• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD PROJEKT has sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games

Well deserved. CD Projekt set the gold standard for AAA RPGs with The Witcher 3. Their games are marvels of art design and technology with solid writing that doesn't treat the audience like idiots, they gave us the GOG platform to curate classic games, don't believe in customer-facing anti-piracy annoyances and offer amazing backlog support and quality expansions.

Keep winning, Warsaw.

lumzi23

holy-sht.gif

Well deserved. Such a fantastic world they've created.

To be fair the universe was created by Andrzej Sapkowski. CDProjekt only turned it into game form (not that don't deserve praise for what they did with the license).

Savitar

To be fair the universe was created by Andrzej Sapkowski. CDProjekt only turned it into game form (not that don't deserve praise for what they did with the license).

CDProjekt actually gets all the profits too, Sapkowski gave them the game rights etc for a fixed amount of money. Not that he's exactly happy about that now due to how successful it is, but he doesn't like the games so eh

Exentryk

Great stuff! Can't wait for the next Witcher game! A next-gen release with their upgraded engine... LORD!!!

I bought Witcher 3 on GOG, and will continue to support CDPR on GOG. Hell, I'm even considering buying Cyberpunk even though I don't have much interest in playing it just to support these wonderful devs.

I bought the first two games twice. Because it was like $3. PC games should be ranked by revenue.

They are now. They sold millions of the first game and millions again of the second game, when they were new. They were able to make a game like Witcher 2, pc exclusive after the first game, also pc exclusive, in a time before steam was what it is. And they were able to make a game like Witcher 3 based on how the first 2 performed. No need to downplay the first 2 games

Incredible. They started out translating Bioware games to Polish, and now they're more acclaimed and more successful than Bioware ever has been. I'm guessing TW3 has got to be approaching 15 million sales by itself by now?

lumzi23

CDProjekt actually gets all the profits too, Sapkowski gave them the game rights etc for a fixed amount of money. Not that he's exactly happy about that now due to how successful it is, but he doesn't like the games so eh

Yeah I heard all that. Bit of a shame. I wonder if he has seen the game in action.

Ratrat

They are now. They sold millions of the first game and millions again of the second game, when they were new. They were able to make a game like Witcher 2, pc exclusive after the first game, also pc exclusive, in a time before steam was what it is. And they were able to make a game like Witcher 3 based on how the first 2 performed. No need to downplay the first 2 games
Oh, its definitely a great success.
But yeah, these days even AAA console games are on sale for $1 digitally. Its kind of hard to tell just how impressive raw sales numbers are.

Love CDPR, one of the best and most consumer friendly devs out there so this is all very well deserved.
TW3 is still my game of the gen! What a masterpiece along with REAL expansions.

Now hurry up with that Cyberpunk 2077 footage pls :)

DiscoJer

I dunno. Have you read the books? They are awfully derivative of D&D, especially the first short stories.

I think CDP deserves most of the credit, taking a fairly pedestrian series and breathing life into it.

120v

other than Souls games i can't think of a modern series that came such a long way in such a short time. factor in CDPR's beginnings and that's a hell of a success story

Ratrat

I dunno. Have you read the books? They are awfully derivative of D&D, especially the first short stories.

I think CDP deserves most of the credit, taking a fairly pedestrian series and breathing life into it.
I've read them. The short stories are pretty good and some of the characters like Triss and Dandilion are actually bearable there. The game is merely lifting and expanding off of what he built. Its mostly similar in style and substance.

Auraela

Banned
I like the witcher games but i hope there quest design doesn't follow to others. 90% of quests in witcher are all about using the senses to find an item or a body or a trail and its frankly terrible.

xviper

well earned, even though Witcher 1 and 2 are trash, but Witcher 3 is a masterpiece and deserves all these sales and more on it's own

hope they don't let go of the series and give us Witcher 4 starring Ciri

I'm so happy they have made bank with TW3, one of the best games I've ever played -- and I hate games like TW3.

Incredibly excited for Cyberpunk

gizio

Well deserved! Witcher 2 caught me by surprise with its rich world and characters (I had no clue about Geralt & Co.), I was fully on board with the 3rd installment and I loved the two expansions even more than the main quest tbh. CD Project is a blessing for the gaming industry.

