• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR keeping Witcher 3 keys for Origin, uPlay and GOG; tell GMG to go pound sand

Sijil

Well that is weird, GMG is an official reseller of Steam, Origin, Uplay and Rockstar keys and they're not some shady grey market dealers, they have official partnerships with 2K, so they're not the type to use some VPN/CC fraud to get cheap keys and dump them on the market.

Squishy3

If you own Witcher 1 & 2 on Steam you can pre-order 3 now for £34.99, GMG's £32.49 deal is good but it doesn't seem so low it must be shady-good.
I'm a US customer and bought Witcher 3 from GMG before the deal went live and paid $46. That's still cheaper than the Witcher 1+2 discount.

This has to be a misunderstanding, though. There's no way that it isn't. Keys can't be determined illegal or not yet because the keys won't be distributed until 2 weeks from now at the earliest and release day at the latest.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say every digital distributor sells pre-orders without keys in hand, I doubt Valve has any keys for Just Cause 3, but they're still selling pre-orders, same with Amazon or any other site that sells digital keys, legit or not. That's usually something that's held until very close to launch.

Sorry, my post wasn't super clear. I'd imagine they make some kind of distribution deal beforehand, but keys are kept safe and sound to prevent bullshit before official releases. That's how I thought it worked at least.

Edit:

I'm calling GOG unprofessional for telling their forumites not to purchase from GMG due to perceived shadiness around the keys, and for publically commenting before the facts are clear.

Ohhh. Yeah sorry, completely misread your post and assumed you confused GOG with GMG given that the acronyms are similar enough :lol

Kiyo

Also bad form for CDPR to come out and tell people not to buy from GMG without doing proper research first. It really makes it seem like "Oh someone posted a deal to a site where we make less money from sales. We should put the site into question while at the same time try and push GOG as the best place to buy."

I'd be super pissed if I were GMG and this is just a misunderstanding. Having an official representative from CDPR come out and say not to buy from them hurts their sales.

Krakn3Dfx

Simply I posted the GMG deal on CDPR forum, since it was very good (and on GOG too).

NARC.jpg

Seriously tho, it's too bad this rolled out online when it did, pretty sure it's night where GMG is, so there's a chance they don't even know what's going on at this point.

Almighty

Well I am a little surprised about this news. I have used GMG for a while now and they always seemed on the up and up. So either they decided to go shady recently or there is some kind of misunderstanding going on. My money is on that latter, but I guess time will tell.

dex3108

Nice to see that there are Moderators on CDPR forum who are willing to accuse GMG without hearing their side of story.

Those are some pretty big accusations thrown at GMG. But we can't really say much without hearing GMG's side of the story

Also because I've been using GMG for the past like... 2-3 years to get new games on Steam. Hell, Cities Skylines, Battlefield Hardline, and Wolfenstein TOB from just the past 3 months I all got from GMG. With the Witcher 3 keys, that CDPProject CDPR is insinuating that there's some malicious intent in there with those CD keys without providing any evidence to back it up. I wonder if they've known about this for a while?

dex3108

lol he shut down the thread.

WTF XD

Green Man Gaming has been caught selling fraudulent Steam keys at least twice.

I don't know where they're claiming to be getting these keys from. But if they do not deliver, or deliver keys that do not activate, you, the innocent purchaser will have no recourse, not against CDPR, not against GOG, nothing this forum can help you with.

Buyer be warned. Thread closed until Green Man Gaming can provide evidence that they are an authorized reseller.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35436-Witcher-3-35-off?p=1634982&viewfull=1#post1634982

It's really poor form to see the mods react the way have on the CDPR forum, before hearing from GMG. They have now closed the thread. Gamespot should have reached out to GMG before updating too IMO. A lot of people in the comments are reacting negatively towards GMG yet nobody even knows what's actually happening yet.

chris121580

It's really poor form to see the mods react the way have on the CDPR forum, before hearing from GMG. They have now closed the thread. Gamespot should have reached out to GMG before updating too IMO. A lot of people in the comments are reacting negatively towards GMG yet nobody even knows what's actually happening yet.

People jumping to conclusions without evidence? No way! Sadly this has become the norm in society

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well the mods are going in hard there. Anyway does anyone have any idea what that last guy was talking about? As I have never heard of GMG being caught selling fraudulent keys before.

Yeah, I think he's confusing GMG with G2A.

dex3108

Well the mods are going in hard there. Anyway does anyone have any idea what that last guy was talking about? As I have never heard of GMG being caught selling fraudulent keys before.

