• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's CEO on Cyberpunk 2077's release date, The Witcher 3.

varkuriru

Man an expanded Act 3 with more depth to the villains and maybe more things from the books - such as non-stuffed unicorns would be so awesome.

I'm happy with this. With over 100 hours of Witcher 3 I've taken a break but as soon as the new dlc comes out, I'll buy it along with the previous paid expansion and get right in. I'd be down for more Witcher 3 content on the side whilst they work on Cyberpunk. Take your sweet sweet time CDPR. You have my money for whenever you release your stuff! :)

I would totally buy more Witcher 3 DLC

It's sad that they are probably right about this

Yea this industry is run by marketing it's crazy, throw big numbers around and suddenly everyone is impressed. Budget somehow seems to make people think it's quality, it's really the only difference between indies and AAA nowadays and while it's not entirely wrong, indies can never really have the same scope as some of the bigger AAA games it should necessarily be part of the decision making when deciding on a game.

But hey Destiny and Activision proudly proclaim they have a $500 million budget so that means it has to be amazing right? lol

Given the scale of the game? Yeah, it's pretty low. Like Kicinski said, some western games also have a budget of 300 but USD, not PLN.

Yeah making games in Poland is cheaper, that's not the argument. I'm just arguing why he said they'd be afraid to reveal the budget because they themselves kept publishing it since 2013 with far lower figures. Seemed like they were proud of being able to make big games cheaper than the West.

from what he said here the budget with marketing is around 300m PLN which is about $75m. When you subtract the marketing from it than the overall game buget seems kinda modest unless the marketing budget was relatively low.

306m Zloty was ~81m $ back in September when they published the numbers

CHC

I'm assuming Cybrepunk is in 2017, based on what he has said. If next year is going to "continue to be about the Witcher" but they "have a date planned" then it can't be THAT far out. Not to mention they have been working on it for years already - that teaser trailer was from like 2012 after all.

Hayvic

While unlikely we'll get another expansion after blood and wine, I would love to see one set on (spoiler for main quest)
The alien jungle world you briefly visit while trying to get to one of Eredin's luitenants.
Maybe for Witcher 4.

RDreamer

May/June - Blood & Wine
August/September - Gwent Standalone
November/December - The Witcher 3 Complete Edition

2017 = Year of Cyberpunk

This would probably be the best plan for them. It'd also probably make them a shit-ton. A gwent standalone would kill.... especially if they put free to play sort of elements into it.

But yeah I could definitely see them making a complete edition for the holidays. Maybe they make a few more quests or something to throw in and give that away to fans, too, much like their old enhanced editions.

DOWN

Banned
The pulp fantasy shtick felt low budget and indie. The game had great NPC models that repeated way too much so I look forward to what a bigger budget does for that. Thank god Cyberpunk will be light on the foliage textures.

I hope there is an enhanced version of the Witcher 3 because of how rough it gets on PS4. I'd like to give the expansions a try but I can't handle it with the current W3 presentation.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I know we are on a business TV, so I am going to use the word "Client", however internally we don't use such nomenclature. They are gamers to us. We are trying to quickly fix any wrongs/problems and want players to talk to us as equals. And that's how we really look at things - I'm not saying it just because I'm in TV. We don't want to exploit gamers for their money (which is what many other gaming companies do) and that's why we don't want to become a part of a larger structure.

And this is why the deserve all the praise they are getting. They have demonstrated they don't want to milk us of money, and they have delivered content that is worth in full, and then some.
Don't ever lose sight of this moment, CDPR. You are one of the few left that are like this.

To me it seems they are mostly talking about marketing. They might do some stuff to accompany that, i doubt there'll be another big expansion though.

Maybe a bit of free DLC or a Gwent app or somethin like that.

Duuuuude. I never realized how much I wanted a gwent app before.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
CDPR's rise in the last few years reminds me of FROM Software's rise into a powerhouse developer. I love it.

Altairre

The pulp fantasy shtick felt low budget and indie. The game had great NPC models that repeated way too much so I look forward to what a bigger budget does for that. Thank god Cyberpunk will be light on the foliage textures.

I hope there is an enhanced version of the Witcher 3 because of how rough it gets on PS4. I'd like to give the expansions a try but I can't handle it with the current W3 presentation.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
CDPR's rise in the last few years reminds me of FROM Software's rise into a powerhouse developer. I love it.

It's pretty amazing how far they have come, no? And also with a fantastic attitude. I'm sorta hoping 4A Games will develop in the same direction, they've stated their intentions to increase the scope of their next Metro game. Here's hoping they can grow that franchise in the same vein as the Witcher series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CDPR's rise to fame is so sobering. Mostly because of how slow yet consistent it has been.

2007: Here's our first game, The Witcher!
2008: We went back and made The Witcher even better, here it is again!
2011: Guess what, we made a sequel!
2012: Like our first game we've gone and made it better! Also, now Xbox players can enjoy it!
2015: Number 3, and it's open world! Everyone can play!*

*unless you're nintendo exclusive but you should know better by now

When you look back, it was a 4 year wait between each of the mainline titles. No rushing or churning shit out. It took almost a decade, but here we are with Wild Hunt.

Keasar

CDPR's rise to fame is so sobering. Mostly because of how slow yet consistent it has been.

2007: Here's our first game, The Witcher!
2008: We went back and made The Witcher even better, here it is again!
2011: Guess what, we made a sequel!
2012: Like our first game we've gone and made it better! Also, now Xbox players can enjoy it!

When you look back, it was a 4 year wait between each of the mainline titles. No rushing or churning shit out. It took almost a decade, but here we are with Wild Hunt.

