• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: "We don't see a place for microtransactions in single player games"

Draugoth

Gold Member
Although some companies have been adopting this model, it seems that CD Projekt is against the idea. When asked by the company's investors about the possibility of adding microtransactions to their future games, CFO Piotr Nielubowicz stated that there is no room for this in single-player games.

01.jpg

CD Projekt has proven this point several times in the past several times in the past, giving players several free items in The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, while only charging for major expansions that brought a lot of new content.

Recently we saw the case of Capcom, which added several microtransactions to the Dragon's Dogma 2, a purely single-player game. A Japanese company received a lot of criticism for its model.

Source

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Good on them. CP2077 was a bit off at launch (although my missus played through the PS4 version at launch on PS5 without much issue) but at least they stuck with it and made a banger of a game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
CDProjekt Red is incredibly talented studio but they dont get to take the high road anymore. They had possibly the scummiest AAA release of any game in modern history. Literally highway robbery built on years of lies leading up to CP2077. Fuck their claims of how "pro-consumer" they are
To their credit, they offered free refunds. Ea, Ubisoft and other studios releasing broken games don’t do that.

Everyone makes mistakes, is whetherOr not you own up to it is what defines you.

radewagon

Good. Microtransactions only make sense in free-to-play games. Everywhere else, it's just fleecing customers. Having a kid has made me hate them even more. Like, no, sorry kiddo, that content isn't actually available. It's locked behind a paywall and they're just showing it to you in-game because they are horrible people.

StereoVsn

To their credit, they offered free refunds. Ea, Ubisoft and other studios releasing broken games don’t do that.

Yeah, while we didn’t quite get the game they they pitched, it’s still pretty darn good for what it is and they have been patching it for years.

While CDPR pulled a fast one certainly, hopefully they have learned since.

CP2077 on PS4/Xbox One was much more broken than any EA or Ubisoft games at Launch, Its not even a debate. And correct me if I'm wrong, it was Sony that offered the refund to its users. Nothing to do with CDPR. I'm not even sure you could secure a refund on Xbox

Regardless, most people dont go through the hassle of requesting a refund. Shit can be a bitch. CDPR still made hand over fist money

Last edited:

EDMIX

CDProjekt Red is incredibly talented studio but they dont get to take the high road anymore. They had possibly the scummiest AAA release of any game in modern history. Literally highway robbery built on years of lies leading up to CP2077. Fuck their claims of how "pro-consumer" they are

Agreed.

I'm happy more and more are seeing this.

Its like, Idgaf. They love saying this stupid ass fake shit to act as if they are this wholesome company lol I've seen some fucked up releases before, but CP2077's release wasn't just bad based on broken, missing or buggy functions, it was bad because the company continued to lie about just how much was missing, just how incomplete the game was and then go on to spend YEARS updating the game to bring in those features.

For a fucking game that simply needed a ummm "day 1 patch" that is a lot of years to wait for them to finished a so called complete game.

This is the last fucking company anyone should be trusting regarding shit like this.

They started that DLC in 2019....as in they literally started working on ways to make money post launch vs fixing a game already missing a fuck ton of features, their focus was on fucking charging you MORE MONEY for the DLC they were making ,then fixing the broken game they knew was broken in 2019

Thats who this company is...talk is cheap, their actions show who they are.

SlimySnake SlimySnake "To their credit, they offered free refunds. Ea, Ubisoft and other studios releasing broken games don’t do that."

Nahhhhh, number 1, Best Buy, Wal Mart and many retailers FORCED them to as this similar to a recall. The retailer is not at fault, spent money on a product and will give refunds and will then charge CDPR. As in, you cannot lie about something like this and think Walmart or Best Buy or Sony or MS will foot the bill for you scamming people or something.

Sony, MS and more did those refunds.

Secondly, as someone that bought CP2077 day 1 as well as many EA and Ubisoft games day 1, I've never fucking played ANYTHING by EA or Ubisoft to the state of what CP2077 was at launch, that is a complete fucking lie. Nothing sir.

