• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt: Worth $1 billion, 100 devs on Gwent, GOG Galaxy as uPlay?, more

MuchoMalo

Banned
All the new art they are doing for cards, putting in groundwork for that SP campaign, audio design, UI design QA, extensive play testing before beta phase etc. All that takes a lot bodies, especially if they want game to have short-ish dev cycle before it's released.

Makes sense I suppose.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
3oEjHPxEecCMjPHHR6.gif
Thats fucking amazing!

Can't wait for CP2077 news next year (hopefully).

PFD

Kinda surprised they have so many bodies on it. Isn't team for Hearthstone something like 30-40? I guess CDPR really wants Gwent out of the door so they can move bodies to CP2077 team.

Their entire marketing team is working on it, so that should explain the high number

ghostjoke

Banned
Damn, that's impressive and well deserved. I wonder if any of the other big companies might take some notes from how they do business.

boskee

Oh and GOG is expanding to Brazil, while Gwent will be distributed in China by GAEA.

CD Projekt is clearly interested in the emerging markets.

Pepboy

CD Projekt has posted its quarterly results for Q2 2016. They have exceeded analysts prognosis by 32%. As a result, their share price has jumped, making the company worth more than $1 billion.

Revenue in Q2 2016: 319 million PLN ($82 million)
Net profit in Q2 2016: 134,7 million PLN ($34.7 million)

According to the company's strategy, their aim is to generate a net profit of 618.4 million PLN between 2016-2019, 855,5 mln PLN between 2016-2020, or 1.09 billion PLN between 2016-2021.

Since the beginning of the year, CD Projekt's share price has increased by 67%.

Full results can be found here: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/result-center/

Other interesting information:

- GOG Galaxy is working for CDPR: they have sold more addons to the Witcher 3 than the main game itself last year.

- Galaxy will be used for online features in CDPR games going forward. Gwent will be powered by Galaxy (which has built in cross-play support).

- Most of the revenue generated by the Witcher 3 addons was included in Q1 report.

- Game development spending amounts to around $3.75 million per quarter.

- CDPR wants to prepare Gwent for e-sports market.

- 100 developers work on Gwent, including the entire marketing team.

- No plans for mobile Gwent at this stage, although "CDPR like mobile"

- Final release expected few months after the start of the closed beta

- CDPR is on a hiring spree - currently 104 job offers on their website.

- GOG is expanding to Brazil

- Gwent will be distributed in China by GAEA

I wish I had taken the time to get access to options. I feel now would be the perfect time to short cd project.

They don't have much in the way of upcoming material that will matter to fans. I think gamers are getting sick of the witcher series, galaxy use will fall once they have finished putting deep discounts to acquire customers... It seems like the perfect case where investors are fooled by the PR and don't see how low future returns will be, especially if they are increasing hiring.

Probably end up being bought out or merging with a bigger player in a few years.

Edit: especially if they are pushing on gwent... Seems unlikely to be a long term revenue stream (if they even make their money back with 100+ devs working on it). No way does gwent have the casual appeal of hearthstone needed to attract the whales.

Best game of 2015. Best game of the generation. Best business practices in the industry. They deserve all the success that comes their way. Congrats, CDPR.

Tovarisc

No mobile plans for Gwent sounds really shortsighted.

Didn't harm Blizz and HS. They had no mobile plans for quite a while and afaik to this day has no console plans.

Edit: Gwent is hitting PC, XBO and PS4 at same time with very likely possibility for mobile "soon" after

Good for them, hope they keep the Rockstar model in mind more than the other gaming companies - a few games a decade, but VERY VERY good and extremely polished games, vs churning out a whole bunch of shit and hoping some of it sells well.

I know why EA, Activision, and Ubisoft are run the way they are but it is kinda sad at how many of their games now are just new coats of paint on the same ideas and not given enough time, especially in design. It doesn't have to be unique, Witcher 3 really isn't anything new or different, but it has to have a very strong point of view and not try to be bland and inoffensive.