Maybe he is confused and thinks that GMG = G2A

Man, y'all two are getting some moderator stinkeye over on the CDPR forum.

This is not how you react on official forum when these kind of issues are in question. Moderators saw post form CDPR and now they will close every conversation that want to include GMG response.

Krakn3Dfx

news_facepalm.png

Have never heard of this, but as others have said, he's probably thinking of G2A.

Nvidia cards maybe?

As someone pointed out, those don't come with GOG keys, which these will be according to GMG's product page.

Dezzy

Well crap, I already bought a key this morning before knowing about this. I wonder if they'll cancel our order and refund us the money if requested.

DeaviL

Banned

Google brings back nothing.
In fact, it brought up the stolen Sniper Elite 3 keys where GMG is listed as one of the licensed resellers.

Mods story spawned from a very particular black hole, from where it was tugged into the light.

Kiyo

Defamation lawsuit incoming from GMG? Is the moderator an official representative of CDPR? You can't just throw accusations around like that and screw with a company's reputation.

shandy706

They ran out of keys once. (Can happen to anyone) They accidently had some duplicates go out once I think too. (Can also happen by accident to anyone)

That's all I've got from the last 4 years of using them. (Shrug) I don't know.

Why is it taking GMG ages to respond?

They like to sleep at night?

jrcbandit

The most likely situation is that someone at at the CD Projekt forum is confusing GMG with G2A, which explains the comment about being caught with fraudulent keys (G2A).

Also, GMG is never ridiculously low priced like grey market sites. Usually it is 20-25% off brand new games, with a few select games getting extra discounts to around 30-35% off at launch (I think Thief was one?).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I find this incredibly difficult to believe. And snap judgment from the CDPR moderator will look really poor if this turns out to be a misunderstanding.

Squishy3

Google bring back nothing.
In fact, it brought up the stolen Sniper Elite 3 keys where GMG is listed as one of the licensed resellers.

Mods story spawned from a very particular black hole, from where it was tugged into the light.
He might be referring to a time where GMG ran out of COD Ghosts keys, then when new ones arrived, they wouldn't redeem on Steam, and GMG said it was a Steam problem, and Steam referred people to GMG. Took a couple of days for that to get sorted out, IIRC. Even then it just sounds like something went wrong somewhere between all 3 companies. (Valve, Activision, GMG) and that's why it took so long to resolve.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

They had some good sales for a while, but Ed Boon never really spoke out about GMG's $45 MKX. I assumed they were always legit. Twice is nothing compared to how well they do business, but once is just enough for a bad reputation/or banning.

I bought from GOG and PSN. I also got to wonder what's going on here. GMG is GS's competition in terms of PC distribution by the nth degree. I wonder if CDPR can't discuss this with GMG or GMG doesn't put an end to their practices. If I were GMG i'd be wanting to hit this launch just like they have before. Whose to say GMG is in the wrong or whose to say GMG is getting their reputation put on the line. I say that because they've been a legit service outside of Steam for amazing deals.

I'll say this too, when a Triple A game becomes a disaster and they saved you $15-$20 from being completely ripped off. GS had to change their ways. They know a game can come out and be completely horrible. I'm excited for The Witcher and I got the Expansion Pass off of PSN.

I'm shocked this has happened or it is even brought up. GMG has always been a legit outlet.

GOG has amazing compatibility to their games. They work great, but I had a horrible time with W2 GOG copy on Vista. I had to use Steam.

35% off sure sounds like a suspiciously unbelievable deal, but it's really not. 35% off the ridiculous ass "original price" of £50 merely brings it down to humane levels. £32.49 is actually pretty high up GMG's usual price range for pre-order deals.

If it was actually a ridiculously amazing deal, then the keys seemingly not being sourced from CDPR would most certainly be a reason for concern. But I'll give GMG the benefit of doubt on this one. They've a solid reputation and to my knowledge are yet to screw up. Let's see what they say.

Dr Dogg

Why is it taking GMG ages to respond?

Because it's 8:45 at night over here and they'll likely not have the capacity to investigate let alone communicate to relevant parties internally and externally until tomorrow morning.

wrowa

GMG is based in the UK, I think. It's 9pm over there, so the people there probably should be aware of it already. Who knows if they can clarify anything in the evening hours, though. I doubt that the people in Poland (GOG / CD Projekt) are working right now either.

Top Bottom