Even as bad as BF 2042 was at launch, it was not crashing dozens of times bad, laundry list of features lied about bad or anything of the sort and EA didn't just charge you all this money for those maps, they provided those maps completely for free. Nothing Ubisoft has put out was ever near some horrid state of YEARS GOING BY of fucking AI missing driving cars.

What Watchdogs or Far Cry game or anything like that have you ever seen where the cops or ai didn't drive after in a car, but they updated 3 years post launch or something?

Even as bad as many of their games are in anyones opinion, they've never been massively non functional bad or missing basic features bad.

Watchdogs 3 isn't the best game on Earth folks, but it also released working and with core basic functions one expects in a fucking video game, day 1 on ALL platforms. So CDPR is a level below almost ever major developer in this regard regarding AAA titles as we don't even have a close second to this.

Even Starfield people tried to make sound like....maaaaaaybeeee but what did they lie about? The core functions of what they promised, exist in the game. CP2077 is alone in this one man, we can't just pretend as if something like this was normal with any EA or Ubisoft release or any major publisher for that matter.

Provide the proof. Give us the evidence of any major title by em.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
CP2077 on PS4/Xbox One was much more broken than any EA or Ubisoft games at Launch, Its not even a debate. And correct me if I'm wrong, it was Sony that offered the refund to its users. Nothing to do with CDPR. I'm not even sure you could secure a refund on Xbox

Regardless, most people dont go through the hassle of requesting a refund. Shit can be a bitch. CDPR still made hand over fist money
Sony took the game off the store after cdpr offered refunds to anyone who wanted them. that pissed off sony because sony doesnt allow refunds on anything that has been downloaded, or rather started downloading, let alone played. xbox and pc players had no problems getting refunds because their policies are way better than sonys.

EDMIX

Sony took the game off the store after cdpr offered refunds to anyone who wanted them. that pissed off sony because sony doesnt allow refunds on anything that has been downloaded,

nahh

That pissed off Sony cause the game they released had issues and now their customer service team is flooded based on calls. This would be no different then Wal-Mart, Best Buy or any retailer having RTV or return to vendor based on a fucking up the company did.

Sony, MS, Steam ,Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc have no ode to have their workers do over time and foot the bill for a companies fuck up.

Maybe don't lie to people about some early access game. The issue here has nothing to do with either stores refund policy, it had to do with a company lying about games current state to the point of being sued over it.

EDMIX

People here won't like to hear this but you'd get more big budget SP games if MTX were embraced by gamers.
Look at it like this....people here don't want to here this, but if they embraced actually paying the real cost up front, we'd get more bigger budget SP games.

Games should have never even been $60 for as long as they were, that is even why we started to see that raise in MTX and DLC etc.

Developers feel they can't make enough money and any fucking game now can make or break it for them, oh but them online games make a fuck ton, thus the focus goes there.

$69.99 likely saved a lot of developers that may have went under if it just stayed $60.

So I'd like to see a generational raise. 79.99, 89.99, 99.99 etc.

That is just and fair every generation btw as many of us can just buy it used later, it keeps up with inflation and demand, industry continues to make money any thing anyone doesn't like they can just skip or buy used. MTX or DLC didn't just get here by accident. That extra generation with no raise in prices, cost gamers more then they realize. It makes zero sense for a developer to get paid the same thing from 2006 to 2020, their bills did not fucking stay the same folks, the world did not just stay frozen (opened up for a Let It Go reference) and all while we are asking for more and more demanding games. No one should be shocked at the raise of DLC and MTX

Even this very fucking company is putting out DLC to make money lol

You will see this continue so long as gamers wish to avoid paying more per game, you'll just see more MTX and DLC to make up that difference.

Guilty_AI

Look at it like this....people here don't want to here this, but if they embraced actually paying the real cost up front, we'd get more bigger budget SP games.

Games should have never even been $60 for as long as they were, that is even why we started to see that raise in MTX and DLC etc.

Developers feel they can't make enough money and any fucking game now can make or break it for them, oh but them online games make a fuck ton, thus the focus goes there.

