• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

SerTapTap

Interesting, I always figured Dolphin was only "ahead of the curve" because of the similarity to Gamecube and that emulation would start taking ages to get working for new stuff. I know it's nowhere close to Dolphin yet, but if I can play Pikmin 3 in 4K in 5 years that'd be neat. Mario Kart too, though I'd be iffy on playing that with emulator timings.

If you want to go down that road, would you be willing to take a permaban for calling out somewhere who a) owns a Wii U b) has other proof that it is not illegal (in the legislation the user is posting from)?

Why? Because I opened this thread, about a Wii U Emulator, to see if anyone was posting about how the hell you even rip whatever weirdo disk format the Wii U is, because I like to rip my own games when possible for backup/etc. Did it for my Wii last year.

Instead I see multiple pages about this tired argument that, while potentially valid in and of itself, has no direct connection with the actual topic of the thread.

Minsc

Gold Member
The point is that emulation/CFW threads are not the place to talk piracy arguments. We actually have big PS3 CFW thread titled "PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere".

If you want to talk about the link between CFW/emulation and piracy just make a thread about it, no need derail this thread.

This is definitely in line with the way this thread will go forward. While a little side discussion if appropriate may come up from time to time, the focus of posts (and in other threads about emulation) should be about the emulator not the morality of emulation or pointing out there are people who use emulators for piracy. Those discussions are better suited in threads focusing on those issues.

If a member is using emulation as piracy, that's a quick one way ticket out of here, but best to pm a mod and let them decide that than make a accusations in the thread (in case you're mistaken).

Minsc

Gold Member
Probably just bad timing NOLA_Gaffer, but let's drop the side discussion.

Also this thread is pretty old so I'm moving it to community, if a new build is released with major updates, it's best in its own thread anyway. People who want to keep tabs on the emulator or discuss it further can subscribe to this thread in community however.

Edit: Really guys, on topic posts please.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
At least delete the awful post too!

On topic, I'm interested in seeing how this would operate Bayonetta 1 in a year or two considering the pace this is developing at. It'd be nice to play the game at a stable 60 FPS for once since I'm replaying Bayo 1 on the Wii U atm and the drops tend to be less than helpful in terms of dodging, but this would improve The Wonderful 101 dramatically with the Vorken fights as well.

On topic, I'm interested in seeing how this would operate Bayonetta 1 in a year or two considering the pace this is developing at. It'd be nice to play the game at a stable 60 FPS for once since I'm replaying Bayo 1 on the Wii U atm and the drops tend to be less than helpful in terms of dodging, but this would improve The Wonderful 101 dramatically with the Vorken fights as well.

That's actually a really interesting situation. We're getting emulators for all three platforms that Bayonetta is on. Should be fun to see which one the three is getting there first, because I doubt that any of the developers are targeting that game specifically.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I don't expect fully viable playthrough of complex 3D games that ALSO provide performance improvements any time soon.

artsi

New version (1.3.1) is available.

• Added fullscreen support
  • Added support for running extracted applications (.rpx with external files)
  • Added support for launching games via command line parameter
  • Vastly improved graphics
  • Improved accuracy and stability of filesystem code
  • Many smaller changes to various parts of the emulator
  • Detailed changelog

PGamer

fucking juniors
Cemu 1.3.1 game updates:

- Mario Kart 8
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Pikmin 3
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge
- Super Mario 3D World (1)
- Super Mario 3D World (2)
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Xenoblade Chronicles X

Also this thread is pretty old so I'm moving it to community, if a new build is released with major updates, it's best in its own thread anyway. People who want to keep tabs on the emulator or discuss it further can subscribe to this thread in community however.

It's probably worth noting that this isn't consistent with most of the other emulator threads here. Putting it in community will really cut down on the drive by posts but on the other hand less people will see the update posts as well. We are probably still quite a ways off from a major release.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's probably worth noting that this isn't consistent with most of the other emulator threads here. Putting it in community will really cut down on the drive by posts but on the other hand less people will see the update posts as well. We are probably still quite a ways off from a major release.

I'll try and look to see if there's others I can move to community as well. A persistent thread about an emulator shouldn't really be in gaming, unless it's new or something noteworthy happened (and a new thread is made).

PGamer

fucking juniors
Cemu 1.3.2 is now out.

