• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charles Dance should have won an Emmy for his Game of Thrones role

By far the best actor on the show. And to my end I'll say that there can only be ONE Tywin Lannister. The man not just owned the role, but every scene he was in was so expertly acted that he commanded the scene, and elevated the performance of the other actors.

He really should have won something for his role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_URYDfPoA

This scene in particular is so amazing! *Spoilers if you're not caught to at least Season 4"

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
sorry OP, only thing i could think of when he was on screen was Last Action Hero.

jk.

he was excellent as Tywin, very great casting.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The older dudes usually rocked. The actors who played Joer Mormont, Master Aemon, the High Sparrow and Barristan Selmy were great too.

Levito

Banned
I always loved those scenes where Joffrey was like "I AM THE KING DO WHAT I SAY" and Tywin was like "Listen to your fuckin' elders, kid."

Twin always felt like the smartest character, like no matter who he was talking to they felt inferior to him, Charles is a crazy good actor.

Show went down hill fast after losing Tywin. He was brilliant, Charles dominated every scene he was in.

Since they ended up fanfictioning they should have kept him alive. Tywin vs the religious nuts and then vs Dany would have been great.

I'm rewatching the series right now and he was always my favorite part. Every scene he's in is elevated by his presence. Completely embodied Tywin Lannister.

DarkKyo

Since they ended up fanfictioning they should have kept him alive. Tywin vs the religious nuts and then vs Dany would have been great.

I feel like that would screw up a lot of Tyrion's story and character development to the point where he's a different character than he is right now.

vio

The older dudes usually rocked. The actors who played Joer Mormont, Master Aemon, the High Sparrow and Barristan Selmy were great too.
And as a big payoff we get Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington wrapping up everything.

sorry OP, only thing i could think of when he was on screen was Last Action Hero.

For me it's always Ali G..

svlKw0d.gif

His debut with Jamie and the stag was intense stuff, the show really moved up a gear with that one. Not from the books either if I recall.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm honestly surprised that Cersei has never won anything. Same goes for Olenna. Both characters have impeccable performances.

If anyone will be nominated going forward it should be Cersei
As much as I've been enjoying this season, the writing has been meh and Cersei is the only one turning it out

Camwi

Nah, Peter Dinklage is the best actor on the show. Dude deserves all the awards he's won.

Sad that his character has been put on the backburner recently, though.

sjboi

I'm honestly surprised that Cersei has never won anything. Same goes for Olenna. Both characters have impeccable performances.

Lena Headey has been nominated for an Emmy for the last three of four years for her role as Cersei, but comes up short each time. The problem is that Emilia Clarke and Masie Williams have also been submitted as nominations, despite their FAR weaker performances, and the GoT votes get split amongst two or three actresses, and therefore none of them win.

Vashetti

Banned
Lena Headey has been nominated for an Emmy for the last three of four years for her role as Cersei, but comes up short each time. The problem is that Emilia Clarke and Masie Williams have also been submitted as nominations, despite their FAR weaker performances, and the GoT votes get split amongst two or three actresses, and therefore none of them win.

They should have pushed for just Lena last year. Stellar work in season 6.

sjboi

They should have pushed for just Lena last year. Stellar work in season 6.

Actually season 6 (and 7) I think missed the cut-off for the Emmys, so any nominations for this year's awards should be for season 6 performances, iirc.

EDIT: actually I'm not so sure about that now, a google search suggests that GoT will be absent this year, but last year's awards were indeed for season 6? Just ignore me :p

Busty

Banned
I fucking love Charles Dance.

I've been a huge fan of Mr Dance's since the Last Action Hero.

Yes, the Last Action Hero.

The role was originally written for Alan Rickman (slyly reprising his Die Hard role) but when he wanted too much money the studio turned to Charles Dance who knocked it out of the park.

Charles then reportedly preceded to walk around the set with a t-shirt that read "I'm cheaper than Alan Rickman".

Or so the story goes.

Galang

Banned
Not just him... A lot of game of thrones actors should, but people will fight to say otherwise. I really think 90% of the cast from the beginning of the series did a great job. Most the times the acting falls flat is only when the writing is subpar

Goodstyle

Tywin was one of the greatest characters in the series, one of the few who's actor actually elevated the character.

If anyone will be nominated going forward it should be Cersei
As much as I've been enjoying this season, the writing has been meh and Cersei is the only one turning it out

Season 5 was that in a nutshell. Everything was garbage except for Cersei. She's the only consistently interesting character on the show, which is why the writers
are afraid of killing her off.
Everyone has their off seasons, but Lena Headey always brings it.

Top Bottom