• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese man caught with 500 imprisoned cats destined for restaurants

Lubricus

If I ever go to China, I'm sticking to vegetables and noodles only.

BEIJING - In China, it is legal to eat cats and dogs. Even so, ordinary people reacted with alarm this week as news broke of a Chinese man caught with 500 cats, crowded into tiny cages, which he intended to sell to restaurants.

The man had used sparrows and caged birds to lure both stray cats and domestic ones in the city of Jiujiang in southern Jiangsu province, the 163.com and news.ifeng.com websites reported.

Many of the cats were found in cages in the back of a small truck, some near death and mewing faintly in the heat, while others were recovered in a hut near a highway, cooled only by a ceiling fan. The man usually sold the cats for around 30 yuan ($4.40) each, the report said citing a local policeman.

The man, identified only as Sun, was arrested Sunday after another man complained to police that someone had been stealing his pets, including a mother nursing five kittens. Police said that if no owners came forward, they would just release the 500 cats, the report said.
And:
Meanwhile, activists said they had evidence that French-owned supermarket chain Carrefour continued to sell dog meat in China.

Animals Asia said investigations carried out in 2016 and 2017 found that two branches of Carrefour in the Chinese city of Xuzhou were openly selling dog meat products. The animal welfare group said Carrefour, which has over 10,000 stores across Europe, had assured them in 2012 they would stop selling such products.

But its investigators said the stores contained numerous dog meat products, such as "turtle-juiced dog meat" which costs about $20 for 2 pounds. There was no immediate response from Carrefour.

"Turtle-juiced dog meat" ???? Yuk!

http://www.ajc.com/news/world/chinese-man-caught-with-500-imprisoned-cats-destined-for-restaurants/k40eMTNgM4XxjimJKh237H/

KingV

When I was in China the food was delicious. That means cat and dog is delicious. I am ok with that.

.JayZii

Banned
Stealing people's pets is fucked up.

Honestly, though, I don't think I find strays being killed and eaten more objectionable than them just being killed and disposed of anyway. Somehow I don't think China is super invested in rescue shelters. As long as everything is on the up and up and people know what they're eating, of course.

WTF?! I thought the eating cats and dogs thing was just racist bullshit. China you got problems.

It's a stereotype so yes it is racist. All stereotypes have an origin. A small percentage of Chinese people eat cats and dogs. Some also eat lots of bugs. But its the minority.

"China" is a pretty big country, you know. One guy in one province in one city caught doing this doesn't mean you can't eat meat in "China" anymore, Jesus Christ.

Growing up in a western​ country, I couldn't really bring myself to eat dog or cat. (Plus I'm allergic to cats so I don't know how that would work with ingesting them?). This guy catching strays and people's pets is super messed up though. I thought there were farms to provide their meat?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I mean I have cats and I love cats, but how is this different than than eating pigs?

He stole the pets.
This was a problem when I lived in Vietnam as well. Pieces of human shit would steal peoples cats and dogs, sometimes snatch them right off the street when being walked. They ride by on motorbikes, and drag the owner until they let go, or hit the dog with a stub gun and ride off with it. Then they'd sell them to places that would torture them before they died because they believed fear made the meat tender. The criminals who do this are sub human fuckstains.

Growing up in a western​ country, I couldn't really bring myself to eat dog or cat. (Plus I'm allergic to cats so I don't know how that would work with ingesting them?). This guy catching strays and people's pets is super messed up though. I thought there were farms to provide their meat?

There are less and less because most Chinese dont eat cats and dogs. If you wanna eat dogmeat in Beijing, you gotta drive out quite far into the countryside, because such a restaurant couldnt survive in downtown due to the backlash.

Wood Man

So if no one comes forward to claim their pets is releasing them all a good idea? Sounds like they were in horrible living conditions. I'm sure a lot of them are in bad shape and suffering.

ITT: casual racism against Chinese people.

Did you know that there are villages in Switzerland where people eat dog too? Or that there are dog eating cultures all throughout Africa, Asia and South America? And that maybe, with a population of 1.4 billion people (more than all of Europe and North America combined), you might have different regions with different culinary practices, and you shouldn't label all Chinese people "dog and cat eaters"?

GTFO with that "only eating vegetables and noodles in China" xenophobic bullshit.

I just hugged and kissed both my little ones.

db3SRmU.jpg

Kinda shit backwards shit is that, eating cats and dogs being legal?

Blizzard

Banned
The problem here isn't eating cats and dogs, the problem is him stealing pets and torturing / killing them inhumanely in tiny cages and heat.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't want to get to the morality of eating cats and dogs but the way they were kept probably meant the hygiene is terrible.

I just hugged and kissed both my little ones.

db3SRmU.jpg

Kinda shit backwards shit is that, eating cats and dogs being legal?

Cool story bro. Better hold them tight or the Chinese dude in your neighborhood is gonna steal them and make some stew.

Do you eat other kinds of meat? If you're vegetarian, do you tell your peers that eat meat that they are "backwards"? You think there's a difference between eating different kind of animals just because one species is cuter than the other?

Your happy eating animals kept in those sort of conditions?

What are you trying to say? Because he ate meat in China he's condoning cat and dog eating kept in inhumane conditions?

The problem here isn't eating cats and dogs, the problem is him stealing pets and torturing / killing them inhumanely in tiny cages and heat.

One of the only sane posts in this thread. Yea, the Chinese guy was a nutjob, and he's hopefully going to get punished for his behavior. However, OP injected the thread with a racist and xenophobic tone in the first place by saying shit like he's only going to "eat vegetables and noodles in China". Like seriously?

It's a stereotype so yes it is racist. All stereotypes have an origin. A small percentage of Chinese people eat cats and dogs. Some also eat lots of bugs. But its the minority.

But the Yulin Dog Meat festival seems to refute that as it's big enough. Granted there has been more and more of a backlash so there seems to be some crackdown. Also, I think the Op had something in there about a French grocery store still selling dog meat 5 years after saying they would stop so business is good enough that they are willing to take the PR hit.

Edit: Sorry not the stereotype part, the percentage part. The group is large enough that there is a festival and foreign firms are willing to risk the PR hit for the economic gain. Not advocating stereotyping just saying that the size of the populace that partakes seems to be larger than what was implied in the comment I responded to.

UrbanRats

That's clearly not the case for several folks in this thread, which is bollocks of course, since pigs are smart, rabbits are perfect pet animals, etc.

Cool story bro. Better hold them tight or the Chinese dude in your neighborhood is gonna steal them and make some stew.

Do you eat other kinds of meat? If you're vegetarian, do you tell your peers that eat meat that they are "backwards"? You think there's a difference between eating different kind of animals just because one species is cuter than the other?

As a matter fact I have two Chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of my residence at either end, 3 if I expand it to 8 blocks. And yes I eat beef and pork, but here where I'm from 🇺🇸, dogs are a man's best friend. We don't eat dogs or cats or hamsters. And yea I should be wary of the Chinese dude maybe. Apple sticks are good tho.

They look delicious.

Hahahaha. Never thought of my dogs as food but yea sure, w.e. works for folks.

Top Bottom