Download: http://cemu.info/index.html#download

- Added multi-core support for CPU emulation (Disabled by default, not recommended at this stage)
- Added support for polygon offset (fixes some shadows and surface flicker)
- Optimized GPU cpu thread by offloading work to GPU (Improves performance in graphic intensive games)
- Added support for GX2 Occlusion Query API
- Improved support for texture samplers and fixed other texture issues
- Added debug option to view active PPC threads
- Fixed a crash that could occur when loading .rpx

Game updates:

- Mario Kart 8

Vuze

1.3.3 for Patreon supporters is out now. Changelog:
Code:
# CEMU detailed changelog for 1.3.3
# Release date: 2016-03-02

general: Can now hold TAB to show GamePad screen (Note: We will add customizable methods to display the GamePad screen in a future release) 

swkbd: Added preliminary support for Software Keyboard (only alphanumeric input is allowed for now, unicode support is still being worked on)

coreinit: Added implementation for some functions of the block heap API
         (New API: MEMInitBlockHeap, MEMAddBlockHeapTracking, MEMGetTrackingLeftInBlockHeap, MEMAllocFromBlockHeapEx)
coreinit: Fixed a bug where PPC thread priority would sometimes not update correctly

save: Fixed a crash that could happen in SAVEOpenDir()

vpad: Improved implementation of VPADRead() fixing an issue where games incorrectly detected touch on/off.
vpad: Fixed touch offset calculation in fullscreen mode

GX2: Added initial support for Streamout
                Streamout is also known as 'Transform Feedback' in OpenGL. 
                This is a rather complex feature and our implementation is far from complete. More improvements to Streamout will come in later CEMU releases.
                In order to correctly replicate the low latency between CPU<->GPU enabled by the unified memory model of the Wii U we have to emulate Streamout shaders on the CPU rather
                than using OpenGL's transform feedback. Despite this we expect that there is no performance penalty.
GX2: Implemented GX2RCreateSurface API
GX2: Proper support for texture format R32_G32_B32_A32_FLOAT and R32_G32_B32_A32_UINT
GX2: Fixed a crash in GX2CopySurface which could occur when the caller supplied a wrong surface->pitch value.
GX2: GX2CopySurface can now copy dynamically created textures that only reside in the GPU texture cache.

Xeno X now can actually load into the game, though 3D visuals just appear for splitseconds for the time being. Still cool progress!
yYBnaEJ.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What changes did they make in this update for such huge performance gains? Awesome work on the dev teams part.

Mivey

There's a recompiler now instead of just interpreter. Fun enough, still only uses one core.
Is there a lot of potential for using multiple cores? Depending on how the WiiU operates, it might not be very effective to parallelize. (Meaning more time is spent on synchronisation overhead than is gained by actually running stuff on mulitple threads.)

Absolutely incredible on how well it can already emulate relatively new games on relatively normal hardware.

Pokemaniac

Is there a lot of potential for using multiple cores? Depending on how the WiiU operates, it might not be very effective to parallelize. (Meaning more time is spent on synchronisation overhead than is gained by actually running stuff on mulitple threads.)

Absolutely incredible on how well it can already emulate relatively new games on relatively normal hardware.

The thing should be using at least 3 cores, since that's what the Wii U has.

One thing I'm noticing, the Audio does NOT seem to be synced with video... You're getting full speed audio with video that doesn't match up. This is likely to cause compatibility issues in and of itself.

The thing should be using at least 3 cores, since that's what the Wii U has.

The Sega Saturn is made up of a cavalcade of different processors, that doesn't mean it's got each core emulated on it's own. :)

Pokemaniac

One thing I'm noticing, the Audio does NOT seem to be synced with video... You're getting full speed audio with video that doesn't match up. This is likely to cause compatibility issues in and of itself.

The Sega Saturn is made up of a cavalcade of different processors, that doesn't mean it's got each core emulated on it's own. :)

I suppose it doesn't have to, but heavily parallel games are going to suffer if it doesn't.

Jesus, seeing how far this has come in less than half a year is amazing. Makes me want to figure out how to backup my Wii U games and check it out.

c0de

Because at the time when SSF was written, multicore wasn't a thing in desktop computers and apparently you didn't need it to get reasonable speeds.

Vuze

Looks like their Patreon just broke $1000 a month. Pretty big seeing as right up to 1.4.0, I believe it was <$250.
That's huge. I hope they actually get the money and it's not some douchebags who pledge, grab the emulator and unsubscribe for every version. But I assume the team has measures in place to avoid this.

I just dumped my MH3U save from the console yesterday in anticipation of the game booting up some time soon haha. It will be amazing to (hopefully) replay this at 60fps and downsampled resolution within a year or two.

Athreous

That's huge. I hope they actually get the money and it's not some douchebags who pledge, grab the emulator and unsubscribe for every version. But I assume the team has measures in place to avoid this.

I just dumped my MH3U save from the console yesterday in anticipation of the game booting up some time soon haha. It will be amazing to (hopefully) replay this at 60fps and downsampled resolution within a year or two.

SM3DW already runs at 60fps with some sound/shaders issues, but it's still playable till the end! =D

You should be playing MH3U by the end of the year, 60 fps, perfectly! =D

Top Bottom