• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo faces 'imminent' attack after publishing image of naked Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

The satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo has received death threats after it published another controversial front page which has been accused of mocking Muslims.

Commenting on the decision to ban burkas from beaches in Cannes, the latest issue depicts a man and woman with a traditional beard and hijab running naked on the beach with the caption “The reform of Islam: Muslims loosen up”.

The issue was published on Wednesday and the staff received a threat that a new attack was imminent via the magazine’s Facebook page, Le Parisien reported.

An investigation opened by the force revealed that the magazine had seen 60 threats, insults and anti-Semitic remarks on their page in July and August.

More @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...blishing-image-of-naked-muslims-a7190276.html

Media

I really hope these threats are unfounded. Those guys have balls to keep doing what they do after what happened, I salute them for that.

Here it is (comic genitalia):
WKLLkL7.jpg

subrock

I know this is probably being paranoid but you might just want to link to that image instead of embedding it.

These guys are basically suicidal at this point

Audioboxer

Hopefully they have police protection. I also wouldn't have a public address if I were them

The staff? I assume most of their home addresses will be protected. The office they work from does though, that is where the attack was carried out before.

bjork

The staff? I assume most of their home addresses will be protected. The office they work from does though, that is where the attack was carried out before.

They could be followed from their workplace.

Also, didn't 4chan figure out where Amber Lamps lived and worked, even though she was merely in the background of a video that wasn't even about her?

I'm all for free speech, but if you don't have a fucking military-level security team at that building, you really shouldn't do this.

Mocking Muslims in a region where Islamic extremists are everywhere, armed and have easy access to your place of business is literally suicide.

Kurtofan

I'm all for free speech, but if you don't have a fucking military-level security team at that building, you really shouldn't do this.

Mocking Muslims in a region where Islamic extremists are everywhere, armed and have easy access to your place of business is literally suicide.

Maybe the government should do something about that second point...

shoplifter

In other words, they're not afraid of terrorism?

In other words, they're not afraid of terrorism?

Maybe the editors aren't afraid to die, but if some night janitor who doesn't know or care about anything being published there just happens to be cleaning the office when someone decides to toss a grenade in through the window, you know... that's kinda irresponsible on the editor's parts.

There comes a point when you need to be conscience of the people surrounding you, not just your own personal agenda.

It's very scary that you need to think about "will someone kill me for this". I'd say keep at it. They are free to do so and if anyone has a problem with it, they can just not buy the magazine. Not that difficult.

Maybe the editors aren't afraid to die, but if some night janitor who doesn't know or care about anything being published there just happens to be cleaning the office when someone decides to toss a grenade in through the window, you know... that's kinda irresponsible on the editor's parts.
No, that is 100% on the guy throwing the grenade.

Oriel

CH would want to have the GIGN guarding their offices.

In any case here's hoping the mag keeps winding the fuck out of these fundies.

Sami+

What are they trying to accomplish here? There's nothing remotely insightful about that image, it's just hateful mockery of millions of people just for the sake of it.

Terrorists are scum, these cartoonists don't deserve to die or even be physically harmed at all, but fuck them regardless for this. Trash.

Henkka

Banned
Why do people even give them attention? I honestly don't understand

Why not? They do important work, crass as it seems. The situation in France where mocking Islam can be a death sentence is unacceptable, and someone has to stand up to it. The barbarians who did the attacks in Paris and Nice shouldn't be given an inch.

What are they trying to accomplish here? There's nothing remotely insightful about that image, it's just hateful mockery of millions of people just for the sake of it.

Terrorists are scum, these cartoonists don't deserve to die or even be physically harmed at all, but fuck them regardless for this. Trash.
What exactly is hateful about it? It's mocking someone, but I wouldn't call it hateful. Don't see the big deal.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Actual Frenchman here. It's funny you should say that. I was just chatting with my neighbor the other day and he agreed that things are going overboard. He had an impressive collection of very nice-looking firearms but strangely, no razors to speak of.

shoplifter

Why not? They do important work, crass as it seems. The situation in France where mocking Islam can be a death sentence is unacceptable, and someone has to stand up to it. The barbarians who did the attacks in Paris and Nice shouldn't be given an inch.