$69.99 likely saved a lot of developers that may have went under if it just stayed $60.

That is just and fair every generation btw as many of us can just buy it used later, it keeps up with inflation and demand, industry continues to make money any thing anyone doesn't like they can just skip or buy used. MTX or DLC didn't just get here by accident. That extra generation with no raise in prices, cost gamers more then they realize. It makes zero sense for a developer to get paid the same thing from 2006 to 2020, their bills did not fucking stay the same folks, the world did not just stay frozen (opened up for a Let It Go reference) and all while we are asking for more and more demanding games. No one should be shocked at the raise of DLC and MTX

You will see this continue so long as gamers wish to avoid paying more per game, you'll just see more MTX and DLC to make up that difference.
Then people begin buying less games less frequently, changing nothing or making things worse 🤷‍♂️

Goalus

Sony took the game off the store after cdpr offered refunds to anyone who wanted them. that pissed off sony because sony doesnt allow refunds on anything that has been downloaded, or rather started downloading, let alone played. xbox and pc players had no problems getting refunds because their policies are way better than sonys.
Sony is unable to implement a refund system in their store. That's why they took the game off the store after getting exposed by CDPR.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I agree. But if we are talking about story mode expansions and side quests …. then, yes…. Give me lots of those for single player games I love.

EDMIX

Then people begin buying less games less frequently, changing nothing or making things worse 🤷‍♂️

Wouldn't matter tbh. Those buying less will just be replaced by those buying and paying more restoring some balance. Plus I don't doubt that they'd just buy used, no one NEEEEEDS to buy day 1, its silly.

If someone believes the game is worth the price, they'll pay. We've had literally record game sales to show that price is just way too fucking low and that clearly people do not have any issues paying for games. So i think it will change something as more money can solidify the future of the industry.

I don't see anything here that suggest going this same course is beneficial as cheap ass games is what fucking even got us here in the first place. You need to raise the price and if some buy less DAY 1, then so fucking be it.

It means the price made sense for you to second guess and actually REALLY only spend on what you actually really want and value and you can still btw buy it cheaper on sale anyway, I don't think anyone here is avoiding fucking game for years or for life, based on how much it cost day 1

Its an exaggeration and makes no sense. We cannot keep the price of games at this exact thing and then act shocked when you fucking see that deep investment in GaaS, Online shit, DLC, MTX etc. Where the fuck did you think they were going to get that money from? Even ths fake ass wannbe wholesome company needs to change their PR bullshit to say they are against MTX in single player games, yet not say "DLC" cause they need it.

Watch us find out they are only saying this cause they have a multiplayer game that has MTX lol Be like "woooow omg, we said single player games its not good bro, but MP, its ok to be greedy" lol

I mean, what did you think their fucking plan was for that online portion of CP2077? Oh to not charge anything extra? yea.....like they did with the single player game ooorrrrr? =)

Guilty_AI

Wouldn't matter tbh. Those buying less will just be replaced by those buying and paying more restoring some balance. Plus I don't doubt that they'd just buy used, no one NEEEEEDS to buy day 1, its silly.

If someone believes the game is worth the price, they'll pay. We've had literally record game sales to show that price is just way too fucking low and that clearly people do not have any issues paying for games. So i think it will change something as more money can solidify the future of the industry.

I don't see anything here that suggest going this same course is beneficial as cheap ass games is what fucking even got us here in the first place. You need to raise the price and if some buy less DAY 1, then so fucking be it.

It means the price made sense for you to second guess and actually REALLY only spend on what you actually really want and value and you can still btw buy it cheaper on sale anyway, I don't think anyone here is avoiding fucking game for years or for life, based on how much it cost day 1

Its an exaggeration and makes no sense. We cannot keep the price of games at this exact thing and then act shocked when you fucking see that deep investment in GaaS, Online shit, DLC, MTX etc. Where the fuck did you think they were going to get that money from? Even ths fake ass wannbe wholesome company needs to change their PR bullshit to say they are against MTX in single player games, yet not say "DLC" cause they need it.

