• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chief magazine covering GTA V next week with no new screenshots or details

TedNindo

It's a poor game with high production values.

Reasoning:

- Terrible cover system
- Last gen checkpoint/save system
- Cars/bikes handle poorly
- Tedious map traversal
- Tedious accrual of weaponry
- Map terrain too congested
- Map terrain not varied enough

If anyone would like to refute the above claims, have at it.

A lot of those were actually an improvement over San Andreas.

And this might be the first time that I buy Chief. Even though I'm Belgian.

It's a poor game with high production values.

Reasoning:

- Terrible cover system
- Last gen checkpoint/save system
- Cars/bikes handle poorly
- Tedious map traversal
- Tedious accrual of weaponry
- Map terrain too congested
- Map terrain not varied enough

Rebutal:
- early cover system, kinks, you know.
- patched.
- show me a GTA game where they don't.
- I don't know what this means. You "traverse" the map no differently than any othe GTA game.
- direct me to another GTA where this was different.
- sorry country boy, but this is suppose to be a parody of NYC.
- not enough cheese heads???????

DarkChild

Banned
Lol at people complaining about shooting in GTAIV. Yes, it wasn't perfect, it was 4 years ago. Yes, cover wasn't all that great either but try to play SA and tell me how ya doin. I've been playing it last week and maaaan that game has sucky shooting. Even for last gen I would say.

LEGGZZZZ

GTA4 Was a major disappointment for me, especially in the gun play department. What I'm most excited about is how much more improved the shooting cover mechanics will be, they improved greatly in Red Dead Redemption & look incredible in Max Payne 3. Just hope those improves transfer over to GTAV.

Rebutal:
- early cover system, kinks, you know.
- patched.
- show me a GTA game where they don't.
- I don't know what this means. You "traverse" the map no differently than any othe GTA game.
- direct me to another GTA where this was different.
- sorry country boy, but this is suppose to be a parody of NYC.
- not enough cheese heads???????

Regarding the checkpoint system, I don't think that it was ever fixed in the original game but in the DLC they were done much better.

Pandemic

I'd die if it were to be a April Fools joke.. But it'd have to be released on Sunday next week for it to be within ''next week'' and in April.

ZoddGutts

Hoping GTAIV is at least The Ballad of Gay Tony good. Can't take another GTA game that is boring as GTAIV vanilla. At least Ballad of Gay Tony brought the fun back.

daviyoung

Banned
if i wanted a racing sim, i'd buy a racing sim.

but I'm buying a crime drama game... driving should be easy or have the option to be easy.

controlling a horse in RDR isn't a fucking chore.

No, you're buying a Grand Theft Auto game. Driving in GTAIV is the best driving in any open world game, it's only annoying because you think you're in a fancy-looking go kart. Step back and take your time, you'll realise it's the future.

Hmmm if this is true the game must be on target for this year while were here i saw this post on now gamer not worth making a new thread and of course pinches of salt on the content.

Okay, this is just me rambling but whatever.

I've been playing through GTAIV vanilla the past few days, and I just recently got to the Three Leaf Clover mission, which is pretty much an homage to the movie Heat. With this rumor of them trying to really flesh out gun combat and Max Payne 3 right around the corner, I'm curious to see if this is just the GTA game for them to truly succeed in a visceral/realistic/dramatic sense. Hell, in the first trailer we even see a heist scene with some characters in exterminator outfits, reminiscent to Heat and Point Break.

GTAIV attempted these things, and I believe, did them pretty well. With MP3, the gun combat seems seriously amazing and if this carries over, at least partly, to GTAV, I can't wait. I'm excited just for it being GTAV, but I'm also super excited to see just what all changes Rockstar has made to the Grand Theft Auto formula since IV and expansions. Personally, if the on foot combat and movement is just as tight as MP3 seems to be, added to some refinements to the car physics/euphoria stuff, this game may be even better than I'm expecting.

Needless to say, I'm super pumped to get any new details regardless, and I absolutely can't wait for our next glimpse at it.

Tenck

Only time GTAIV was decent was with the expansions/DLC(whatever you want to call it).

I finished the game two times already and it still feels like the worst GTA out of the main console ones.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GTAIV was a terrible sandbox game mission wise, hopefully V delivers here. And for the love of christ make a protagonist that isn't as terrible as Nico.

Fjordson

We already forgot how terrible GTA4 was?
If by "terrible" you mean open-world masterpiece, then yes!

I'm dying for any new info. Really have a feeling Rockstar is going to pull out all the stops for this. Though I'm a little surprised that this may be the world exclusive venue R* chose.

BigDug13

There was an amazing First Person View mod that someone created, then Rockstar patched and it became unusable. I really wanted to see the city from the eyes of the main character. Really changes the perspective and your feeling of being a part of the city. The videos I saw was really impressive. The cars had interiors and you could drive with view from behind the wheel and everything.

Did anyone ever create another mod like that?

BoomBap

Neo Member
I LOVED the driving in GTA4. Best part of the game. I would play for hours just cruising around listing to the radio. I really don't understand those who don't care for it. However I would support adjustable handling parameters for 5.

I know I'm dreaming big but imagine Forza levels of driving asset control! I drool at the thought of "simy" driving controls in GTA. Keep it scalable and everyone is happy.Would that really be so hard?

satriales

San Andreas was my favourite GTA city, but I've explored that area now, so I don't want to go back there for GTA5. Why couldn't they just create a new city?

Fjordson

San Andreas was my favourite GTA city, but I've explored that area now, so I don't want to go back there for GTA5. Why couldn't they just create a new city?
Eh, I don't think it'll be a problem. GTA V's San Andreas probably won't have much in common with the PS2 rendition.

I'm betting it'll be similar to the jump from III to IV. Liberty City in IV was completely different from LC in III.

Mitama

Lol, they never said anything about new information. The editor of Chief saying "the first GTA V cover" doesn't imply that the cover story will contain details that weren't known yet. Here's what it says on the cover: "The first images!", "The mystery unraveled!", "Los Santos mapped" and "Who's gonna be the next Niko Bellic?".

Bummer:

http://playnation.de/news,id38441,grand-theft-auto-v-keine-enthuellung-april.html

It basically says no news in Chief magazine. Just a simple rundown of what´s known so far.
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Lol, they never said anything about new information. The editor of Chief saying "the first GTA V cover" doesn't imply that the cover story will contain details that weren't known yet. Here's what it says on the cover: "The first images!", "The mystery unraveled!", "Los Santos mapped" and "Who's gonna be the next Niko Bellic?".
I think you could argue those quotes you mention imply that there is new information. Pretty lame of that magazine if you ask me.

Martian

Hyped for this game, never heard of Chief before, though.
GTA IV didn't live up the standards, it was crazy enough and I thought it was a rash move to go from 3 cities + countryside to 1 extremely large city without countryside. I played 2/3 of the mission before realising I actually hated them and was just trying to finish it because I started it.

Stoked for GTA V though! This will be awesome!

Rockstar had 4 years between San Andreas and GTA4. Don't use that as an excuse when you cock up and bork every gameplay mechanic possible. If you cannot better your game in a FOUR YEAR TIME FRAME you deserve to be universally panned as a hack. I won't even get into GTAIVs horrid pacing, story and lack of anything to meaningfully engage the player. The game was a disaster on every front and an embarrassment to the medium.

Loxley

If GTAV has Max Payne 3-esque combat....mother of God....

Shut up, I can dream

*edit - Ah yes, good to that GAF's seething hatred for GTAIV is still alive and well.

Top Bottom