• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Viewt

I would stay away. There were too many stories about crimes happening at night when I was a student.

From what I've heard, most of the crime is in West Rogers Park, and that the closer you are to the lake, the safer it is. That's anecdotal, though, so I couldn't say for sure. Either way, Rogers Park is kind of a last resort for us - I'd really prefer to be somewhere further south. I'd feel a little isolated, even if we were blocks away from the train.

the only bummer about andersonville is that it can make downtown/gold coast/anything beyond that feel really far away

Yeah, it's definitely going to be an adjustment being so far from our west side hangouts/friends. And it's depressing to leave Logan after living there for so long. I was taking my dog out for a walk the other day, thinking about all the stuff I was gonna miss. It really is home for us. :(

But I'm pretty much on the same page as Kisaya - I want to find a good Andersonville apartment. I'd honestly be fine taking our budget up to like $1850 if it meant getting a good spot. I feel like I have enough affinity for the area that it wouldn't feel like a downgrade.

Sai-kun

Banned
if your limit is $1850, you'll definitely find a sweet place! :)

maybe one day we'll finally have another chicago GAF meetup when everyone eventually lives in andersonville!!!

I kind of want to move to Andersonville. It should take roughly the same amount of time to my office as it does from Ravenswood/Lincoln Square.

How is I-90 access from there? I have to go to Rolling Meadows once a week and the access from my current place sucks.

I kind of want to move to Andersonville. It should take roughly the same amount of time to my office as it does from Ravenswood/Lincoln Square.

How is I-90 access from there? I have to go to Rolling Meadows once a week and the access from my current place sucks.

Terrible. Expect a long commute on those days (especially coming back).

From my place in the heart of Andersonville, it takes 20 minutes to get to 90 in light traffic (via Peterson to Nagle).

Andersonville, Uptown and Edgewater are all great. My partner and I pay about $2100 for a huge two bed / two bath condo on the north end of Uptown with in unit laundry and AC, two parking spots and a huge back porch we can garden on. The rent is definitely the upper end of what we want to pay, but we love the space and have been there for over four years. We have access to tons of restaurants and bars, and Andersonville is like a 10 minute walk west. We're also two minutes from red line, so that makes pretty much anything on the north side easily accessible. I've lived in the area for 12 years now, and I'm not leaving any time soon.

Its like 30 minutes on the brown line for me which is just perfect, honestly, gives me some daily reading time

I get to Rockwell station between 8:15 and 8:20. I usually get into the office between 8:50 and 9:05. It's not too bad but I feel like the ride is pretty inconsistent past Fullerton. I wish I lived a tad closer to the station too.

Hey Chicago-GAF,

Apparently our lack of morality is why there is so much violence here.

*sigh*

maxresdefault.jpg

So me, my friend, his friend, and her friend all wants to get away for the weekend(next weekend) into a nice secluded cabin where it has an hot tub and TV, kitchen (or close restaurants and liquor stores).
Does anyone have any nice recommendations? Perferbaly in Illinois, but we wouldn't mind going to Wisconsin, if there is a better deal.

joelseph

So me, my friend, his friend, and her friend all wants to get away for the weekend(next weekend) into a nice secluded cabin where it has an hot tub and TV, kitchen (or close restaurants and liquor stores).
Does anyone have any nice recommendations? Perferbaly in Illinois, but we wouldn't mind going to Wisconsin, if there is a better deal.

1.5 hours north up to Michigan is the wine highway which is full of Airbnb like what you are looking for.

Viewt

hugocésar;243252030 said:
Literally the only good thing about the summers in this city for me is the heavy rain so I'm really loving this right now.

Ugh but the humidity... Going out the rest of the day today is going to be a nightmare of sweatiness.

It's not anywhere near as bad as when I was living in Florida, but that's a pretty low bar haha.

Viewt

Ill be at pitchfork on Saturday if anyone wants to meet up. I can DM you my number.

Wish I was going - Jeff Rosenstock's gonna be there, and I've been meaning to see him live for a while.

I had a pretty great time last year, shredding my shorts up notwithstanding.

ToD_

Ill be at pitchfork on Saturday if anyone wants to meet up. I can DM you my number.

My girlfriend just got us tickets for Sunday. Looking at the schedule, I think I'd rather be there on Saturday, however.

Go see Nicolas Jaar for me. Dudes a killer.

That's one of the artists I recognize from the list (loved the Darkside collaboration). Definitely will be checking that out.

Speaking of stuff to do this weekend, if you're at all interested in The Little Hours, The Music Box is doing a screening along with a Q&A with Aubrey Plaza and the film's director. The trailer for it looks OK, but the Music Box always does a great job with these post-film discussions. My fiancée will be at the one on Saturday (they're also doing a Friday slot, but it's sold out).

This is movie is bonkers and amazing. I saw it at the music box last month and Kate Micucci and Plaza were there then as well. One guy did ask plaza out after and it was cringey as fuck.

Viewt

This is movie is bonkers and amazing. I saw it at the music box last month and Kate Micucci and Plaza were there then as well. One guy did ask plaza out after and it was cringey as fuck.

Oh god, why? That's so slimy.

Here's hoping we don't get any of that at our showing.

Viewt

Triple post!

