• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

5eEmh0W.png

I was jogging in Park Ridge last week at night and a motherfucking coyote(although it honestly looked a lot more like a fox) was right there as I turned a corner around Washington school's track. At first I thought it was a stray cat or something and then once it started to follow me and it was like 3 feet to my side I realized it goddamn wasn't. Scared me shitless. I thought it got scared of me too so I started to jog slowly the other way as to not make it think I'm prey, but it followed me. The little jerk was prancing and skipping while my heat rate is increasing 100x and I'm about ready to jump into a random window. I was about to get my phone out to record my last message before I got ripped apart.I turned back around and luckily there is a fence with a gate(its not really a gate, but theres a gap in the fence there theres another small fence that covers the width of the gap but is like 4 feet from the fence), I went through the gate and thankfully it didn't follow me through(or it didn't realize it could) and I just bolted for my life.

Are these guy dangerous?

I mean shit, during the summer I need to watch out for skunks and raccoons all over Park Ridge, and thats bad enough. But now I need to add Coyote to this list? Thankfully that FFC that opened is 24/7 :|

Evo X

A lone coyote should pose no danger to an adult. It's more scared of you then you are of it because of the size difference.

Now if you run into a pack of them, better GTFO. Lol

We were about a block away so I'm not exactly sure but there were two of them. We're up in Lincoln Square near Ravenswood. We'll have to keep our eyes out when we're walking at night for sure. Multiple is a bad sign.

Viewt

Oh shit I have a really promising first date. Where should we go?

If you guys are into beer at all, Hopleaf is a great date spot. Great vibe, good food, and lots of other cool stuff in the area to walk to afterwards. Split an order of the Belgian mussels and fries - guaranteed deliciousness. Dunno how much of a trek Andersonville is for you, though.

I also found trivia nights ideal for first dates in the past. There's something to do, so it takes some of the tension out of trying to fill all of the dead air and keep the conversation going. Of course, that also hinges on you guys finding a nearby trivia bar, and also being competent at trivia (or OK with losing haha).

Is there a specific area you're looking to go to?

Good luck!

Anyone else here really enjoy Oasis in the back of a jewelry store on Wabash?

Best Mediterranean food in the city. Its the only place I could walk to daily for lunch from the Civic Opera building.

I don't have a problem with *some* of these. Some of those old flats were essentially the same cookie-cutter construction of their era, and don't look that great, and some of the modern ones aren't bad.

I'd probably feel bad about it if these flats were a vanishing breed, but there are tens of thousands of them (or more?) in the city.

Maybe it's a reverse nature of twitter, and they used their best examples first, but the first three are fine.

I'm also not opposed to side yards.

Maybe, but as the owner of a 100+ year old house, construction was fucking sturdy back then,

Also, I don't get the twitter guys complaint about dedesification. That's a good thing, IMHO. Been the West Loop lately? It's insane.

Viewt

I'm also not opposed to side yards.

My issue with side yards is the same issue I have with so many two/three/four-flats being turned into single family homes. These tear-downs and gut rehabs are removing (often affordable) units from the neighborhood. So when you have a guy who buys two adjacent three-flats and turns them into an SFH with a side yard, you're removing seven units (assuming a garden unit in each) from the area.

As far as de-densification, it's a matter of preference, I suppose. Personally, I find density to be an asset. More people in a neighborhood brings more businesses, brings more options, etc. De-densifying these areas (especially with these single family homes) just hikes up the rent on the units still available, since there's less supply to fulfill the demand. That's dependent on the neighborhood being desirable, though, to be fair.

Is there a problem with the West Loop being too dense? I've never felt that way. But then, I don't live there, so maybe you have a better perspective on that.

My issue with side yards is the same issue I have with so many two/three/four-flats being turned into single family homes. These tear-downs and gut rehabs are removing (often affordable) units from the neighborhood. So when you have a guy who buys two adjacent three-flats and turns them into an SFH with a side yard, you're removing seven units (assuming a garden unit in each) from the area.