But making the terrorists happy will stop the terrorism!

Sami+

Yeah so let's just stoop down to the most petty, reductive form of discourse to mock all Muslims. That'all really show them and change things for the better.

Charlie Hebdo mocks everyone. Islam doesn't get a free pass and rightly so.

Agremont

It's very scary that you need to think about "will someone kill me for this". I'd say keep at it. They are free to do so and if anyone has a problem with it, they can just not buy the magazine. Not that difficult.

Yep. And/or use freedom of speech to critize it.

It's a beautiful thing.

hopefully nothing comes out of this. Its a crazy world when one cant even paint a picture of muhammed without rising your own life.
Free speech is a good thing.

The muslim community needs to step it up, have education programs and show that they can be accepting towards other cultures,religions and ways. I know most muslims are peaceful but they cant keep turning a blind eye towards terrorism. far to many within the muslim world have a fucked up view of modern society.

CloudWolf

You'd think that people who were attacked twice in the last five years would be a bit more careful around matters of religion. I'm not saying they should be self-censoring, but they are just provoking the extremists. I mean, if I was an editor at a newspaper whose offices were firebombed and where later 75% of my collegues were murdered, I'd probably think twice before openly mocking those people again.

Betty

Banned
Yeah so let's just stoop down to the most petty, reductive form of discourse to mock all Muslims. That'all really show them and change things for the better.

If all the other religions out there can take being satirised without resorting to violence, Muslims can too.

Henkka

Banned

That's what they do to all religions. Did you miss the cover where they had Jesus fucking God in the ass?

Oriel

Yeah the terrorists should definitely be allowed to win.

Kusagari

Treating Muslims with kid gloves, when every other religion on the planet can be mocked without constant threats of violence, isn't going to make things better either. It only validates them when they resort to violence.

Real Hero

You'd think that people who were attacked twice in the last five years would be a bit more careful around matters of religion. I'm not saying they should be self-censoring, but they are just provoking the extremists. I mean, if I was an editor at a newspaper whose offices were firebombed and where later 75% of my collegues were murdered, I'd probably think twice before openly mocking those people again.
Well good on them for not, they are brave

Sami+

What exactly is hateful about it? It's mocking someone, but I wouldn't call it hateful. Don't see the big deal.

It's not a big deal at all, so what baffles me is seeing Gaffers stand behind them and praise them for this garbage.

I don't think the response would be the same if a racist American "artist" came out with a satirical comic mocking black people following a riot here or something. It'd just be dismissed as hateful and racist in its intent and people would move on, not say "mm good on him in this PC society we live in".

I agree that it's crass as fuck, but there are safe channels to criticize and condemn Hebdo's approach to satire, nobody should ever feel like they're liable to be killed over a drawing.

Treating Muslims with kid gloves, when every other religion on the planet can be mocked without constant threats of violence, isn't going to make things better either. It only validates them when they resort to violence.
+ Charlie Hebdo remaining defiant proves that terrorists lost

It's not a big deal at all, so what baffles me is seeing Gaffers stand behind them and praise them for this garbage.

I don't think the response would be the same if a racist American "artist" came out with a satirical comic mocking black people following a riot here or something. It'd just be dismissed as hateful and racist in its intent and people would move on, not say "mm good on him in this PC society we live in".
If people would find that image racist, they would say "that is racist", tell people why and move on with their life. The news here is that someone who takes offense at an image might go as far as terrorist attacks over it. So then people move towards the side of the ones that are not the terrorists. Nothing to do with a "PC society" or whatever.

Well if they're not cowards, they should put a huge sign up in front of the building saying, "WARNING: We regularly mock Muslims and Islam and have been targeted by terrorists in the past. Your life is in danger being near this place."

To at least WARN people of potential retaliation against them at that location.

Because, the everyday passerby or tourist or even adjacent businesses might think twice about being anywhere near that office and risking their lives for someone else's agenda. It is located in the middle of a city afterall. It's not like they are in a shack in the middle of the woods, far from risking other people's lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom