• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Mueller Has Early Draft of Trump Letter Giving Reasons for Firing Comey

chadskin

Don't forget that it weren't just Miller and Trump who were in Bedminster on the weekend the letter was drafted, Jared Kushner was also around and was reportedly among those pushing for Comey's firing. Considering he himself participated in the Trump Tower meeting, he would've had a good reason to try to shut down any investigation.

Oh and recall this:
In his feud with Kushner, Bannon may have a powerful ally: Reince Priebus, also recently departed from the White House with a quiver of grudges. Recently, according to several sources, Bannon has told friends he wants Priebus to give his account of the James Comey firing to special prosecutor Robert Mueller. According to a source close to Priebus, the former chief of staff believes that the decision was made during an early May weekend in Bedminster, where Kushner, Ivanka Trump, and Stephen Miller were with the president. Trump returned to the Oval Office on Monday, May 8 and told other aides he intended to fire Comey.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/steve-bannon-readies-his-revenge

chadskin

We're getting closer to the content of the letter...

The multi-page letter enumerated Trump’s long-simmering complaints with Comey, according to people familiar with it, including Trump’s frustration that Comey was unwilling to say publicly that Trump was not personally under investigation in the FBI’s inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

Trump drafted the letter with senior policy adviser Stephen Miller on an early-May weekend visit to his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., and then shared it with senior aides during an Oval Office meeting the day before the firing, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Some aides urged caution, these people said. And Trump ultimately sent Comey a far shorter letter that described his decision as having been prompted by recommendations from Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, who served as Comey’s direct supervisors — a description that was echoed in initial public statements by White House officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c6cd8e-8f17-11e7-8df5-c2e5cf46c1e2_story.html

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He already admitted on a televised interview that he fired comey because of the russia thing.

What more could that letter really add?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
He already admitted on a televised interview that he fired comey because of the russia thing.

What more could that letter really add?
Another piece of evidence to his motive and it ropes in like six more people as witnesses and/or co-conspirators.

Kensation

rfVauNw.gif

Zophar

White House is staying away from this story, it seems?

Maybe they finally learned (after falling for the same trick dozens of times) that they should hold off on comments before getting rope a dope'd.

Don't be so sure: Sanders is doing a press conference soon.

I would prefer everybody keep dunking on Miller vs focusing in on Trump here tbh, Mueller's case is gonna take a while but putting pressure on to get rid of Miller might move him out

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I would prefer everybody keep dunking on Miller vs focusing in on Trump here tbh, Mueller's case is gonna take a while but putting pressure on to get rid of Miller might move him out
Yeah, plus Miller would definitely try to save himself by turning on others.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Don't forget that it weren't just Miller and Trump who were in Bedminster on the weekend the letter was drafted, Jared Kushner was also around and was reportedly among those pushing for Comey's firing. Considering he himself participated in the Trump Tower meeting, he would've had a good reason to try to shut down any investigation.

Oh and recall this:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/steve-bannon-readies-his-revenge

Ivanka, Jared, and Stephen, oh my.

I don't think Mueller will leave them out.

It's not like anyone had a doubt before, but it would be great to have it in writing. It would be a cornerstone piece of evidence for the impeachment process.

Joe

Did Mueller just recently receive this letter?

How the heck would he even come in possession of it in the first place.

Lord Fagan

Ivanka, Jared, and Stephen, oh my.

I don't think Mueller will leave them out.

When she is swept up in this, that's when Trump is gonna show us that the last 8 months have been a fucking square dance compared to what he'll unleash when they go after his babygirl heir.

TheContact

Sounds normal proc.

You guys are overreacting here.
So a letter exists that Trump wrote where he says he doesn't like Comey. How is this big news?
I'm lost here.

Because McGhan had it changed from its original draft and there could be proof of the real reason why 45 fired Comey

Top Bottom