As far as de-densification, it's a matter of preference, I suppose. Personally, I find density to be an asset. More people in a neighborhood brings more businesses, brings more options, etc. De-densifying these areas (especially with these single family homes) just hikes up the rent on the units still available, since there's less supply to fulfill the demand. That's dependent on the neighborhood being desirable, though, to be fair.

Is there a problem with the West Loop being too dense? I've never felt that way. But then, I don't live there, so maybe you have a better perspective on that.

I just feel taking *some* units away isn't a huge deal. I figure the market will adjust. If the area is desirable, people will pay what they feel it's worth. Constricting supply by itself won't drive prices up. Are there neighborhoods with little vacancy?

And West Loop has been having dense housing units installed at a blinding clip for the last decade. It's causing the local school to be overfull and they've had to drop their gifted track.

Viewt

I just feel taking *some* units away isn't a huge deal. I figure the market will adjust. If the area is desirable, people will pay what they feel it's worth. Constricting supply by itself won't drive prices up. Are there neighborhoods with little vacancy?

And West Loop has been having dense housing units installed at a blinding clip for the last decade. It's causing the local school to be overfull and they've had to drop their gifted track.

Ahh, okay, well, I wasn't aware of that. That's a valid concern, for sure.

In regards to your first point, I agree that isolated incidents aren't really a problem, but it's became a big trend in west side neighborhoods. Logan Square, Humboldt Park, and Avondale are chock-full of tear-downs/conversions from multi-unit houses to single family homes. Even on a minor street like mine (Francisco Ave), I've seen like two dozen three-and-four-flats bought up and turned into samey, dark-brick-and-flat-facade SFHs.

Viewt

Oof, that first rent increase hurt. We're seriously so lucky to have the landlord we do. I'm about to sign my fifth lease here, and when I first moved in, it was $1165. It's now $1200. And it's not perfect (some of the fixtures are showing their age and our whole apartment shakes a little when you run the dryer). But for Logan Square, it's a fucking prize.

As for the weather today, yeah, it's gorgeous. I've just been in my back patio, enjoying the sun and listening to chatter on the 606 (which I can see from the patio like a complete creeper).

Jhoan

So I'm going to be in town working at C2E2 in April for the first time ever. My budget is about 400-500 bucks for 4 nights, 5 days (tentative) and I would be looking take the Amtrak into the city. Whatever is cheapest. The hostels that I've been looking at so far are:

Wrigley Hostel (38 mins away from the con; most expensive option)
Holiday Jones (33 mins away from the con via transit)
Freehand Chicago (21 mins away from the con via transit)
Hi Chicago (10 mins away from the con via transit; near the art museum)
Chicago Getaway Hostel (an hour away from the con via transportation; cheapest option)

I'm not ruling out looking into AirBnB places but it's not the first thing I think of since I'm planning to go alone at the moment (it might change). I'm also not ruling out looking into deals via hotels.com and expedia. My hope is to visit Division street at some point and check out the art museum. I like getting lost in the city walking around soaking up stuff and sketching people. I like seeing touristy stuff but honestly, I would be far more into visiting underrated places that aren't tourist traps.

I have a few friends working that con that live in the city so I'll look to them for anything else. A friend of mines said that Don's is the best place for deep dish pizza. Can anyone vouch for this place?

Viewt

As a Chicago resident of four years, I've never heard of Don's pizza.

The best deep dish in the city is arguable, but the general consensus settles on Pequod's. Caramelized cheese coat on the crust, good quality toppings, satisfyingly gooey cheese. It hits all of the notes you're looking for.

You could also try Chicago's other pizza variant (and the one that's far superior in my opinion) - tavern style (thin, cracker-like crust and cut into squares). Bartoli's is my favorite, but there are lots of great options.

Can't really comment on hostels here, as I've never used any of them. AirBnB'ing a room sounds like a more comfortable choice, though.

Beat's me. My friend (a New Yorker) told me about so it looks like he was wrong. I forgot to mention that he went 4 years ago so it sounds like it's defunct.

