• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese company cancels kickstarter for "Ouye" console due to negative feedback

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is this thread worthy?

CNXmRiWXAAErpRL.jpg:large

Anyway, remember the Ouye? The knock off console that looked like a PS4, had the controller of the XB1 and had the name similar to the failed Ouya. Well they were about to start a KickStarter asking for $15,000 to support the manufacture and sale of their product.

But they received a very very strong backlash from Chinese consumers who accused them of plagiarism. Then I posted the news on my twitter and it blew up in the West with numerous news outlets making fun of the console.

A lot of Chinese media sites picked up on this and used it to further their arguments that what this company was doing was wrong and that it made China look bad to foreigners, especially as you could actually get a PS4 and XB1 in China and this company was just trying to cash in on that success in too much of a blatant way.

The company, whilst trying to defend its product have now gone silent and the kickstarter page has disappeared. Ah well.

Original NeoGAF thread

Stevey

And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously though $15,000 is a pittance to mass produce a console.

NeOak

And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously though $15,000 is a pittance to mass produce a console.
This was more in line with a Famiclone kind of system using cheap smartphone parts.

I guess the company thought we were in 1999 or something and that people wouldn't notice.

God damnit, I was looking forward to the Ashens video...

Oh well. Weird though, that's definitely not the first (nor the last) time this happens. I guess it was a little too blatant, maybe? =X

ElRenoRaven

Damn it. I was looking so forward to it. I was so gonna import one damn it. This is why we can't have nice things. You copy a few minor little things and everyone attacks and just destroys you with this internet mob mentality.

sniff sniff

Steroyd

Holy shit, that is one hell of a shameless ripoff.

Looks like a PlayStation. Controls like a Xbox sounds like a Ouya... And I assume it emulates Nintendo games lol.

The Argus

But they spent 6 months on that incredible design ;(

I wonder what the margins are like on something like this.

With the specs of a shitty throwaway Android device, probably not much. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they somehow acquired some PS4 pre production casts for the console body itself.

Top Bottom