• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chapter 4 from Uncharted The Lost Legacy (the open worldish area): love or hate?

Memento

Me: I loved it. It was one of the best chapters the series has ever had imo. It has all the best elements in the series combined together.

The puzzles were fun, the combat encounters were great, scenary was gorgeous and the banter was charming as always.

It is also a great change of pace from the more linear structure that most of the game follows and if you are not into exploration you can just rush through the towers.

Judging from the OT, people either loved it or hated it. So I would like to make this empirical research. So?

It might be the best chapter in the series.

It has tangible gameplay rewards for exploration. It's huge and fun to traverse. It's got excellent puzzles and combat sprinkled in. Its full of great dialogue and banter between Nadine and Chloe.

N7.Angel

Worst part of the game, Uncharted shines when it's linear and semi-open like the first 2 chapters or the last one...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It was really good.

Only thing I didn't like (really in the overall game) was the reliance on circle puzzles. Not enjoyable at all to me.

Wasn't a fan of it compared to everything else. Also went on a little longer than was fun in my experience. Halfway through I was itchy for a change in aesthetic at the very least.
Uncharted works best, in my view, with tight and contained instances. Not too hot on open worlds generally speaking so im pretty biased.

Morts

I enjoyed it but I wouldn't have wanted it any longer or a game to be made around it. It worked as part of Act 1.

Erudite

Got a chance to play through Chapter 4 in one sitting this weekend, and I loved it. Like you said OP, it was a nice change of pace from the usual Uncharted level design formula.

I really liked how organic
the side quest was introduced. You find the first few tokens like they're just other treasure you might find, but eventually you discover they can be used for something. And unlike the similar chapter in UC4, taking the time to explore rewarded the player

LOVED it, best three hours of gaming all year. It was better than zelda, a lot more focused, unique puzzles and situations in every single tomb. It was the best chapter in the series and a glimpse of where this franchise could go.

Rodelero

It's absolutely superb and I hope Naughty Dog keep going in that direction. It should always be the minority of the game, but it's a wonderful change up and most certainly this chapter works a lot better than the Madagascar area in UC4 (which I liked, but not nearly as much as this).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Loved it. Thought it would be cynical padding at first, but the pacing is just as good as the rest of the game even though it's open world and mostly optional.

psychotron

Love it. Especially given the game acknowledges the order in which you do things. Tackle an area before another, and Chloe will make mention of it later on. It's fantastic.

Boke1879

I still have yet to finish the game, but I loved this part. I liked the little bit of exploration/puzzle solving and it offers plenty of combat opportunities. Loved it.

Auctopus

Super formulaic.

- Drive to waypoint. Climb/shoot. Get given story beat at the top of the tower that attempts to get you to empathise with the characters' backstories.

Repeat.

(It's not that bad just 'cause the production level is so high but I think it's a red flag for ND's clear desire to create an open-world game)

Alucrid

Banned
i really enjoyed it. felt compact enough where i wasn't exhausted running from place to place enough yet filled with enough things to do and explore that there were plenty of moments to feel like it was an open(ish) world.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
It was okay, but the game needs to amp up by adding stamina into the climbing mechanics. Make exploration a lot more fun.

Oneself

While I understand its appeal, it kinda kills the pacing and it's very not fun after the initial 5 minutes. It's just like driving to a mission in an open world game... aka you just want to get out of the car to enjoy the gameplay.

Lifeline

I liked it, but I liked the more traditional Uncharted sections more. I hope they stray away from these open world areas for their next games.

thegameplayloop

Neo Member
Like my opinion of the rest of the game. Somewhere in the middle. Production is high but there's not a huge amount that really stands out about it

Pass.

Solve those puzzles to unlock a useless trinket that helps you find other useless trinkets, that I eventually turned off because it was just an annoying sound interrupting the game.

At least all the spots were indicated on the map, so you didn't really waste a lot of time doing it.

Sande

I loved it.

It was a good choice to have that area mostly optional. Don't like that stuff? You can just keep pushing forward and it's pretty much business as usual for Uncharted. Although a lot of people forced themselves to grind through all that and complain anyway. Oh well.

CHC

I wouldn't say "hate" but it did it slow the pacing a bit below where I would have liked it to be. I also felt myself falling into that sort of typical trance-like "open world" rhythm that games like Assassin's Creed tend to lull me into, as well. Which, with Uncharted, I consider a bad thing.

Weakest part of the game for me.

This is also my opinion.

I prefer open worlds without vehicles (At least at first). Allows me to get my bearings and have more "Discovery moments", learn the land a little bit better. having the jeep to start it just turned into a Drive here do "A", now drive there do "B". Also I was really annoyed about having to pull up the map constantly to make sure I was driving the right way.

I don't mind doing Open World type stuff in Uncharted (Or maybe even TLoU) I would just prefer that it is presented and executed differently.