If any of you folks are going to be near downtown later, Wait Wait! Don't Tell Me is doing another free live show at the Pritzker Pavilion. The last time they did this was a couple years ago, it was a great time (Chance ended up being their secret guest). The show starts at 7, but last time over 15,000 people showed up and they had to turn a lot of them away, so I'd recommend trying to get there by 6 at the latest. I'll probably be going around 5/5:30.

As a bonus, you'll also get to see super crusty rich people complaining about having to share VIP seating (i.e. the area with seats) with the riffraff, since it's open to all WBEZ members. The schadenfreude was real last time.

Kisaya

Triple post!

If any of you folks are going to be near downtown later, Wait Wait! Don't Tell Me is doing another free live show at the Pritzker Pavilion. The last time they did this was a couple years ago, it was a great time (Chance ended up being their secret guest). The show starts at 7, but last time over 15,000 people showed up and they had to turn a lot of them away, so I'd recommend trying to get there by 6 at the latest. I'll probably be going around 5/5:30.

As a bonus, you'll also get to see super crusty rich people complaining about having to share VIP seating (i.e. the area with seats) with the riffraff, since it's open to all WBEZ members. The schadenfreude was real last time.

Me and Sai-kun were thinking of going to this but unfortunately I have a work event this evening :/ would have been fun!

Sai-kun

Banned
Triple post!

man, i shoulda posted about it here :( i woulda gone with you since saya is busy. enjoy!

i've been to two wait wait tapings and they're always super fun. i can't imagine how exciting a show in millennium park will be!

SOME-MIST

Wife and I got in last time but it was waaay too crowded. We typically go to the MP concerts but this was by far the biggest crowd we had seen.

oh I hear ya. and those concerts are badass! I showed up just on time for jaga jazzist this year and was sitting 5th row in the middle.

I also wanted to go to gregory porter but missed out...

Viewt

man, i shoulda posted about it here :( i woulda gone with you since saya is busy. enjoy!

i've been to two wait wait tapings and they're always super fun. i can't imagine how exciting a show in millennium park will be!

Next time!

And it was a great show! Bill Kurtis got a standing ovation for opening with "I'm Bill Kurtis and I don't care what kind of person you are - you're welcome in MY Army!"

The special guest was Ryan Dempster, who was OK. Depends on how much you're into baseball, I'd imagine.

It ended up being a lot less chaotic than last time. A lot more people showed up early, but it didn't get nearly as insane as 2015 and I don't think they had to turn anyone away. The wine was flowing, though - lots of drunk pedestrians wandering around looking for the Red/Blue lines afterwards haha.

Overall, I enjoyed last night even more than their 2015 Millennium Park show.

Viewt

Unseasonably chilly today. I got up at 6 to take the dog out, and once I was outside, I was too stubborn to go back upstairs and put on a sweater, so I just powered through it in a t-shirt and shorts. Today's the first day I've worn jeans to work in like two months.

We got to hang out on a rooftop terrace at the Lyric Opera House for a work thing the other day.

DFLRNOm_d.jpg

mDGf5fK_d.jpg

uvPFY5G_d.jpg

Unseasonably chilly today. I got up at 6 to take the dog out, and once I was outside, I was too stubborn to go back upstairs and put on a sweater, so I just powered through it in a t-shirt and shorts. Today's the first day I've worn jeans to work in like two months.

I love it.

Who wears shorts to work? Or did you mean slacks.

Viewt

Clearly the thing you've gotta do is hide in the alley in the mornings, waiting for him to come out one day to throw away some garbage, and then bombard him with your rendition of You'll Be Back.

"HEY YOU!"
"Hm, what?"
"♪YOOOOUUUU SAAAY, THE PRICE OF MY LOVE'S NOT A PRICE THAT YOU'RE WILLING TO PAAAAY-♪"
"Oh, heh, cool, yeah, tha-"
"♪YOOOOU CRYYYYY♪"
"Yeah, you don't have t-"
"♪IN YOUR TEA WHICH YOU HURL IN THE SEA WHEN YOU SEE ME GO BY♪"
"Okay, I get it, that's very n-"
"♪WHY SO SAD? REMEMBER WE MADE AN ARRANGEMENT WHEN YOU WENT AWAY♪"
*runs away*
*running after him* "♪NOW YOU'RE MAKING ME MAD♪"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone here seen the Chicago Hamilton? I'm weighing whether to take a second mortgage and go with my wife and daughter in December.

Anyone here seen the Chicago Hamilton? I'm weighing whether to take a second mortgage and go with my wife and daughter in December.

Yeah saw it a while back when Wayne Brady was playing Burr. My actual appreciation was limited due to the roughly 300 pound woman sitting next to me who was spilling into my seat and who decided that she would sing along with every single number in the first half.

Otherwise, it's a great production but obviously different than the Broadway recording. Hell, I think Karen Olivo's Angelica (who won a Tony for West Side Story before moving to Wisconsin then fading into the limelight) was actually MORE powerful than Goldsberry's original interpretation which wasn't a slouch by any means.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wayne Brady as Burr sounds great. My only wish would have been to see the original Lafayette/Jefferson actor, he's my favorite.

Anyone interested in seeing the Lords of Acid on Halloween? I have tickets but it looks like I might have to be in DC for work that week.

Top Bottom