• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR keeping Witcher 3 keys for Origin, uPlay and GOG; tell GMG to go pound sand

Quotient

That doesn't make any sense. How are GMG sourcing the keys? Are their that many nvidia promotion keys being sold?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't Namco the publisher in some regions or something? Couldn't they have received the keys from Namco instead of directly from CDPR and that is why CDPR don't know where they got the keys from? Because CDPR isn't Namco and let Namco handle the distribution in some regions? Wikipediea says Namco are the publishers in PAL regions, GMG is UK based right? Makes sense.

CDPR is self-publishing the game worldwide on GOG, Steam, PSN and XBL. I'm inclined to think that Scamco doesn't have the right to sell the game digitally anywhere, which would explain CDPR's comment. Well, that or CDPR agreed to Scamco being allowed to sell the game digitally on some sites and the person who was contacted for comment didn't get the memo.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Pfft you can't expect game journos to go out and do research can you?

More like the CDPR employee didn't look into it before making a statement to journos.

That doesn't make any sense. How are GMG sourcing the keys? Are their that many nvidia promotion keys being sold?

There has to be thousands of witcher 3 codes floating around from that promo. Like others have said though, GMG isn't a key reseller.

That depends. Is Namco at all involve on the digital end? Or is it just distribution of retail units?

I'm willing to bet that GMG is buying up Nvidia codes second hand and reselling them. So, technically, the money is still getting to CDPR through whatever deal they have with Nvidia.

If that's the case, then CD Projekt is getting nothing from GMG's sales. GMG could destroy their entire stock of Witcher 3 and it wouldn't affect CD Projekt's revenue from GMG at all... because their copies of the Witcher 3 are not generating any.

GMG's treading dangerous waters here.

madjoki

Yeah, this is odd.

Odd is also how GMG is much cheaper than others, even before coupons, where usually preorder discounts are pretty much the same across retailers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, this is odd.

Odd is also how GMG is much cheaper than others, even before coupons, where usually preorder discounts are pretty much the same across retailers.

Remember that GMG's cut is 30%, which means it can offer slightly deeper discounts at the cost of reducing its own share of the revenue. This tactic is something Amazon employed liberally when it launched its PC DD store and began selling Steam keys, and for a more recent example you need look no further than Nuuvem.

Momentary

Banned
GMG has been too good to me for me to jump to conclusions with them. The worst thing they've ever done so far is just wait until the last second to give me my key for pre-load.

Corpekata

Banned
Looking at other europe based legit retailers like Gamersgate and GetGamesGo, neither are selling it. I'm starting to think it might be as suggested, Namco has no right to sell it digitally. Us based sites like Gamestop seem to be selling digital copies via Warner Bros. Probably some sort of breakdown in communications between CD Projekt and Namco.

Squire

Banned
CDPR is self-publishing the game worldwide on GOG, Steam, PSN and XBL. I'm inclined to think that Scamco doesn't have the right to sell the game digitally anywhere, which would explain CDPR's comment. Well, that or CDPR agreed to Scamco being allowed to sell the game digitally on some sites and the person who was contacted for comment didn't get the memo.

Witcher 3 is a WB game in the US, Namco in PAL regions. I don't know where you got the idea CDPR can reach all of those channels on their own.

Edit: Oh, you meant digital. My bad!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Remember that GMG's cut is 30%, which means it can offer slightly deeper discounts at the cost of reducing its own share of the revenue. This tactic is something Amazon employed liberally when it launched its PC DD store and began selling Steam keys.

And then Tony left and it all went to shit. Damn, Amazon pcdd was bringing the heat like 3-4 years ago.

Now the question arises if this is a normal thing that GMG does or if it's TW3 specific.

EDIT: I'd wait for the to respond first though and explain before making any generalisations

Quotient

More like the CDPR employee didn't look into it before making a statement to journos.

There has to be thousands of witcher 3 codes floating around from that promo. Like others have said though, GMG isn't a key reseller.

I am surprised people are selling them. I thought being a high-profile game, and potential candidate for game of the year, that folks would probably hold onto their keys.

I'd wait until more details come to light before drawing any conclusions. The info we know now has holes and doesn't add up.

Gamespot didn't bother to reach out to GMG before dropping the article, this may be a misunderstanding as Namco is clearly involved as well.

Keep in mind there are also several language barriers going on here.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it is on the up and up. I've bought plenty of games off GMG, just an oddly worded statement is all. Hopefully they clear things up quickly.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I am surprised people are selling them. I thought being a high-profile game, and potential candidate for game of the year, that folks would probably hold onto their keys.

A lot of people got Steam preorders for like $18 before Steam shut down cross region trading then bought new cards eventually. That's how I wound up with one anyway.

dex3108

Now the question arises if this is a normal thing that GMG does or if it's TW3 specific.