Liked the DLC as a whole, but really not a fan of this chapter in particular. It was the typical pace-breaking "go do 3 things before the story can progress" section, with ND clumsily doling out exposition only after completing each of the 3 objectives rather than revealing information consistently throughout the entire chapter.

ND still needs some practice at tackling the open world genre.

I liked it. It was neat discovering the various puzzles scattered around the world, and I appreciated the less hurried pace--in fact, I had the opposite issue from most people, it seems like, where I worried that eventually I wouldn't be able to roam freely and so tried to cram in as much treasure hunting and puzzle solving as I could. Still didn't mind taking the extra hour or so to collect all the tokens. It was also a good opportunity to throw in some (I think optional?) character moments.
The monkey bit was fantastic.
Helps accentuate the evolution of Chloe and Nadine's relationship over the course of the game.

Dice//

Banned
Naughty Dog + Open World =
10VoP6y.gif

Didn't think it worked (in Uncharted 4) personally, and was done much, much better in The Lost Legacy.

The jeep controls and driving feel was fantastic, and I loved the dialogue - including the whole auto-pause-resume thing they had going on there in case the dialogue was interrupted. Beautiful stuff.

BUT... It was basically sprinkled with these very tiny mini-engagements, with the only good ones being the first encounter and the last. The others were over before they started.

Exploration also didn't feel meaningful, outside of the story bits, like journal entries and old letters. The classic Uncharted gleams of random treasure felt out of place, irrelevant, or at least not nearly rewarding enough to justify murdering some Shoreline dudes and then setting off explosives, and neither did the occasional flintlock stashed in a corner.

TLL got this right with the animal token things you'd find, which when you completed the set unlocked something useful. Same with the lockboxes. It also had a much more interesting environment to just drive all over.

So yeah, all in all I thought of it as a failed experiment, but a worthwhile attempt, and something that truly came into its own in TLL.

EDIT: Sorry. Totally misread this and thought it was about Uncharted 4's open world area, not TLL. Still, the post is where I sit with it for both games.

I didn't like it and I didn't like Madagascar in Uncharted 4 either.

The problem I have is that it grinds my momentum to an absolute halt. Tight, linear, story-based progress just ceases completely in favor of a sandbox with very little forward movement. Chapter 4 (or is it chapter 6?) in Lost Legacy was easily over half my play time because I'm running around aimlessly trying to not miss anything.

But in exploring so many nooks and crannies trying not to miss something, I don't end up finding very much either. Lets say the map looks like this:

zWIvshn.jpg

Obviously this is just conceptual and not based on any actual map in the game. But in this case, the p is the player, the x is the confirmed destination, and all the o are possible points of interest.

The issue I have is that I can clearly see where I need to go and could easily reach that point quickly. But all around me there is robust environment that could be hiding something. Maybe a treasure, maybe a dialog sequence, maybe a new quest marker. So I will delay going to my actual objective in favor of meticulously combing over all the possible points of interest and will find.... nothing.

And this happens on both a micro and a macro level. I can't leave any area without exploring everything I can plainly see, which means I spend an extremely long time weaving in and out of structures looking for lockboxes and stuff. But there's not enough of it, so most of the time, I've broken the cinematic suspension of disbelief. The story goes on hold so I can waste time looking for things that aren't there. But if I don't do this at all, who knows what I might miss. Maybe I'll miss a joke, or a conversation, or a collectible, but the point is that I'm missing content I want to see.

I'll never forget spending, like, four hours in Madagascar in UC4 and still not being done and having virtually nothing to show for it. And when I finally proceeded out to the next chapter, my friend asked me if I heard the "well, well, well" joke. I spent all that time excruciatingly combing over purely aesthetic structures and paths and still missed content.

And that's how I feel when I play these big open chapters: like I'm looking in the wrong place. I always feel like I'm looking in the wrong place. And even if I only spend five seconds or ten seconds going the wrong way for no reason, that time adds up. Because my first reaction when I finish an encounter or reach a new area is to explore it to its edges. In linear Uncharted levels, this means you see everything. You find all the treasures. You catch all the dialog prompts. In these open chapters, it probably means I just wasted time. And instead of feeling like a badass rogue on a high-energy adventure, I'm a wandering and meandering moron with nothing to show for it.

I love Uncharted and I don't fault them for trying something different, but I hate these levels. For me, they don't fit in the game at all. They break the story, they break the pacing, and they give me no reward for using the skill set the rest of the series and its level design requires.

AudioEppa

I'm just going to say I severely disliked it, almost at times hated it. Not fully hate. I just prefer beautiful, yet tighter areas like the beginning of the game.

It bothered me more in lost legacy then it did in U4 because. I felt like the driving around extended my time playing more then it needed to be. And fuck puzzles, I never liked them in Uncharted.

Jawmuncher

It was better than UC4's.
Still not my cup of tea though. Just feels like busy work.
When I finished that area I never wanted to go back.

Daffy Duck

I’m playing this very section now and it’s the same as UC4, so there’s the feeling of doing it before.

I do like the little puzzle elements added now in collecting tokens.

Top Bottom