I looked on Yelp. It's closed, and there was only one review... which was a 5 star review. Maybe that was left by your friend.

For deep dish, we tend to to go Pequod's but it's kind of a pain to get to for us though since it's not near any train lines. I also like Lou's but my wife doesn't so we almost never get that.

I also like Home Run Inn. There's one off of Belmont so it's super convenient. The place we go to most is called Roots. It's less than a mile from our place and the pizza is pretty unique. I think if travel wasn't an issue, we'd go to Pequod's most but Roots is pretty close.

Jhoan

As a Chicago resident of four years, I've never heard of Don's pizza.

The best deep dish in the city is arguable, but the general consensus settles on Pequod's. Caramelized cheese coat on the crust, good quality toppings, satisfyingly gooey cheese. It hits all of the notes you're looking for.

You could also try Chicago's other pizza variant (and the one that's far superior in my opinion) - tavern style (thin, cracker-like crust and cut into squares). Bartoli's is my favorite, but there are lots of great options.

Can't really comment on hostels here, as I've never used any of them. AirBnB'ing a room sounds like a more comfortable choice, though.
Making a note to check out Pequod's and Bartoli's. Someone can say that x place is amazing, I'll go and try it out and it turns out to be okay so I'll keep my expectations in check. Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll definitely look into AirBnB places that aren't too far out of the way and weigh out my options. I met some interesting people when I stayed at a hostel in Boston last year for PAX East. What's an underrated spot that not many tourists check out? I've seen many people taking pictures at the metallic bean and the Sears Tower but I know those are super touristy places.
I fucking hate deep dish pizza but Pequod's is still edible

Don't forget to go check out Portillo's for hot dogs and cake !
I hear you. I don't think I've ever had Chicago deep dish pizza even in NYC. New York style pizza for life or bust. I had Boston pizza and it wasn't very good. Making a note of Portillo's because I love sauerkraut on my hotdogs. I like cake too so thanks for the recommendation.
I looked on Yelp. It's closed, and there was only one review... which was a 5 star review. Maybe that was left by your friend.
Thanks! I deleted it off my list of places to check out. Hahaha, I wish I could say it was him but it definitely wasn't.

Laevateinn said:
For deep dish, we tend to to go Pequod's but it's kind of a pain to get to for us though since it's not near any train lines. I also like Lou's but my wife doesn't so we almost never get that.

I also like Home Run Inn. There's one off of Belmont so it's super convenient. The place we go to most is called Roots. It's less than a mile from our place and the pizza is pretty unique. I think if travel wasn't an issue, we'd go to Pequod's most but Roots is pretty close.
Thanks! I'm making a note to check out Home Run Inn and Lou's. I don't mind walking if it's not too far of a trek to get back to a train. I'm thankful that Chicago adopted the grid system and doesn't have Boston's maze-like spider web roads so it should be easy for me to navigate.

Kisaya

all the ones ive tried here have been gross >.>

The funny thing is my favorite Italian beef is from a Illinois suburb chain, Buona Beef. If you're ever in Oak Park I suggest trying it :)

I'm gonna throw in my vote for Pequod's as well. It's not a bad walk from the Red line and there are bus lines that can take you there too. There's also Art of Pizza which I heard has pretty good deep dish too. Just do not for the life of you go to Lou Malnati's

Jhoan

The funny thing is my favorite Italian beef is from a Illinois suburb chain, Buona Beef. If you're ever in Oak Park I suggest trying it :)

I'm gonna throw in my vote for Pequod's as well. It's not a bad walk from the Red line and there are bus lines that can take you there too. There's also Art of Pizza which I heard has pretty good deep dish too. Just do not for the life of you go to Lou Malnati's
I made a note to avoid Lou Malnati's under an avoid sub section. What's so bad about it?

I heard there's a Barcade style place about an hour outside of the city. Is it worth checking out?

I made a note to avoid Lou Malnati's under an avoid sub section. What's so bad about it?

