• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD PROJEKT has sold over 25 million copies of The Witcher games

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I contributed 4 towards this :) Witcher 1, 2, + 3 (x2). I've bought W3 on both PC/PS4. I'll be buying it on PC again because I want to start using GOG more and anyway it'd probably be cheaper to buy the GOTY than the Season pass. I only own the base game on Steam. CDP already gave me Witcher 1 + 2 for free since I already bought it on Steam. I hope they do the same for Witcher 3 but I don't mind buying it again.

Nezacant

giphy.gif

LMAO. I love the internet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I will hold you to that, when the Scorpio remaster emerges....

Obviously if they do a scorpio remaster, they will have no choice but to do a PRO patch as well, but it's something I expect we will see when the Scorpio debuts....Dont forget, this game had a marketing deal with and for the XB1/MS...So a slighlty better looking scorpio version of Witcher 3 over the PRO is right up the alley of said deal/partnership..

Heh, Witcher 3 was better on XB1 for quite a while on debut for weaker hardware. I think this guys honor their marketing deals/partnerships quite a bit.....

I sincerely doubt CDPR is contractually obligated to provide a Scorpio patch due to a marketing deal. I mean, disregarding the fact that marketing deals relate to, well, marketing, the deal pertaining to The Witcher 3 kicked off with a gameplay trailer at E3 2013 and has well and truly run its course, it's platform holders that approach publishers with the desire for exclusive coverage rather than the other way around, and most pertinently there are PS4 games that Sony marketed that continue to be without a Pro patch (Destiny perhaps being the most obvious example). Now, don't get me wrong as I'd have no issues whatsoever with PS4 Pro/Scorpio owners having the near-definitive version of the game, but considering CDPR's reasoning was that preparing a Pro (and by extension Scorpio) patch would take away resources from Cyberpunk 2077, which, in all likelihood, is a 2018 release at the absolute best, I don't see either happening -- at least not any time soon.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Same =D I bought the GOG version of TW3 but it was so good I had to buy the physical CE as well.

i wish i had bought the collector's edition but to be fair i didn't know if i'd like TW3. i remember hesitating about paying £55 for it on launch. after about 10 hours of playing i felt i paid too little.

for the expansions i bought the pass which let me buy the 2 physical gwent boxes from the witcher store. i ended up keeping them sealed and bought the HoS box off ebay and bought the B&W box again and gave away the code to download it. so i have 4 gwent decks sealed and 4 to play with.

Congrats CDPR! So well deserved. Sadly we won't see a new one for a long time.

Can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 reveal. Really curious to see that game.

Soph

Currently replaying Witcher 1 on Hard to see some other decisions I hadn't taken before, well deserved!

Made me stop playing Dragon Age: Inquisition too.. .Witcher 1 a 2003(Edit: 2007) game!

obeast

Currently replaying Witcher 1 on Hard to see some other decisions I hadn't taken before, well deserved!

Made me stop playing Dragon Age: Inquisition too.. .Witcher 1 a 2003 game!

TW1 is horribly dated in a lot of ways, but surprisingly playable and modern in others. When I played it somewhere near release, it blew my mind that all the peasants would run for shelter when it started raining - that's a degree of responsiveness still absent from a lot of present-day games (e.g., DA:I and every other Bioware game, which don't even have changing weather, much less NPCs that react to it or anything else).

Fuck that swamp, though.

Would've had at least 1 more copy sold of The Witcher 2 if they ported it to PS3. Hell, give me The Witcher 1 & 2 on PS4 and I'll buy that day 1. This is coming from someone who owns both those of steam and GOG.

Luxorek

Made me stop playing Dragon Age: Inquisition too.. .Witcher 1 a 2003 game!

2007 ; ] I still remember receiving my CE copy and playing it for hours on the very same day.

Congrats to CDPR! The Witcher games will always hold a special place in my heart.

Soph

TW1 is horribly dated in a lot of ways, but surprisingly playable and modern in others. When I played it somewhere near release, it blew my mind that all the peasants would run for shelter when it started raining - that's a degree of responsiveness still absent from a lot of present-day games (e.g., DA:I and every other Bioware game, which don't even have changing weather, much less NPCs that react to it or anything else).

Fuck that swamp, though.

I remember playing this back then and being totally blown away, I've always been more of a PC gamer, consoles really couldn't keep until recently.

The animations that get stuck are terribly outdated though, I hate those tank controls sometimes, very infuriating on hard.. where 1 stuck animation means instant death.

Mifec

they deserve more, Witcher 3 is probably my game of the generation so far.

It is mine for sure and I don't see anything overtaking it for me. The complete package is just too good. hell blood and wine was better than any full game released last year, I guess doom comes close.

Cyberpunk will be the first game that I will DAY ONE at 0% discount since Homeworld Remastered. And Total War: Shogun 2 before that.

That's how highly I think of them.

Peroroncino

Well deserved, they blew my expectations out of the water with Witcher 3, so now let's hope they do the same with Cyberpunk.

There's one thing missing from the OP, and that is the statement by the CEO saying that the second AAA game is being built simultaneously with the Cyberpunk 2077

It's Witcher 4 most likely. Been saying it's in pre-production for a while as they've heavily hinted that and it makes the most business sense.