Watch us find out they are only saying this cause they have a multiplayer game that has MTX lol Be like "woooow omg, we said single player games its not good bro, but MP, its ok to be greedy" lol

I mean, what did you think their fucking plan was for that online portion of CP2077? Oh to not charge anything extra? yea.....like they did with the single player game ooorrrrr? =)
Leading players to buy used or discounted games just demonstrates my point. People willing to wait a few months for sales are willing to wait a year or more since their hype died down by then. And used games? Used games make no money to publishers. What do you think they prefer, 2 people paying $60 on launch, or one person paying $90 while another buys an used copy afterwards?

Also, i think you're misunderstanding the crucial issue revolving AAA games. It isn't about them not making enough money, its about the uncertainty of their release. They're not sure whether a Baldurs Gate 3 or an Immortals of Aveum will come out 6 years later after putting down 100 million dollars for development, or if it'll even come out at all. Do you think charging IoA with higher prices would've saved it from flopping? No, it wouldn't, because almost no one was interested in it to begin with, it would just chase away even more players who bought it on a whim.

In boards like these, i think you all often forget the nature of this industry. Its entertainment, a mildly cheap hobby, a form of distraction and escapism. People are very whimsical when it comes to entertainment. I've seen individuals buy entire consoles to play one specific game, only to give it up after trying 5 minutes of the demo. Meanwhile there are people who buy full priced games just because their friends are playing it.

Don't think your game is some incredible piece of art players are ready to throw money at given the opportunity, all of a sudden they might just put it aside to play Early Access Palword instead.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Alejandro Jodorowsky Fun GIF by Endless Poetry

Please let us have some games not built around that principle. I have zero issue with pure cosmetics, but most can't help themselves but create a grind for something so that they can sell a game based currency to overcome it. Which is the worst IMO.

Freeman76

I dont think you have the first idea of how things work in the real world, typical armchair business knowledge.

Bojji

nahh

That pissed off Sony cause the game they released had issues and now their customer service team is flooded based on calls. This would be no different then Wal-Mart, Best Buy or any retailer having RTV or return to vendor based on a fucking up the company did.

Sony, MS, Steam ,Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc have no ode to have their workers do over time and foot the bill for a companies fuck up.

Maybe don't lie to people about some early access game. The issue here has nothing to do with either stores refund policy, it had to do with a company lying about games current state to the point of being sued over it.

Hahaha, no. Sony don't have any problem with broken games, they allowed shit ton of them to release and I personally don't know about any game other than CP that was pulled from the store for reasons other than licensing etc. So any other reason for this? CDPR started talking about refunds and Sony don't allow this shit, that's why they pulled it to punish CDPR.

Biggest player in console space still have shit/non existent refunding system but fanboys don't care.

Saber

Gold Member
Thank godness for that.

Indeed. They deserved being criticized 100%, but they didn't hide their head in the sand. They took all the blame, propsed to fix all their mistakes and offered a full refund to anyone dissatisfied, fucking even Sony and their retard refund policies.

Most of devs nowadays go say either "make games is hard, poor us", "gamers are to blame, you guys are toxic and dunno how to make games", "don't expect to have what you paid for", "everybody is ungrateful","didn't have time", and so on.

Last edited:

It was also CDPR. I bought CP2077 on launch on disk. Run it on my PS4 Pro and it was for me unplayable with lots of texture streaming issues and performence issues. I could go into the shop I bought game even if I lost my receipt and return it no problem and if they gave me a problem I could return my disk directly to CDPR and they would refund me my money, not the shop. At least that's how they behaved in Poland. So they took responsibility 100% for their fuck ups. I have no issues there. What they did was scummy but honestly they behaved as they should, at least for me.

Now a few years later I still haven't have played it. I'm building a PC. When I will finish, I will buy ultimate patched edition with DLC. At least that's the plan for it to be my first PC game well on my new PC.

They lost a good faith I had for them though, I will wait for reviews when their next game drops. See what's what. And that's that.