I heard there's a Barcade style place about an hour outside of the city. Is it worth checking out?

There is a barcade IN the city called Headquarters it's in River North. Go check it out, all the games are free and the drink specials are pretty solid.

Also Lou's is a soggy hot mess of dough.

Jhoan

There is a barcade IN the city called Headquarters it's in River North. Go check it out, all the games are free and the drink specials are pretty solid.

You had me at free games and drink specials. Thanks for the heads up on both things! I'm not a fan of soggy, super greasy pizza so I'm dodging a bullet.

Sai-kun

Banned

buona beef is sooooo good

one of my fave beef places in the city limits is Roma's up north on cicero and montrose

Viewt

Both Headquarters locations (there's also one in Lakeview) are totally solid. There's also Emporium, which has two locations: Wicker Park's location is a lot like HQ, except the games take 25-cent tokens and the drinks are a little cheaper, and then the Logan Square location is more about physical games like pool, air hockey, etc.

Also, yeah, don't go to Lou's. The crust doesn't have a satisfying texture, the sauce is too sweet, and I'm never that impressed with their topping quality. Pequod's is leagues better.

--

Oh, and as far as a barcade an hour outside the city, I'm guessing you're talking about Level 257, a Pac-Man-themed bar/grill/arcade. Never been there, so I couldn't tell you how good it is.

If you're willing to make a trek, Galloping Ghost (45-minute drive southwest of the Loop) is pretty fun. It's basically every arcade machine you could ever think of crammed into a couple massive rooms. It's a flat fee when you come in, and then you can go nuts. No drinks, unfortunately (at least, there weren't the last time I was there). The area around it is pretty barren, though.

Both Headquarters locations (there's also one in Lakeview) are totally solid. There's also Emporium, which has two locations: Wicker Park's location is a lot like HQ, except the games take 25-cent tokens and the drinks are a little cheaper, and then the Logan Square location is more about physical games like pool, air hockey, etc.

Also, yeah, don't go to Lou's. The crust doesn't have a satisfying texture, the sauce is too sweet, and I'm never that impressed with their topping quality. Pequod's is leagues better.

--

If you're willing to make a trek, Galloping Ghost (45-minute drive southwest of the Loop) is pretty fun. It's basically every arcade machine you could ever think of crammed into a couple massive rooms. It's a flat fee when you come in, and then you can go nuts. No drinks, unfortunately (at least, there weren't the last time I was there). The area around it is pretty barren, though.

Galloping Ghosts is probably the best old-school arcade in the city. Not much to do around there (besides the zoo) but it's pretty safe in Brookfield. The unfortunate things though are that it is REALLY tight... like they maximize their square footage. Also the clientele is a nice mix of families, kids, and adults though you're more likely to see the uber-hardcore arcade players there then the other places.

The River North Headquarters is pretty cool but can get a little bro-ish I've noticed.

Also for less arcade-games and more like billiards shuffle board, bocce and so forth, you may want to check out the Chicago Athletic Association's Game Room. It's an old Boy's Club, but it's been converted into restaurants, rooftop bars (Cindy's) and even a Shake Shack. The CAA Game Room definitely gives off a really cool Mad Men vibe though (though this place definitely gets bro-ish too).

SOME-MIST

^ Cindy's is always way too jammed every time I've gone but the game room is pretty rad.

The bar brixies is a block away from gga, and since they allow reentry its a good spot to hit up when thirsty/hungry. I rely on it when we have our annual shmupsmeet at gga ;)

Lagrange, IL is like a 5 minute drive from there and there's a bit to do in the beautiful downtown area too.

There are a couple of Replay locations. The one in Andersonville is "OK." It's a good place to get your Joust on.

Level 257 is decent. I went there for a kids party. More pinball than most (my biggest draw). Atmosphere is Dave and Bustersy.

Logan Arcade sounds good. They have two things-- a record shop with a small arcade in the back (which is so-so) and a bar that looks much better but that I haven't been to.

I really need to try Galloping Ghost sometime.

Top Bottom