MadYarpen

I remember GameSpot saying that they saw some dev's description/ expectation regarding cyberpunk and they said (i think it was O'Dwyer) something like cyberpunk will shit on the witcher . Surely it helps to keep my expectations in check.

I own Witcher 1 and 2..

Witcher 1 was bought at full price.
W2 $5 steam sale

Total play time 3 hours...

One day..I will play these games...

Probably buy W3 and ignore too lol

Doomshine

I remember being a little worried when it was revealed that W3 would be an open world game, but holy shit did they pull it off. In fact, the leap they've made with each game is incredible (yes, I know some people don't like W2), well deserved sales.

what? They're making a Wtcher 4? HYPE. Next gen I'd suppose? Let's hope not.

Not confirmed but it's something I've been following when CD Projekt Gives road maps and to me it has seemed to indicate W4 has been in pre-production of some form for the last year by their new 2nd AAA team. The game is supposed to be launched by 2021 so yeah I'd guess W4 is an early next gen game.

Budi

Truly a marvelous franchise, one of the greats. Deserves every sale it has and more. I have already gifted most of my Steam friends Human Revolution, so I've been doing a bundle of Witcher 1 and 2 after that. While I'm extremely excited for Cyberpunk, especially now with the situation Deus Ex is in, it's sad to let Witcher franchise go. But as said in this thread, Witcher 4 is likely.

When I played it somewhere near release, it blew my mind that all the peasants would run for shelter when it started raining - that's a degree of responsiveness still absent from a lot of present-day games (e.g., DA:I and every other Bioware game, which don't even have changing weather, much less NPCs that react to it or anything else).

I didn't even play it at release, the enhanced edition was already out and so was Witcher 2 I think. Still I remember being really impressed and surprised and telling my friend about it in Steam.

One of the best series ever. Well deserved. 1 & 3 are really fantastic games (not liked much the 2, but still was not a bad game).
Wait you liked 1? And then not 2? I'm so confused. 1 is... Pretty bad when it comes to gameplay / user experience / everything that is not the story. I'm glad we can agree about 3

kitzkozan

For some perspective, it's about the same numbers as the Uncharted trilogy had sold (just before 4 released), and significantly higher than the Mass Effect trilogy, which is somewhere around 10-15 million total sales. So I'd say 25 million is frickin' amazing, and certainly cements it as a leading AAA franchise. There are certainly games and series that have sold better, but not that many.

It make sense given that it's got it's own identity as a monstrous wrpg in term of scope and content and was released at the right time (and building upon the foundation from the books). It probably help that they released a GOTY packed with the DLC which must surely be the leading unit in sales.

It's got to be the second or third best selling wrpg behind Skyrim and depending on how well Fallout 4 sold? We know Skyrim is above 30 million sold and that Fallout 4 initial shipment was of 12 million copies.

mhayes86

Well deserved. Never played Witcher 1 or 2 due to lacking a decent PC or an Xbox, but Witcher 3 was amazing. Just from following some of the development, CDPR appeared to be a great team.

It's got to be the second or third best selling wrpg behind Skyrim and depending on how well Fallout 4 sold? We know Skyrim is above 30 million sold and that Fallout 4 initial shipment was of 12 million copies.

Yeah biggest WRPGs should be

1. Skyrim
2. Fallout 4
3. Witcher 3

Unless I'm forgetting something

obeast

Wait you liked 1? And then not 2? I'm so confused. 1 is... Pretty bad when it comes to gameplay / user experience / everything that is not the story. I'm glad we can agree about 3

TW1 has arguably some of the most interesting and complex quest systems in the whole series, and is a sprawling RPG a little more akin to TW3; TW2 (in which the combat and user experience is better, but also not great) is a much leaner beast, with a few small areas to explore, a focus on cinematic presentation, and a short, highly political plot. I can see how someone who cares more for the first kind of game might prefer TW1.

My preferences are the standard ones, though -- TW3 >> TW2 > TW1 -- mostly because I struggle with to relate to the voice acting and dialogue in the first game. Triss in particular has 1) atrocious voice acting and 2) a totally different personality (Yennefer-lite, basically).

Trago

FUCKING. DESERVED.

One of the top developers in the industry today.

Cyberpunk 2077 is my most anticipated game, and I know they're gonna kill it.

It's gotta sting being the author who took a lump sum instead of a royalty deal. He'd be a multi-millionaire right now. I'm sure he's making bank off of book sales though.

Budi

I also prefer W1 over W2. Though it's not a big difference really, when I would score W2 at 89 W1 would be just point or few more. Just to show that there's a slight preference. I liked the quests and story better in the first game and also the combat. It felt more original and tactical than the combat in the Witcher 2, which felt more like an imitation of what was popular at the moment, mainly Assassin's Creed and Batman. To be fair, the laptop I played W2 wasn't powerful enough to run the game in satisfactory way. Couldn't even keep 30 fps, so ofcourse that has an effect on how the game feels to play. So maybe that colored my negative impression of the combat a bit. But yeah, Wild Hunt is the king of the franchise, that includes the combat.

Top Bottom