Last edited:

SCB3

Nope nor should they launch as a mess, both are true, like I'm not offended or anything by SP mtx, but they shouldn't be there at all

You said it yourself. "Many of us can just buy it used later."

So what you're saying is, you want the prices to keep increasing, but you'll only buy those games after a few years when the price has come down massively. Imagine if everyone did the exact same thing? The gaming industry would just fold completely.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Yeah CDPR's opinions about what is proper in games has lost all its weight after the CP2077 launch.
I remember their "We leave greed to others"-talk and then BAM, they release the game in that state.
With Witcher 3 being in my top 3 of all time, I hope Witcher 4 will earn a spot up there as well.

Agree 100%. Good on them. CP2077 was a bit off at launch (although my missus played through the PS4 version at launch on PS5 without much issue) but at least they stuck with it and made a banger of a game.
“A bit” off? Come on. It was so bad it was literally de-listed by Sony.

It was also CDPR. I bought CP2077 on launch on disk. Run it on my PS4 Pro and it was for me unplayable with lots of texture streaming issues and performence issues. I could go into the shop I bought game even if I lost my receipt and return it no problem and if they gave me a problem I could return my disk directly to CDPR and they would refund me my money, not the shop. At least that's how they behaved in Poland. So they took responsibility 100% for their fuck ups. I have no issues there. What they did was scummy but honestly they behaved as they should, at least for me.
They took 100% of the responsibility after they grifted millions of gamers. They knew what they were doing as a company. It's not like they didn't know the game was in an unplayable state on consoles. It would be like if someone robs you for 5000$ and then decides to apologize and gives you 300 in return. Anything with CDPR saying they are pro-consumer should land on deaf ears

I'm saying this as a massive fan of theirs. CP2077 in 2024 is a 10/10 game. Really excited for The Witcher 4

Bojji

They took 100% of the responsibility after they grifted millions of gamers. They knew what they were doing as a company. It's not like they didn't know the game was in an unplayable state on consoles. It would be like if someone robs you for 5000$ and then decides to apologize and gives you 300 in return. Anything with CDPR saying they are pro-consumer should land on deaf ears

I'm saying this as a massive fan of theirs. CP2077 in 2024 is a 10/10 game. Really excited for The Witcher 4

WTF? They refunded what you paid fot the game so you got 100% back. Most publishers with their own stores and console manufactures don't allow this even if games are in complete dogshit state at launch.

I bought at launch and watched the missus play it on PS5 and apart from some things like seeing 5 people all look the same in the one area or some cars go flying randomly it was fine 🤷🏼‍♂️

And PC version was absolutely playable, it wasn't as bad as some people suggest on all machines.

Last edited:
Really excited for The Witcher 4
Me too, man, me too.

But after their Cyberpunk launch fiaso. I will honestly just wait for reviews, comparisons etc.

I am a fan of theirs also but I got reminded that companies are not your friends. So they've lost a bit of good I had for them. So Witcher 4 won't be a blind buy from me, like CP was. That's all.

Guilty_AI

Me too, man, me too.

But after their Cyberpunk launch fiaso. I will honestly just wait for reviews, comparisons etc.

I am a fan of theirs also but I got reminded that companies are not your friends. So they've lost a bit of good I had for them. So Witcher 4 won't be a blind buy from me, like CP was. That's all.
Dude, whoever "lost trust" in CDPR due to the Cyberpunk launch hasn't done their history lesson.

Always amazes me how people look back to The Witcher 3 with rose-tinted glasses while crapping on Cyberpunk. The two games were similar in so many levels in terms of polish and execution.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You could absolutely refund on xbox.

CDPR refunded my ps4 disc copy by sending me the exact amount I paid (taxes included) via paypal and didn't ask for my disc back.

Sony was the one refusing digital refunds initially.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This company has a unique and positive work culture that feels more like a gaming community than a traditional corporate environment.

I mean MTX are practically printing money. Any business suit would tell you that in a publisher's meeting. Easy money. Yet, here they are with this statement.

I love CDPR. They didn’t handle CP77 situation right but I forgive them.

Top Bottom