- Galaxy will be used for online features in CDPR games going forward. Gwent will be powered by Galaxy (which has built in cross-play support).

Does it mean Galaxy will become mandatory for CDPR games ?

100 devs on Gwent?

I enjoyed Gwent in The Witcher 3 but it was a very shallow and unbalanced card game. Unless they fundamentally overhauls the overall system I don't see it will have long-lasting appealing, which is a necessity for a successful card game.

Tovarisc

100 devs on Gwent?

I enjoyed Gwent in The Witcher 3 but it was a very shallow and unbalanced card game. Unless they fundamentally overhauls the overall system I don't see it will have long-lasting appealing, which is a necessity for a successful card game.

They are redoing whole game while maintaining core ideas that made it huge in TW3. From card art to gameplay balance.

RK9039

100 devs on Gwent?

Gwent has been re-done for the stand alone, even the weather cards can be used for synergy so it's not as shallow as before.

The W3 version of Gwent is the only card game I've ever enjoyed so far.

KorrZ

Great news for CDPR and the industry as a whole. CDPR are one of the shining beacons in this industry right now, and them being so successful will hopefully encourage others to follow suit.

Cyberpunk is pretty much a guaranteed day 1 buy and I don't need to see anything from it.

Genio88

To me they're worth even more, if you think that Microsoft bought Mojang/Minecraft for 2.5 billion, CD Project also has a online store for games besides The Witcher franchise

I wish I had taken the time to get access to options. I feel now would be the perfect time to short cd project.

They don't have much in the way of upcoming material that will matter to fans. I think gamers are getting sick of the witcher series, galaxy use will fall once they have finished putting deep discounts to acquire customers... It seems like the perfect case where investors are fooled by the PR and don't see how low future returns will be, especially if they are increasing hiring.

Probably end up being bought out or merging with a bigger player in a few years.

Edit: especially if they are pushing on gwent... Seems unlikely to be a long term revenue stream (if they even make their money back with 100+ devs working on it). No way does gwent have the casual appeal of hearthstone needed to attract the whales.

Did you somehow forget about GOG?!?! Galaxy is a non-factor in the greater picture.

matmanx1

Many congratulations to CDProjekt. They are on a roll recently and their financials support that. The Witcher has been a great series and a fun ride but I can't wait to see them introduce Cyberpunk or something else outside of The Witcher universe. I'm eager to see what else they are capable of.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Good for them, hope they keep the Rockstar model in mind more than the other gaming companies - a few games a decade, but VERY VERY good and extremely polished games, vs churning out a whole bunch of shit and hoping some of it sells well.

I know why EA, Activision, and Ubisoft are run the way they are but it is kinda sad at how many of their games now are just new coats of paint on the same ideas and not given enough time, especially in design. It doesn't have to be unique, Witcher 3 really isn't anything new or different, but it has to have a very strong point of view and not try to be bland and inoffensive.

Witcher 3 had a pretty short development time (3.5 years) compared to most Rockstar games.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Congratz and keep doing what you are doing CDP.
Can't wait for Cyberpunk.

Does it mean Galaxy will become mandatory for CDPR games ?

No, as it says it's for online features which makes sense and Cyberpunk probably will have some online/multiplayer stuff but that info is old and we barely have any news about the game.

injurai

Banned
Witcher 3 had a pretty short development time (3.5 years) compared to most Rockstar games.

If you account for pre-production then it is comparable. 2077 is going to have 6.5-7 years total by the time it comes out.

Red Dead Redemption started in 2005 and release 2010.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If you account for pre-production then it is comparable. 2077 is going to have 6.5-7 years total by the time it comes out.

Ah yeah, you're right.
Well hopefully CDP's newest expansion will let them have more projects developed in parallel (like now they have 3, 2 AAA and one smaller) which might lead to a smaller wait between their games but still have a long development time for them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Excellent news! Really happy for them. I'm a bit concerned with Galaxy though. I really don't want to have to install yet another game client alongside Steam, Origin, Battle.net, uPlay. Also, does this mean their games on PC won't be available on Steam/Origin and be GOG exclusives?

Anyway, I can't wait for Gwent! I have never really been into card games and skipped most of Gwent during my first playthrough but got hooked to it. The mini game in Witcher 3 isn't designed to be PVP and I know the standalone will be heavily reworked.

As for Cyberpunk 2077...it's easily up there in my top 3 most anticipated games. I'm happy they have the ability to spend more money on developing the game so it should be even better than what it'd have been if Witcher 3 wasn't so successful.

Can't wait to see where CDPR are in 5-10 years from now. Really exciting. They have become one of my favourite studios out there in such a short space of time. They genuinely care about their fans.

Bl@de

It was stated in an interview that only a small team even worked on CP2077 (and that announcing it so early was done to sign people for the project). Developement has started after Hearts of Stone was complete. Most probably 99% were crunching for W3 and a (really) small team was collecting ideas and visiting locations to get inspiration for CP2077. And now (after the release of B&W) a small team is bugfixing W3 and the rest moved on to CP2077.

It's awesome that CDPR is taking Gwent so seriously. Just a mini game that people begged wanted as a standalone and they're going so above and beyond with it.

Geralt is getting many more 10hr single player campaigns in Gwent. Fully voice acted and everything :)

but Gwent is the only thing that i legitimately dislike (like i do the animus in AssCreeds games) about the game :(
it's gonna be hard to platinum the game because of those Gwent related trophies when i do my second playthrough for the trophies

injurai

Banned
It was stated in an interview that only a small team even worked on CP2077 (and that announcing it so early was done to sign people for the project). Developement has started after Hearts of Stone was complete. Most probably 99% were crunching for W3 and a (really) small team was collecting ideas and visiting locations to get inspiration for CP2077. And now (after the release of B&W) a small team is bugfixing W3 and the rest moved on to CP2077.

Mike Pondsmith has been routinely flying out to Poland since 2012. All that early conceptualization, story writing, engine planning certainly contributes to a games development.

Nevermind having your programmers busy getting practice on TW3 can't be underestimated.

From this point on I'm expecting about 3 years of development on asset creation and game logic based on the groundwork that has been paved over the past 3 years.

Sanctuary

It's also worth noting that all the Gwent dev happens in their main studio in Warsaw, while the bulk of Cyberpunk 2077 dev is done in their Cracow office. They are also on a hiring spree - 104 job offers on their website.

They are recruiting for positions such as Sandbox Designer, Exploration Designer,

Ugh. Before reading this post, I was thinking that Cyberpunk 2077 is more than likely going to be even closer to the GTA/Ubisoft formula than TW3 was. I hope that it won't be, but considering how TW3 already shifted towards that direction, and how well those games sell, I won't be surprised if it is.

This, is what came to mind:

t3_324f15

Ugh. Before reading this post, I was thinking that Cyberpunk 2077 is more than likely going to be even closer to the GTA/Ubisoft formula than TW3 was. I hope that it won't be, but considering how TW3 already shifted towards that direction, and how well those games sell, I won't be surprised if it is.

t3_324f15

Nothing wrong with making a game that has mass appeal.

Tovarisc

t3_324f15

It's CDPR game so combat will suck so much anyways that most of GAF can't play it in first place. /s

Tovarisc

Wait wait wait. Are we going to get Blade Runner-style flying cars?

If they're player-controlled... I may never leave the room.

• Creating the whole architecture of vehicle related code and the physics of driving / flying in those vehicles.
  • Taking a part in the design process of the gameplay.
  • Ensuring that game scripts are well designed, and are optimal in terms of CPU and memory consumption.
http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/vehicle-gameplay-programmer/

Then look at early concept in CGI from 2013; https://youtu.be/UWOEFkauoYY?t=69

Time to start stock up on diapers?

edit: also Ciri already seen CP #jelly :D

Top Bottom