kiciński, President of CD PROJEKT.

This year we will continue to expand The Witcher brand – it is, after all, the year of GWENT. We’re in the process of organizing the game’s first major tournament, with a 100 thousand USD prize pool. Another crucial round of beta tests will commence in spring, with the retail release to follow in the second half of 2017. – adds Kiciński.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/cd-projekt-posts-strong-results-2016/

Also end of the fiscal year conference in an hour

In 90 minutes we will kick off with @CDProjektRED_IR FY 2016 results conference - join us here: https://t.co/1jXRe59jBR

holy-sht.gif

Well deserved. Such a fantastic world they've created.

Joco

How many of those were from The Witcher 3? I would bet it has outsold the previous two combined.

ffvorax

One of the best series ever. Well deserved. 1 & 3 are really fantastic games (not liked much the 2, but still was not a bad game).

Card Boy

Banned
Witcher 1 + 2 are basically sold for $2-3 bucks each at every Steam sale and before that it was $5. I wonder how much of that 25 million number counts those sales. 10.5 million of those sales are from PC (according to Steamspy). 7.7 million of which are Witcher 1 + 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Witcher 1 + 2 are basically sold for $2-3 bucks each at every Steam sale and before that it was $5. I wonder how much of that 25 million number counts those sales. 10.5 million of those sales are from PC (according to Steamspy). 7.7 million of which are Witcher 1 + 2.

There's also GOG and retail to consider. It's safe to say that the PC represents at least half of the figure, which, really, is to be expected given the series didn't hit consoles until the X360 port of The Witcher 2 in April 2012.

Lets hope Cyberpunk does just as well

Dunno why, but I'm keeping my expectations not too high for Cyberpunk. Too much hype could hurt it.

It wont I think.

It's a new IP unlike Witcher. It's also in a genre that's a lot less mainstream than fantasy.

The Witcher 3 is a new IP for the whole Sony Playstation audience. You highly overestimated the popularity of the first two Witcher games as well.

Sevenfold

Incredible game. I hope more people play 2 off the back of their experience with 3. I have 400 hours combined but have never played Witcher 1.

I do worry a bit for Cyberpunk, because Witcher 3 is a fucking hard act to follow. Consumers are going to have some massive expectations going into it.

Zedark

Amazing. An earlier Milestone was 10 million Witcher 3 and 10 million Witcher 1+2 right? They might be close to 15 million Witcher 3 units sold then, extremely well-deserved!

Absolutely incredible game (Gwet as well), fantastic news. Cyberpunk has me close to the most hyped I've ever been for a game

Amazing. An earlier Milestone was 10 million Witcher 3 and 10 million Witcher 1+2 right? They might be close to 15 million Witcher 3 units sold then, extremely well-deserved!

Indeed, looking at how Witcher 1 and 2 have sold combined with that 10 million figure for W3 being from all the way back of July of last year, 15 million roughly for Witcher 3 is a very safe estimate. Could be slightly more or slightly less but its right around that range.

liezryou

One of the few developers for which i will preorder blindly at full price. Very much deserved. Looking forward to cyberpunk.

Also fuck denuvo.

That's not that much for 3 games. Should have been a lot higher

For some perspective, it's about the same numbers as the Uncharted trilogy had sold (just before 4 released), and significantly higher than the Mass Effect trilogy, which is somewhere around 10-15 million total sales. So I'd say 25 million is frickin' amazing, and certainly cements it as a leading AAA franchise. There are certainly games and series that have sold better, but not that many.

BizzyBum

Completely deserved. Best devs in the industry currently.

I'm playing ME:A currently and it's such a joke compared to Witcher 3.

What other TPS sci fi RPGs are coming out? After ME:A's reception the thirst will be epic.

The thirst will undoubtedly be huge. I'm just slightly worried about any potential lashback due to people having HUGE expectations for the title due to the reception of Witcher 3. I'm sure the team is feeling this pressure quite a bit.

Ray Down

Banned
I do worry a bit for Cyberpunk, because Witcher 3 is a fucking hard act to follow. Consumers are going to have some massive expectations going into it.

Man but if there able to pull off the magic again in a cyber punk universe.....

I will buy so many copies for friends.

Savitar

They deserve it, they deserve even more. It was criminal how Witcher II was still over looked by so many since it wasn't another big name title when it came out.

Trickster

The Witcher 3 is a new IP for the whole Sony Playstation audience. You highly overestimated the popularity of the first two Witcher games as well.

People tend to be aware of the big titles even if they are not on the platforms they own. I mean if Mario came to the playstation 4, you wouldn't have people going "oh hey what this mario game? never heard of that before".

And I'm not overestimating the popularity of the first two games. In fact that part of my reasoning for saying that Cyberpunk 2077 probably won't do as well as Witcher 3. The Witcher series build up it's brand over 3 superb games.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Congratz CD Projekt, well deserved.

It wont I think.

It's a new IP unlike Witcher. It's also in a genre that's a lot less mainstream than fantasy.

The Witcher series sold ~ 6-7 million before the third game was released and it was pretty much pc exclusive except for the second game which also released on Xbox. Now look at how much it sold with Witcher: The Wild Hunt, which is also multi platform.

People tend to be aware of the big titles even if they are not on the platforms they own..
Wild Hunt? Yeah, the first two games not so much. All they need to do is add "From the makers of the Witcher games" and it will be noticed.

Also they have bigger marketing resources than they did with the first two games.

Top Bottom