Sulla1980

I've read them. The short stories are pretty good and some of the characters like Triss and Dandilion are actually bearable there. The game is merely lifting and expanding off of what he built. Its mostly similar in style and substance.

I actually find the bolded fairly remarkable. I have been replaying the three games after reading about five of the books, and I think that they nailed it.

I also think that the amnesia bit is a well-used device here and is handled really well. Its not at the forefront of the story in any of the games overall, but its a constant through line that jumps straight to the front in the most important moments of the games.

Of course, the amnesia does make for some awkward scenes in the first game, like when you first meet Dandelion, a more-or-less constant companion to Geralt in the books. Dandelion is remarkably undisturbed by the whole thing and seems content with telling Geralt "Oh yeah, you know me. We're friends."

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
damn well done CDPR. before witcher 3 came out i had no idea who they were but now they are one of my favourites. witcher 3 is fantastic. can't wait to see more about Cyberpunk 2077.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear. Never played the first one, but 2 and 3 are damn fine games.

Looking forward to some teasers or info on Cyberpunk.

boskee

There's one thing missing from the OP, and that is the statement by the CEO saying that the second AAA game is being built simultaneously with the Cyberpunk 2077

thelastword

Banned
If CDPR has categorically ruled out a PS4 Pro patch, which it has, then it's not going to pursue a Scorpio patch.
I will hold you to that, when the Scorpio remaster emerges....

Obviously if they do a scorpio remaster, they will have no choice but to do a PRO patch as well, but it's something I expect we will see when the Scorpio debuts....Dont forget, this game had a marketing deal with and for the XB1/MS...So a slighlty better looking scorpio version of Witcher 3 over the PRO is right up the alley of said deal/partnership..

Heh, Witcher 3 was better on XB1 for quite a while on debut for weaker hardware. I think this guys honor their marketing deals/partnerships quite a bit.....

Sizzel

This is how we get Witcher 4. That is too much potential dosh to be left on the table. I don't care what anyone says. ...unless GOG takes off so much they stop making games and we never get Half Life 3..err Witcher 4.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I will hold you to that, when the Scorpio remaster emerges....

Obviously if they do a scorpio remaster, they will have no choice but to do a PRO patch as well, but it's something I expect we will see when the Scorpio debuts....Dont forget, this game had a marketing deal with and for the XB1/MS...So a slighlty better looking scorpio version of Witcher 3 over the PRO is right up the alley of said deal/partnership..

Heh, Witcher 3 was better on XB1 for quite a while on debut for weaker hardware. I think this guys honor their marketing deals/partnerships quite a bit.....

lol it won't get a remastered version. it's not that powerful. you really think they're gonna go back to Witcher 3 now and remaster it? they said it wasn't worth their time/money to do a ps4 pro patch. scorpio is gonna be just an Xbox One Pro. so they won't bother upgrading it. there is no reason for them to do it. it's not gonna make them any money.

cyberpunk 2077 on the other hand will take advantage of the ps4 pro/scorpio no doubt.

This is how we get Witcher 4. That is too much potential dosh to be left on the table. I don't care what anyone says. ...unless GOG takes off so much they stop making games and we never get Half Life 3..err Witcher 4.

It'll happen one day, it just won't star Geralt. They've always been clear that TW3 was the end of Geralt's story, and not the end of Witcher games. If Cyberpunk 2077 works out really well with a character creator then I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Witcher series one day that also features a character creator. There's a lot of Witcher schools beyond Kaer Morhen.

poodaddy

Totally deserved. As far as I'm concerned these are the most ethical devs in the industry period, and I couldn't be happier to see their success. I'm unreasonably excited for Cyberpunk, and I know they won't disappoint.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i think witcher 4 is inevitable now. CDPR has the control over it. if they want to put out a 4th game then they can. they don't need to go to Sapkowski. that said though...i don't want a witcher 4 any time soon and we shouldn't expect Geralt to appear unless as a cameo.

i want them to focus fully on Cyberpunk 2077 which isn't gonna be just a one off game (unless it bombs) but first in a series. right now they are working on the Gwent game too. After all that I would love to see another new IP. CDPR have been working on Witcher games since 2002 i think. They deserve a break from it.

Dr. A

Wonderful news and so very well deserved. In fact, they should have sold even more.

Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna melt faces, yo...

Top Bottom