EDIT: I'd wait for the to respond first though and explain before making any generalisations

This is first time that something like this happened as far as i know. They are legit store and i still trust them but they need to release statement as soon as possible to avoid damage.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It won't prevent me from buying outright but I will be keeping this in mind. I got The Wheelchair 3 from GOG anyways.

I bought Witcher 3 off of Steam directly (big discount if you own both Witcher 1 and 2) and I was sad when I saw the price GMG was selling it for.

But now I might be glad I didn't buy it from them, yeesh.

Will wait until further details are released, GMG has had a fairly good track record up till now. Fairly scathing if true though.

scitek

uh how is this GMG's fault

it's probably Namco or something

they're not key resellers and there's nothing shady about them

also there's no way CDPR isnt getting any money from those keys, that's not how it works

It does if GMG had someone rappel into CDPR's building and generate keys.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit GMG. I've been using them a long time. Always seemed like a good site.

Same... hope this isn't an indication of things to come.

Either way, I bought my copy of TW3 directly from GOG.

erawsd

If that's the case, then CD Projekt is getting nothing from GMG's sales. GMG could destroy their entire stock of Witcher 3 and it wouldn't affect CD Projekt's revenue from GMG at all... because their copies of the Witcher 3 are not generating any.

GMG's treading dangerous waters here.

Right. They wouldn't be getting anything from GMG sales directly, but they have still technically been compensated for that particular key based on whatever Nvidia gives them.

That said, I agree that something like this could potentially hurt their relationship with GOG.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I find this:

Exceedingly unlikely.

CDPR generated and sold those keys to someone. They don't grow on trees.
Well, could be a shady employee with an access to a key generator who then sells the keys to someone willing to resell them. Unlikely of course - but that would put the blame on the reseller for selling illegally obtained keys.

It'll be interesting to see how GMG handles the Witcher 3 upon release. Will they end up getting the keys out on time to their users, or will there be trouble?
Right. They wouldn't be getting anything from GMG sales directly, but they have still technically been compensated for that particular key based on whatever Nvidia gives them.

That said, I agree that something like this could potentially hurt their relationship with GOG.
If GMG isn't a key-reseller, they didn't get these keys from Nvidia promo re-sellers.

pahamrick

It'd be easy to tell if they came from nvidia. The Witcher 3 promo doesn't give GOG redeemable keys. Once you use the nvidia key on nvidias redemption site you have to log into your GOG account and it redeems the game directly to your GOG account. They're doing the same thing on Steam with the Arkham Knight promo.

The fact that Gamespot didn't reach out to GMG or at least point that out in the article is really troubling. Even if they refuse to comment it needs to be in the article.

This feels incomplete.

badb0y

These are definitely not nVidia promo keys, the promo essentially forces you to go to gog.com and link your gog account directly to The Witcher 3, they don't give you a CD key to the game.

EDIT: Also, stop jumping to conclusions before you hear all sides of the story, GMG hasn't done anything wrong in the past to have such quick judgement bestowed upon them.

Krakn3Dfx

It'd be easy to tell if they came from nvidia. The Witcher 3 promo doesn't give GOG redeemable keys. Once you use the nvidia key on nvidias redemption site you have to log into your GOG account and it redeems the game directly to your GOG account. They're doing the same thing on Steam with the Arkham Knight promo.

So yeah, that's not the case at all then based on the GMG product page:

Please note: This title will be delivered as a GOG key, that will be redeemable on http://www.gog.com/

Keys will be delivered prior to the release date.

This reeks of miscommunication between publisher and developer.

The fact that Gamespot didn't reach out to GMG or at least point that out in the article is really troubling. Even if they refuse to comment it needs to be in the article.

This feels incomplete.

Feels like clickbait.jpg

erawsd

If GMG isn't a key-reseller, they didn't get these keys from Nvidia promo re-sellers.

That remains to be seen. It sounds like they are getting GOG keys from someone that isn't GOG.

These are definitely not nVidia promo keys, the promo essentially forces you to go to gog.com and link your gog account directly to The Witcher 3, they don't give you a CD key to the game.

EDIT: Also, stop jumping to conclusions before you hear all sides of the story, GMG hasn't done anything wrong in the past to have such quick judgement bestowed upon them.

If thats true then who knows.

I don't know why everyone is making a leap that something illegal or shady is going on. "Unknown source" literally means exactly what it says and nothing more. It just means CDPR doesn't know. It doesn't mean there's something wrong.

BibiMaghoo

I don't buy it, they have never ever been 'dodgy' cheap when they easily could be and do well like the sketchy sites do.

knitoe

I bought Witcher 3 off of Steam directly (big discount if you own both Witcher 1 and 2) and I was sad when I saw the price GMG was selling it for.

But now I might be glad I didn't buy it from them, yeesh.

When did Steam offer the big discount if you had Witcher 1 & 2? I preorder awhile ago and only got thei thin 10% off.

And personally, I never had problems with GMG. I ordered mostly through them for Steam and Origin.

Top Bottom