• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charizard and Greninja announced for Smash Bros.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
j1J1ajd.jpg

Greninja cover art in main site

drawn by Sugimori, dat Sugismash

God, do all modern Pokemon look like that? Turrible design.

Oh look it's that comment again

GimMick

Sakurai is really a master class at trolling and surprising us, holy shit. I think most of us expected Mewtwo at this point (but maybe he's a secret character). Incredibly hype trailer.

I haven't played X/Y yet, but this looks like an excellent choice for a new representant of the 6G. Will certainly try it out !

Edit : The "no transformation change" stuff from the middle of the direct pretty much means no Pokémon Trainer anymore... I ain't even mad to be honest.

Femto.

Where is this coming from? Pokemon had essentially six reps in Brawl. Three of those reps have been confirmed. Only one completely new Pokemon has been revealed.
Its all just hyperbole.

Man winter can't come soon enough! No way am I opting for the 3DS version, Nintendo pls.

Zaventem

How did they get the cinematic to look like that? this really good color i can't put my finger on it. Looks really good.

Nintendo should make a Smash Bros : Pokemon Ediition that only has pokemon and pokemon levels. Think about it...a real..pokemon..fighting game.... FREE MONEY

Refugio

Yeah thought it was Mewtwo at first but then I realized he was using water and suspected it to be Greninja.

Fine with the choices though kinda sad if this means no Pokemon trainer. Still love Charizard getting his own spot tho

TP

I really want Mewtwo back in and I stopped playing Pokemon games years ago

but that character looks all kinds of awesome

hype hype hype

Sesha

Lizardon and Sarutobi Frogsuke. Gen 1 and latest gen. Nice. I like how the coloring of the pair matches the different versions of the game. Very appropriate.

RIP PKMN TRNR

I wonder why Sakurai choose against transformation characters this time. Hopefully Squirtle and Ivysaur make it in since they had almost complete movesets.

I know nothing about tech stuff, but I assume it's because of memory restrictions with the 3DS.

NotLiquid

I'm going to be honest, Greninja is probably my favorite announcement so far.

Never mind that it's my absolute favorite starter evo of any Pokemon game ever, it's so unexpected. The character has such a good design to me and it feels like a bit of an underdog representation. Not to mention, his game play looks fucking sweet.

I am so excited for Smash right now. The inclusions so far have been pretty predictable but man, they've been nailing it when it all comes together! And for me, Greninja is the icing on the cake for me, even if I do miss a W101 rep being the cherry on top.

harmonize

That reveal trailer was fucking hype distilled; they both look fun as hell to play.

Now just add Jiggles and Mewtwo as secret characters and call it a day.

Fey

Banned
fuck you charizard you asshole overhyped piece of garbage shit Gen 1 already has 2 reps and 3rd spot belong to mewtwo u stunky cunt i'm so mad

greninja's cool

RIP PKMN TRNR

I wonder why Sakurai choose against transformation characters this time. Hopefully Squirtle and Ivysaur make it in since they had almost complete movesets.
Probably because they're taking up space in memory and not really contributing anything while in memory. Since all the forms can't be used at the same time, players end up picking a favorite and sticking with it. In my household Charizard was more popular and used more often than the other two pokemon, even though Squirtle is supposedly the best of the three. And for the most part players either played as Sheik or Zelda, I don't think there were many players that tried to master both.

This is conjecture on my part of course, but given how loading multiple transformations was problematic in Brawl, I imagine they want to avoid that this time if possible. Being able to make each form an individual identity could help with balance as well (this form is a strong and fast close range character, letting him/her transform and gain access to a good long range attack might be too good etc.).

Also HECK YES GRENINJA :3

I'm chuffed at having Charizard get his own character slot, something I'd been hoping for because screw Brawl trying to make me use Squirtle after each death, now they can buff him up and round out his moveset a bit more.

Greninja is a great choice to rep the current generation of pokemon, I'm all for more generation variety in smash and the fact it runs off ninja tropes fills a fighting style slot that smash is mostly missing from Smash (I guess you could argue Shiek somewhat).

Ricky 7

I'm so glad Charizard is a stand alone character now. No more stamina or Squirtle and Ivysaur tying him down. I don't even care that Mewtwo isn't in it, this Charizard news is too good.

Top Bottom