• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chessmaster Trump contradicts official Comey narrative in NBC interview

Oersted

Here is the clip, courtesy of NBC

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/862713274676072448

For those on data

“I was going to fire Comey — my decision,” ..
“I was going to fire regardless of recommendation,” Trump said. “He made a recommendation, but regardless of recommendation I was going to fire Comey.”

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-comey-nbc-explanation-contradicts-letter-385abac04b96

The president also reiterated his claim that he had been planning to fire Comey even before he received Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein's recommendation to do so.

Holt's interview with the president came as Washington was still reeling over Trump's removal of Comey on Tuesday. And Trump's revelation that he would have fired Comey even without Rosenstein's input was not what his top officials had told reporters earlier this week.

White House Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders explained Thursday that she had spoken with the president on Tuesday night and didn't ask him directly if he'd already made the decision to terminate Comey before seeing the Rosenstein memo, which she had earlier told reporters was the reason Trump ousted the FBI chief.

But Trump, in his talk with Holt, also contradicted Vice President Mike Pence's account of how his boss came to his decision to fire Comey on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Rosenstein.

More here and on NBC

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ey-whether-he-was-under-investigation-n757821

Lock if old

Reminder

170509181301-james-comey-fired-letter-trump-large-169.png

akira28

his natural instinct to juke left when they expect him to juke right has served him well. but even then it can't get him out of this, can it? this guy has to have some sacred altar and a supernatural deal somewhere. Like Castro and the Virgin Mary.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's just impossible for him not to take full credit for something. Even at his detriment and in direct conflict of the narrative he had to make sure DAG didn't get any of the "credit"

johnsmith

remember me
"He's a showboat, he's grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil," Trump said of Comey in his wide-ranging interview with Holt. "You know that, I know that. Everybody knows that. You take a look at the FBI a year ago, it was in virtual turmoil, less than a year ago. It hasn't recovered from that."

the ironing

Speevy

Banned
It's me. All me. I made the decision.

"But people hate the decision."

It was more them. I just followed it. Wasn't me at all.

Next week:

"I saw Comey getting two scoops of ice cream. That's an abuse of power. Only I get two scoops. I let him go. The best decision I think."

Hearing snippets of the conversation actually got me to yell at the TV. Especially the pathetic stuff about Michael Flynn.

Flynn was fired by Obama, then started working on behalf of an authoritarian country (paid by a Russian) and didn't disclose it. He's borderline a fucking traitor, maybe he actually is, and yet after Sally Yates tells Trump that Flynn is compromised Trump ignores it. He fired him 18 days later supposedly for lying to Pence, all the while he was still sitting in on intelligence briefing. And funny enough Flynn may never have even gotten appropriate clearance! And Trump continues to praise and support Flynn. But Comey had to be fired unceremoniously and dogged?

How the fuck can you blame Obama?

I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

Binabik15

Hearing snippets of the conversation actually got me to yell at the TV. Especially the pathetic stuff about Michael Flynn.

Flynn was fired by Obama, then started working on behalf of an authoritarian country (paid by a Russian) and didn't disclose it. He's borderline a fucking traitor, maybe he actually is, and yet after Sally Yates tells Trump that Flynn is compromised Trump ignores it. He fired him 18 days later supposedly for lying to Pence, all the while he was still sitting in on intelligence briefing. And funny enough Flynn may never have even gotten appropriate clearance! And Trump continues to praise and support Flynn. But Comey had to be fired unceremoniously and dogged?

Obummer didn't warn them enough and he was, like, totally joking and should have taken his security clearance instead of just firing him!

Aikidoka

incredible. This is the person some people look up to for being some sort of genius or having an supernatural knack for the human psyche.

Jonnax

So? The entire republican party is backing Trump.

He can say that Russia is better than the USA and that he emailed Putin top secret nuke info, and Paul Ryan will call it a brilliant move.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

It's best for your mental health to just not watch him. EVERY decision he makes is based on how he thinks it will play in the media. If it goes badly, it was someone else's fault, even if shifting the blame seems preposterous.

MarionCB

I believe Trump here. He needed to fire Comey but he at least wanted some kind of pretext, no matter how flimsy.

I think the outline of what happened is this:

1. Trump thinks Comey is on his side because he helped so much with Hilary and basically got him elected. Trump decides to keep Comey and anyway, it would be unusual to fire a FBI director in any case. Besides the Dems seem to want it, so not good.

2. Between the inauguration and about April, Trump becomes increasingly worried that Comey isn't on his side and is actually investigating him. He still realises it's bad to fire the FBI director, well, at least until the internal investigation finishes.

3. Comey reveals publicly he is investigating Trump. Trump is extremely angry and wants to fire him but doesn't because it would look too bad to fire the guy investigating you.

4. Last Monday: Comey goes to Rosenstein and requests significantly more money and materials to ramp up the Russia investigation and get it done quickly. Rosenstein tells Trump and Sessions, Trump loses his shit and panics, and realises this is too desperate and he needs to fire Comey immediately before he uncovers everything. Somehow it's decided to get Rosenstein to write a memo with a pretext for the firing.

5. The Trump administration, incompetent at the best of times, explodes into chaos and utter incompetence trying to handle all of this. Everyone tells different stories and spins.

Top Bottom