• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR keeping Witcher 3 keys for Origin, uPlay and GOG; tell GMG to go pound sand

gdt

Damn, I was just about to buy it from them. What the hell? I trust GMG so I'm gonna wait and see whats going on.

manfestival

I trust GMG, used them for a few games and have always gotten them on sale. I don't know what the big deal is all of a sudden

HowZatOZ

Banned
Talk about a knee jerk reaction before the facts are clear.

May I ask, do you always rush to jump to rash decisions before knowing the full picture?
How are the facts not any clearer then directly from CD Projekt themselves. You know, the developers? I would trust their response over anything GMG or anyone else says.

The funny thing is I haven't actually bought from GMG since Lords of the Fallen, so my choice to not buy has kind of been in effect already. Certainly I'll wait to hear more but you can't get any more clear than direct source.

Great, now GMG is selling stolen keys too. We already have enough trouble with G2A sponsorships muddying the waters.

I trust GMG, used them for a few games and have always gotten them on sale. I don't know what the big deal is all of a sudden

Oh I don't know, maybe the developer saying they aren't being paid for the product that's being sold.

gatti-man

How are the facts not any clearer then directly from CD Projekt themselves. You know, the developers? I would trust their response over anything GMG or anyone else says.

The funny thing is I haven't actually bought from GMG since Lords of the Fallen, so my choice to not buy has kind of been in effect already. Certainly I'll wait to hear more but you can't get any more clear than direct source.

Because cdpr hasn't been clear and a forum moderator doesn't have all the facts. They have said they don't know where they got them from at this point. That could mean a million things. I'm siding with GmG at this point since they got them from somewhere and most likely through a source they atleast thought was official. It's pretty weak to officially respond to this without talking to GMG first as well.

The Cowboy

GMG pricing has always been shady. This doesn't surprise me.

It doesn't surprise you that a legit store is being accused of selling dodgy keys?, people need to understand something - saying GMG is selling dodgy keys isn't like saying G2A is selling dodgy keys, its like saying Gamersgate, Direct2Drive or heck even Game/Gamestop (digital download keys) is selling dodgy keys - its flat out weird and a very serious allegation to make.

GMG is a completely legit authorised game key selling site, not some shady sell you whatever game keys they have at hand site.

If this is true, its very shocking - my money is on a G2A/GMG mix-up.

gatti-man

They are 100% not stolen keys lol. If anything, they're keys taken out of retail copies, which is a grey area but CDPR still recieves money for them.

Yeah that was a pretty bald faced lie. Shocking coming from cdpr.

Edit:unless they really are stolen in which case boom goes the dynamite on GmG.

Omikaru

My guess is Bamco or WB sold GMG the keys, and GMG wasn't aware these companies weren't authorised to do so. I think it's a situation of one of the publishers getting wires crossed here. Either that, or it's one of the retail publishers sneakily trying to cash in on digital sales they're not entitled to. But I can't see either publisher doing something that stupid intentionally. I mean, it's not like they wouldn't be found out eventually.

I'm reluctant to believe GMG are a shady key reseller. In fact I'm not even sure they'd sell retail keys if I'm honest with you. They've been legit for so long that it seems out of character for them to suddenly do this. But they do need to clarify where they got their keys from first thing tomorrow morning.

CDPR aren't exactly the masters of professional marketing, and GMG aren't exactly G2A, so presumption of innocence should take place here at least until the accused gets a chance to talk. It's night in Europe you know.

Dr Dogg

Bloody hell, I wouldn't want to be in court if some of you folks were on the jury. How about you wait until both parties have had their say before already coming to a verdict?

I also see Gamespot have taken no time in adding a second update to their article but not had the good graces of professional courtesy to appear to contact GMG in all of this.

Bloody hell, I wouldn't want to be in court if some of you folks were on the jury. How about you wait until both parties have had their say before already coming to a verdict?

I also see Gamespot have taken no time in adding a second update to their article but not had the good graces of professional courtesy to appear to contact GMG in all of this.

The developer is stating they haven't been paid for the keys. How is that a two sided story?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Because cdpr hasn't been clear and a forum moderator doesn't have all the facts. They have said they don't know where they got them from at this point. That could mean a million things. I'm siding with GmG at this point since they got them from somewhere and most likely through a source they atleast thought was official. It's pretty weak to officially respond to this without talking to GMG first as well.

CDPR aren't exactly the masters of professional marketing, and GMG aren't exactly G2A, so presumption of innocence should take place here at least until the accused gets a chance to talk. It's night in Europe you know.
Of course I'd definitely wait to see what GMG has to say and get further information out to understand where the keys came from. My initial reaction may have been a tad knee jerk, just came as such a shock from the initial claims.

Omikaru

The developer is stating they haven't been paid for the keys. How is that a two sided story?
While something shady is definitely going on, it doesn't immediately indicate GMG are in the wrong. Let's wait for them to tell us where they got the keys from and go from there. WB or Bamco could've sold them the keys, in which case it's hardly GMG's fault, but the publisher's.

Jumping to conclusions before we've had all the facts is pretty dumb, guys. At least give GMG time to defend themselves.

You don't know this. But the developer knows that they haven't been paid by GMG for the keys.

What about CDPR saying they don't get money from GMG sales don't you understand?

So how do you steal thousands of Witcher 3 keys?
Just curious

The most likely case is this.

CDPR is distributing all purely digital copies to retailers
They didn't distribute to GMG so they get no money directly
GMG takes keys out of retail copies and sells them
CDPR claims they get no money from GMG since they have no agreement with them

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I was thinking GMG would hand CDPR a check once the game ships or someone hands the money over. Your code isn't necessarily on hold anywhere until it unlocks. You're basically given a product when it comes out just like your game comes through the mail to GameStop or your house. They aren't individualizing them for the customers.

I'm thinking it was GMG that bought through a 3rd party distributor that CDPR isn't aware of at the moment. It's like me buying a game from a person who already paid for it. The developers didn't see the extra money the person made who didn't pay for it when it was purchased.

GameStop does the same thing with used games. They pay someone else who already paid full price and then they profit off of it because they didn't have to buy the game or they make money off selling their product again.

I agree with what's being said. I think GMG is just on the receiving end of customers and their business practices of who they buy through are being investigated at the moment.

MayMay

Banned
You don't know this. But the developer knows that they haven't been paid by GMG for the keys.

What about CDPR saying they don't get money from GMG sales don't you understand?

Is it this hard to understand?

They have not been paid by GMG, but that does not mean they have not been paid at all. GMG bought their keys/retail copies somewhere from someone that already paid CDPR (or their publisher).
GMG is not giving any money to them directly, but indirectly. Its like you buying something from Gamestop. Gamestop already paid CDPR (or the publisher) for you, you are simply paying Gamestop.

The keys are not stolen, anyone that thinks otherwise clearly does not know what he's talking about lol

Let's say GMG bought retail copies from Namco Bandai. How exactly would CD Projekt know about that?

^^^^

Dr Dogg

So where are GMG getting there keys? Why would a known and trusted reseller for various publishers suddenly break from the norm? What are these two incidents of selling fraudulent Steam keys a CDPR mod referred to? Plenty of questions that answers would clear things up.

boskee

People should calm their tits. We will most likely get a response tomorrow and GMG isn't exactly a shady outlet selling keys out of a sweat shop in a third world country. It's worth pointing out that GOG keys are included in every retail copy of the game (PC) so that's one possibility.

Gbraga

What I don't get is the "CDPR isn't getting any money for those sales" part, this can't really be true, can it? Even if those keys are stolen from somewhere, CDPR still got money when they were first sold to a legit place, didn't they?

Or do they get money every step of the way, like, store buys key, they get money, store sells key, they get money again?

I know GMG is a reseller, but are we sure the people they bought it from are shady?

All it says is they do not know who they sold the keys to. Does not mean stolen...

It is not like G2A where it was confirmed keys were never sold.

Grief.exe

What I don't get is the "CDPR isn't getting any money for those sales" part, this can't really be true, can it? Even if those keys are stolen from somewhere, CDPR still got money when they were first sold to a legit place, didn't they?

Or do they get money every step of the way, like, store buys key, they get money, store sells key, they get money again?

One way many of these key resellers operate is by stealing physical games or purchasing through stolen credit cards.

That is one explanation, but I doubt any of these apply to this situation.

Dsyndrome

Sucks that GMG's name is now shit for a bunch of people here now, apparently. This is why moderators on Official Forums shouldn't say things like "selling fraudulent" anything without backing it up and just shutting down a topic. That word becomes the gospel truth when no one can even point to an instance where GMG sold fraudulent keys.

Gbraga

One way many of these key resellers operate is by stealing physical games or purchasing through stolen credit cards.

Well, let's assume the worst case scenario, for the sake of arguing. Let's assume GMG employees went in guns blazing and stole a bunch of physical Witcher 3 copies from several stores.

Didn't CDPR already get their money? I can't see how that statement would be true, even in the worst possible case, that is extremely unlikely since it would destroy the company for one single game. Even a game that sells like Skyrim wouldn't be worth destroying your company over.

I can only assume a discount is why, they're usually the best around. They had a deal up 2 weeks ago for $38.

And $38 is still like $5~10 more than what I paid for Witcher 3 when I preordered it from Steam, because it's cheaper in Brazil. So it's not some absurdly low price or anything. Valve and CDPR are both clearly happy with me buying it for less than that.

pahamrick

Sucks that GMG's name is now shit for a bunch of people here now, apparently. This is why moderators on Official Forums shouldn't say things like "selling fraudulent" anything without backing it up and just shutting down a topic. That word becomes the gospel truth when no one can even point to an instance where GMG sold fraudulent keys.

GOG, and to a lesser extent, CDPR didn't have the best customer service when I contacted them for help, so that attitude from one of their moderators doesn't really surprise me.

Buburibon

So where are GMG getting there keys? Why would a known and trusted reseller for various publishers suddenly break from the norm? What are these two incidents of selling fraudulent Steam keys a CDPR mod referred to? Plenty of questions that answers would clear things up.

Indeed. Plenty of questions/claims and not enough evidence. In my opinion the intellectually honest conclusion at this time is that we simply do not know what is going on.

wrowa

I imagine that it's also generally rather difficult to steal keys or physical copies weeks before release. But I might be wrong about that.

Omikaru

It's true they get money at some point (unless the keys were literally stolen, in which case they can deactivate them once they realise which ones they are), but CDPR doesn't know where the keys are coming from, and as such can't tell where the money is coming from.

There's also the fact that a lot of shady key resellers sell keys from retail editions bought in poorer countries, so they can undercut the dev/pub's higher RRP in richer countries. I don't particularly want to get into the rights and wrongs of price discrimination like that, but CDPR probably get a lot less money from a Polish key than a key destined for the West, so if GMG is marking up Polish keys to closer to UK prices they are taking money away from CDPR.

That said, I reckon this is all a mix up. GMG need to clarify where they acquired the keys in the morning.

JakeD

well it's a pre-order, which means GMG doesn't even have the keys yet right? (unless, of course, they broke into CDPR like cat burglars)

BibiMaghoo

Can they not just buy a key and check what it was generated for? I'm sure a dev has done this in the past.

Edit: Lol it's not out so no.

Gbraga

It's true they get money at some point (unless the keys were literally stolen, in which case they can deactivate them once they realise which ones they are), but CDPR doesn't know where the keys are coming from, and as such can't tell where the money is coming from.

There's also the fact that a lot of shady key resellers sell keys from retail editions bought in poorer countries, so they can undercut the dev/pub's higher RRP in richer countries. I don't particularly want to get into the rights and wrongs of price discrimination like that, but CDPR probably get a lot less money from a Polish key than a key destined for the West, so if GMG is marking up Polish keys to closer to UK prices they are taking money away from CDPR.

That said, I reckon this is all a mix up. GMG need to clarify where they acquired the keys in the morning.

I see, but it's still not "CDPR isn't getting money from those keys". That's just drama.

Agreed. I can see it being publisher sold the keys but did not log it. Which that is an easy mix-up.

rockx4

This is weird, the game is still for preorder, does GOG\CDPR get paid for preorders? The game isn't even released yet, I doubt GMG has already paid for preorder keys. I've never purchased GOG preorders from GMG, but I've never received steam keys weeks before release.

The retail copy theory sounds likely. It would explain why GMG is always sometimes waiting until the day of release to distribute their keys.

Top Bottom