• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Sweet, a chicago thread!

what does the UFC and dirty hipsters have to do with the city?

I don't know what UFC has to do with anything, but it's a big stretch to call pitchfork "hipster." I find it hard to use the word so loosely, when one of the origins for it (the 90s/00s version of the word) was in Wicker Park, a west side neighborhood in chicago.

That's where artists moved to because it was dirt cheap rent in a semi-run down part of town...of course, Wicker Park today has almost no connection to those days and is basically the same as Lincoln Park, an east side upscale neighborhood, in a lot of ways. Expensive and lots of yuppies, for two things. The main difference is that the people have a different outward image they project-- typical Lincoln Parkers tend to be more clean cut, typical Wicker Parkers might have box frame glasses and a threadless t-shirt and listen to bands on pitchfork. but they're basically the same person. The difference is that Wicker Park people heard from their friends that Wicker Park is cool, so when they moved in from out of state, that's where they went. I'll admit, it is a bit cooler out there, but the difference between the two areas is tiny for me.

Anyway, Pitchfork attracts both of those types of people and really, it has basically had the same bands for years (with a few stand outs) and has only gotten more crowded. If you want to be truly hipster in chicago, run out of money except a couple thousand, move west (not Pilsen, it looks poor but the gentrification has already pushed your ass out of the market), and start an apartment gallery. Go to free shows at hotti biscotti, the Hideout, and loft shows. Don't drink PBR, drink Hamm's.

There's your free chicago history lesson.

Chicago rocks. I love it here. Winters are kinda crappy, but can't be the spring, summer and fall.

It's one of the (if not THE) most exciting "foodie" city in the U.S. right now too.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
This has been floating around Pilsen

chicagohipster.jpg

awesome, I'm actually flying into ORD from San Francisco tonight.
Besides Gramaphone Records and Reckless Records, any other recommendations for record stores?
Looking for some good steakhouses and some gastropubs/dive bars with good craft beers. Already tried a variety of deep dish pizza, hot dogs, and bbqs. Going to try and make my way to Kuma's Korner again since last time it was a 2-3 hour wait during the DAY.

I'll be staying in the downtown area, right across from Millennium Park.

There are 3 reckless records stores, go to all of them and you'll be set. You'll be near the Loop Reckless store, within a block or two if you're staying across from Millennium Park. You can actually browse their entire stock at any store and it's updated daily: www.reckless.com

I don't think you'd need another record store, but Dave's Records is a 20 to 30-minute bus ride north and Gramaphone is few blocks north from Dave's and the Lakeview Reckless store are all right there too, within walking distance of each other. If you wanna take a trip to Evanston, it's about an hour+ from where you are, but there are a few more record stores there (second hand tunes.) Not really necessary though.

Steakhouses-- just go along the river near Marina City, there are a bunch of expensive steak houses. There are lots of steakhouses downtown and they're all pretty darn expensive.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

ChiTownBuffalo

OK, other cities, how many half Kenyan Harvard grads do you have?

We got them both!

President_Official_Portrait_HiRes.jpg

tom-morello.jpg

joelseph

Dusty Grove in Wicker Park is another must-go record store. Gramaphone is the only dance store still around and they are starting to wane. Used to have Supreme and Brick House and all kinds of cool records stores to shop at. Chicago in the mid-late 90s was the fucking best. Best raves, best scene, best everything.

This has been floating around Pilsen

chicagohipster.jpg

lol

it's sad though, because if they're writing that, they're already gentrified /kenshiro

The real resistance was when honest-to-god poor artists were starting to move in and had to deal with some violence, spray painted "gtfo" on their houses in so many words, and other hostility. but that was like 6 or 7 years ago. Now if you make it in the art world but want to stay "legit," you buy a shitty place in Pilsen and remodel it.

LQX

Strangely, I have always wanted to go to Chicago because it kind of reminds me of NY.

Kosmo

Banned
There is no better city than Chicago for being single or newly married in your mid-20's to early 30's - it's downright cheap compared to Manhattan with all of the amenities and beach right downtown. If you ever have a kid, though, it's time to get out to the burbs, because the schools are shit - unless, of course, you have about $30K per kid, per year to send them to a private school.

There are 3 reckless records stores, go to all of them and you'll be set. You'll be near the Loop Reckless store, within a block or two if you're staying across from Millennium Park. You can actually browse their entire stock at any store and it's updated daily: www.reckless.com

I don't think you'd need another record store, but Dave's Records is a 20 to 30-minute bus ride north and Gramaphone is few blocks north from Dave's and the Lakeview Reckless store are all right there too, within walking distance of each other. If you wanna take a trip to Evanston, it's about an hour+ from where you are, but there are a few more record stores there (second hand tunes.) Not really necessary though.

Steakhouses-- just go along the river near Marina City, there are a bunch of expensive steak houses. There are lots of steakhouses downtown and they're all pretty darn expensive.

awesome, thanks. Yea the Reckless Records i think on Madison in downtown is the only one i frequent every time I'm in Chicago. The others seem a bit far.
I've had Pizza Oven Grinders, which was pretty good. Different take on pizza I guess and that flatbread was so good.

I'll be sure to check out David Burkes and Dusty Grove Records. Thanks so far!

Sending some love to you guys from Toronto!

I love Chicago. It's the American city that feels most like home to me.
I visit every two years at least.

My favourite two bars I found the last time I was in your town are called "The Map Room" and "HopLeaf"

Cheers!

ChiTownBuffalo

I hope I don't get banned for what I just did in the NFL thread.

Oppo

Going to ChiTown for St. Patrick's Day weekend. Ought to be fun. :)

Love Chicago. Dat waterfront!

Also, I'm laughing at the idiot who called it a B-list city. It's the 3rd biggest city in America. (my hometown of Toronto is just behind it in population.)

ChiTownBuffalo

The DJ at Beauty Bar.

l.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

You dirty dirty man, what days do you go? hahaha. I hear there is a hottie working at Conquest Comics on Western that is heavy into tapping cards. Also the comic shop the Chicago Bears shop at.

I don't. I actually can't be near her or I turn into a stammering 12 year old. It's pretty sad actually. You might meet her. I think she spins on Mondays?

effzee

From NYC here but I always wanted to visit Chicago...mainly because it reminds me of NYC and that is the only kind of city I like to live in. Big, crowded, diverse, and historic.

I AINT EVEN MAD CHICAGO-GAF

Top Bottom