• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: Blood & Wine is Geralt's last story; feel it's "better than the main game"

yeah, sort of how i approach it, too. I've been trying to save as much as I can (side quests) this time around precisely for that reason. feel like I never appreciated some of them when I did them during the story, but after I beat the game, I desperately wanted more side quests =p

either way, hyped for B&W simply because HoS was awesome... plus I've been listening to the Vampire TM Bloodlines OST a lot this winter and it's got me in the mood for the Blood & Wine mystery and intrigue.

Flipyap

Good ending?

Emhyr
went to war with the north to marry her, knowing she's his child. He wanted to be the progenitor to the child of destiny.
Placing her anywhere near his sphere of influence is ludicrous. As is Geralt even considering bringing her to him.

Not to mention that Nilfgaard technically already has an empress
Ciri even
, CDPR just completely neglected her existence for some reason.
It's also the last thing she ever wanted,
so that ending's entire "goodness" depends on her doing unreasonably well in a role she's not qualified for. It's more like a Lifetime Of Misery And A Horrific Disaster Waiting To Happen ending.

So is it confirmed this takes place after the main story?

Takes place as an entirely separate side story, similar to Hearts of Stone.

I don't know how they could do something that takes place after the main story seeing how the ending is pretty definitive for Geralt and for other characters. The level req is likely to be for post-game though.

Piggus

It's like Hearts of Stone. Side story. That's why I'd play HoS and Blood and Wine after finishing the game. That way I get the good ending where
Geralt basically retires and does contracts and whatnot on the side. Makes more sense.

Even if you stick with Yenn instead of Triss and retire for good, it's not specified when that takes place. It's assumed that Geralt takes care of lingering business in the immediate aftermath of the main store before eventually going off to live with Triss or Yenn.

Takes place as an entirely separate side story, similar to Hearts of Stone.

I don't know how they could do something that takes place after the main story seeing how the ending is pretty definitive for Geralt and for other characters. The level req is likely to be for post-game though.

A reminder:
The events of the ending, including Geralt going off and retiring, do not happen right away, otherwise you'd be sent back to the title screen following the final quest.
So BaW can take place in the immediate aftermath of the main story just as any unfinished quests take place after the main story.

Cannot wait! I'll miss you Geralt!

As an aside, I thought there was still another dlc after this one. Does that mean an all Ciri story for that one?

Even if you stick with Yenn instead of Triss and retire for good, it's not specified when that takes place. It's assumed that Geralt takes care of lingering business in the immediate aftermath of the main store before eventually going off to live with Triss or Yenn.
Sure but it's implied that
he ties up loose ends and finally settles down eventually.
I just picture it as a few months afterwards, maybe 6 months. Fits better in my mind.

Piggus

Sure but it's implied that
he ties up loose ends and finally settles down eventually.
I just picture it as a few months afterwards, maybe 6 months. Fits better in my mind.

The key word there is "eventually" haha. It actually makes a lot more sense to do the expansions AFTER the main story considering how time-sensitive the main quest is (or is supposed to be).

Ciri/Yen: "The Wild Hunt could show up at any time. We need to hurry!"

Geralt: "K, brb in a few weeks. Got some other shit to do."

really hope B&W has more sewers... as beautiful as the forests and mountains Skellige were or Velen's 'orange', damn did I love exploring rat or vampire infested sewers.... by far my favorite hunts aside from 'wyrms' were vampires or anything sewer related.

i should really replay VTM Bloodlines as a nosferatu again =p sewer hounds

The key word there is "eventually" haha. It actually makes a lot more sense to do the expansions AFTER the main story considering how time-sensitive the main quest is (or is supposed to be).

Ciri/Yen: "The Wild Hunt could show up at any time. We need to hurry!"

Geralt: "K, brb in a few weeks. Got some other shit to do."
Well yea, that's exactly what I mean :p

JKmvrFM.gif

mace999

Neo Member
My favourite game of the last 10 years, loved the 1st dlc and can't wait for this one.
CDPR are now my favourite developers, the content in the box was second to none, the soundtrack, the map, the free 12 dlc, the thank you note ..... I have not had one ps4 game that has come close to this content in just the standard game.

And next will be a cyberpunk game, oh my lord, can't wait for that.

Kumquat

really hope B&W has more sewers... as beautiful as the forests and mountains Skellige were or Velen's 'orange', damn did I love exploring rat or vampire infested sewers.... by far my favorite hunts aside from 'wyrms' were vampires or anything sewer related.

i should really replay VTM Bloodlines as a nosferatu again =p sewer hounds

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I love exploring natural enviroments and hate more dungeon and sewer enviroments.

Like when I played Dead Island it was great until you were running through the damn sewers all over the island. Hated it.

CDPR clarified a bit more on Blood & Wine to Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wi...-refined-th/1100-6433865/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Now, the Polish studio has provided some additional context and clarification around that comment. CD Projekt Red marketing lead Michal Platkow-Gilewski tells GameSpot that Blood and Wine is not necessarily "better" than the main game, but it should feel "more refined."

"Blood and Wine is the sum of all the experiences we gained when creating Wild Hunt, so it's definitely more refined than Wild Hunt in many regards, but that doesn't mean it's better per se," he said.

Platkow-Gilewski went on to say players can look forward to all manner of new monsters, quests, and places of interest in Blood and Wine. He also notes that Blood and Wine's new realm, Toussaint, rivals the size of those found in the base game. But he wouldn't get drawn into a debate about what's "better."

"I wouldn't point fingers at what's better separately, as each addition to Wild Hunt (including over 10 updates we've released so far) enriches the overall experience you get from The Witcher as a game in general," he said. "The base game with the expansions is simply better than without them."

f'ing dumbass. You're in marketing! You can't backpedal! Just say it's better and leave hype levels on auto-max. You're working for CDPR, you already know the content is going to be great and full of effort.

Saying it's not necessarily better automatically will make gamers think it sucks and it probably blows, well at least that's how they'll post on the internet.

This is how the interview should have gone:

"how good is the final expansion?"

"so good"

Blood and Wine is a 20-hour tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, and will take Geralt to a land untainted by war, where an atmosphere of carefree indulgence and knightly ritual masks an ancient, bloody secret.

That sounds very cool, and a nice contrast to the war-torn world from Witcher 3.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I see little reason they should have backstepped on that statement.

I guess Gamespot pushed them to elaborate? I already knew what you meant, dude.

Top Bottom