Their handling of their games is one of the reasons I adore them so much. It so far feels they have much more respect to their own creations and their players than anyone else out there.

As long as current gen does not gimp it, I am all down for a far away release. Let this game be next gen only IMO. Make our faces melt CDPR.

I seriously doubt that they'd wait for next generation of consoles, especially since they've just finished their engine. I'm betting on 2017.

Wagram

I wouldn't be opposed to more Witcher 3 expansions. Hearts of Stone was top-notch.

Still waiting on my standalone Gwent game.

ricki42

Or Mac or Linux, where you might actually expect the game since Witcher 2 is there. They quietly dropped support for 2 platforms. I know the Mac and Linux versions of Witcher 2 were late, but I haven't heard anything official about Witcher 3 on Mac or Linux.

We didn't want to publish the budget of The Witcher 3 in case western players got scared thinking it's a low budget game.

This line sounds like they were charging too much for the game. Hardcore crowd wouldn't think it was a low budget game of no concern, they would question $60 retail price.

The other comments make it sound like the info from Gamereactor Germany was false and this game is not to be expected until at least 2017.

Savitar

More?!

This I like!

I can wait, it's actually nice to have a company take time to put work into a game instead of pumping them out every year.

matmanx1

Having just finished "Return to Crookback Bog" last night and seeing how that quest ended up
Anna dead, the Baron hung himself
and the weight of my decisions as Geralt as it related to those characters I can safely say that The Witcher 3 is one of the most impressive RPG's that I have ever played.

I'm only level 12 and only 20 or so hours in but man, what an accomplishment this game is and I am in no hurry to finish it.

I continue to wish CDProjeckt Red ALL the success in the world, whether it is with the Witcher or with Cyperpunk.

Hayvic

Having just finished "Return to Crookback Bog" last night and seeing how that quest ended up
Anna dead, the Baron hung himself
and the weight of my decisions as Geralt as it related to those characters I can safely say that The Witcher 3 is one of the most impressive RPG's that I have ever played.

I'm only level 12 and only 20 or so hours in but man, what an accomplishment this game is and I am in no hurry to finish it.

I continue to wish CDProjeckt Red ALL the success in the world, whether it is with the Witcher or with Cyperpunk.

In my run
both survived,
so I understand why you feel the weight ;)
Though I am resposible for the death of the orphans :p

erawsd

I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning on re-releasing it as a 'complete edition' with all DLC bundled in down the line.

Didn't rumours suggest it still cost about $75 million though? Is that not roughly equivalent to most AAA games nowadays?!

That 75 million includes the marketing budget. In contrast, Ubisoft spent 69 million just to develop Watchdogs.

Lady Gaia

Sounds like Cyberpunk is coming 2019 earliest.

I sincerely doubt that they've already picked out a specific date and it's that far away. If anything, I'd say the fact that they say they have a target date internally suggests holiday 2017 at the very latest. Not that it couldn't still slip into 2018. Or be a surprise late-2016 title, though I doubt that very much.

Enhanced edition with better triss arc, and maybe they add the characters that are missing from TW2 (even if other media has that covered). Maybe even imporve in other cool things.

And of course, free for everyone that has the game.

Take your time CDPR, no need to rush, you are amazing.

Maybe they'll spend the next year making up for giving Triss the short end of the stick.

Reallisticly, it was going to happen.
Yeneffer is the canon choice becuase of the books, once she appeared in TW2 custcene it was game over for her (as much as the player tries to stay with her).

Triss was basically a Yenneffer clone in the witcher 1. She changed a lot between games. Now she is the fun gal, but her story is developed sloppily becuase her character art is all over the placed once Geralt remembered everything.

Stop buying W3 so i can play Cyberpunk earlier!!

Witcher series isn't for me personally as find it boring and Geralt himsef a bore to play as, But if it is selling well then fair to them for milking it as much as possible.

Denton

Maybe they'll spend the next year making up for giving Triss the short end of the stick.

This kinda pisses me off. Not only did they already add some dialogue to flesh her out further, but the redhead had two more god damn games than Yen, and Yen is infinitely more important character. If they should make up for someone, it's Yennefer and Ciri.

This kinda pisses me off. Not only did they already add some dialogue to flesh her out further, but the redhead had two more god damn games than Yen, and Yen is infinitely more important character. If they should make up for someone, it's Yennefer and Ciri.

Did they already do that? Thought they were going to leave it for an enhanced edition or something.

Im with you on the rest.

Does this mean there will be more Witcher 3 expansions after Blood and Wine or something?

Probably an Enhanced Edition with DLC included

deservedly. In the grand scheme of things she's much less important than Yen and the whole sister relationship people wanted form her and Ciri she threw overboard long ago.

Denton

Did they already do that? Thought they were going to leave it for an enhanced edition or something.

Im with you on the rest.

Yeah there was some added dialogue in one of the patches. Havent seen it myself since I finished my first playthrough before it came out (and of course went with Yennefer anyway).

Pro

You gotta love how open and honest they always sound. Just tell it like it is. I bet a lot of companies would be jumping at the chance to promote their next title but CDPR is like "Yo Witcher 3 is still selling well and we're gonna ride that train. Duh."

I know we are on a business TV, so I am going to use the word "Client", however internally we don't use such nomenclature. They are gamers to us. We are trying to quickly fix any wrongs/problems and want players to talk to us as equals. And that's how we really look at things - I'm not saying it just because I'm in TV. We don't want to exploit gamers for their money (which is what many other gaming companies do) and that's why we don't want to become a part of a larger structure.

In an era of EA "Let's see how much we can get away with using a popular licence", this is downright refreshing to hear.

Top Bottom