• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese man caught with 500 imprisoned cats destined for restaurants

It's one thing to raise them humanely as livestock animals for consumption. It is another thing altogether to steal people's pets and torture them with this inhumane cruelty (i.e., conditions they were found in).

Basketball

Eating cats and dogs

That is fucked up
Yes I am born and raised in the Us
I don't give a fuck that shit is gross

Side note. I remember a YouTube video of a restaurant in Asia where they were eating a giant turtle through it's back while it was alive. Everything is fair game I guess.

wandering

Banned
Screw off pal, I am not a racist. Perhaps stop being so offended by everything?

200_s.gif

You can find restaurants all over China and Vietnam that sell dog and cat meat. As well as meat from a variety of endangered animals like pangolin. You just need to know where to go and what to ask for. It helps to have a local with you. I had a place on my block that would serve you just about anything as long as you had the money and they thought you'd be discreet about it. This wasn't some shithole place or hidden away. It was a nice, clean, and modern restaurant. But the fact remains most people don't eat any of that in those countries, it's too expensive, not as tasty, and as pet ownership becomes more common, people are less likely to see eating either animal as necessary or desirable.

That said, again, the issue isn't eating dog or cat, it's the theft of people's pets. And with animals like pangolins it's the idiocy of eating something so close to extinction. Don't deplete your food source or remove a part of the ecosystem so you can brag about eating something weird. And despite all of that meat being eaten by a small percent of the population, that's still enough to prompt a dangerous and illegal market that affects people's lives.

I agree man. That's why I said 99% of the restaurants don't serve it - 1% still do, and that's a lot of fucking restaurants in China. It's definitely a problem, and the utilization of endangered species in medicines and food is definitely backwards and barbaric.

Just like you said, however, the average person doesn't participate in it. It's like pointing out the big game hunters who hunt endangered animals (*cough* Trump's sons) and then use that to expound on the moral depravity of people in the West. I can't stand it when people say shit like "gotta avoid the meat in China" and "here in the US my dog Fifi is my best friend" and don't realize just how racist they are being.

Eating cats and dogs

That is fucked up
Yes I am born and raised in the Us
I don't give a fuck that shit is gross

Side note. I remember a YouTube video of a restaurant in Asia where they were eating a giant turtle through it's back while it was alive. Everything is fair game I guess.

Yo I saw pictures on the internet that your President's son goes to Africa to shoot up lions and elephants. White people be crazy man, just real barbaric. Everything is fair game I guess.

UrbanRats

As a matter fact I have two Chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of my residence at either end, 3 if I expand it to 8 blocks. And yes I eat beef and pork, but here where I'm from 🇺🇸, dogs are a man's best friend. We don't eat dogs or cats or hamsters. And yea I should be wary of the Chinese dude maybe. Apple sticks are good tho.
Alright, the flag got me, lmao.

I'm suggesting it SHOULD be the problem for those people. Whether you like cats or not, they shouldn't be tortured or stolen.
Yeah, i think we can all agree on that.

T.O.P

Banned
Yo I saw pictures on the internet that your President's son goes to Africa to shoot up lions and elephants. White people be crazy man, just real barbaric. Everything is fair game I guess.

...only thing i got from this post is that we should start eating white people or some shit?

...only thing i got from this post is that we should start eating white people or some shit?

Sorry, not the greatest example. I'm just trying to say that it ain't right to judge a culture by the actions of a few fucked up individuals doing unsavory things that you can find pictures or videos of on the internet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The dog eaters also beat them on their heads until their unconscious. I can't stand it.

Could you imagine doing that to your own pet? I can't. I don't get why they do it. Some people just hate dogs.

I watched the PETA video that went around and investigated it and the footage is hard to watch. I always think of someone killing a dog violently and then some happy family walking into a restaurant to eat some dog. It's sickening.

Those poor cats.

Again, it's different because these people are choosing between abducting the neighbor's pet or working at the Foxconn 16 hours a day. This is why it shouldn't be legal.

I agree, people seem to have no problem making borderline racist or insensitive comments when this topic comes up. I remember not too long ago Tesco here in the UK got in big trouble for (unknowingly I think?) selling horse meat instead of pig/cows/whatever so I'd wager many countries aren't as squeaky clean as people make them out to be.
The big issue here was that the horse meat in question wasn't labelled as such, and further came from animals that were not intended for human consumption, and thus contained remnants of medicine and other substances not legal in food.

Anyway, a traditional sausage that was a favourite of mine growing up contained some horse meat. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Again, it's different because these people are choosing between abducting the neighbor's pet or working at the Foxconn 16 hours a day. This is why it shouldn't be legal.

Thank you for your truly piercing insight into Chinese society. I'm glad you empathize with the plight of the poor Chinese factory worker, who's only chance at social mobility is to engage in the dangerous but sometimes lucrative pet meat trade.

Did you know that Jackie Chan used to steal pets in his neighborhood in Hong Kong before he became a Kung Fu superstar? He learned all his parkour moves from breaking into people's homes and became a renown street fighter after defeating all the rival cat stealing gangs in hand to hand combat.

Exceptionally isolated incident if true in a country of 1.3 billion.

Story doesnt make sense though at the price of $4.40 per cat, you can get a whole chicken at half that price that has a lot more meat on it.

WTF is an apple stick?

To be fair, the old Asian place in my town got raided by the police and shut down when they found a freezer full of dead cats and dogs they had caught and stolen. So while I would hope it's exceedingly rare it does happen.

Ahh, the old Asian place.
This sounds like something you heard at the playground and has been repeated enough that you think it's a fact. Would love to see a link to a news story.

I agree, people seem to have no problem making borderline racist or insensitive comments when this topic comes up.

Casual racism against Asians has always been more acceptable because our culture is just so foreign and incomprehensible to other people that we might as well be aliens from another planet. Also we look and talk funny and write in moon runes and shit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ITT: casual racism against Chinese people.

Did you know that there are villages in Switzerland where people eat dog too? Or that there are dog eating cultures all throughout Africa, Asia and South America? And that maybe, with a population of 1.4 billion people (more than all of Europe and North America combined), you might have different regions with different culinary practices, and you shouldn't label all Chinese people "dog and cat eaters"?

GTFO with that "only eating vegetables and noodles in China" xenophobic bullshit.
ITT casual whatabouttism.

If China, as a country, wants to shake the perception that they're ok with eating cats and dogs they should ban the practice. Or at least stop the dog meat festival. Is dog so tasty that people can't resist a big doggy cookout? Bitching about Switzerland isn't going to get anything accomplished. At least Taiwan is getting shit done.

I can't possibly spoil my pets enough.
You'd probably get a better market price if they were fresh.

ITT casual whatabouttism.

If China, as a country, wants to shake the perception that they're ok with eating cats and dogs they should ban the practice. Or at least stop the dog meat festival. Is dog so tasty that people can't resist a big doggy cookout? Bitching about Switzerland isn't going to get anything accomplished. At least Taiwan is getting shit done.

You'd probably get a better market price if they were fresh.

Get the fuck out here with this kind of racist bullshit. Honestly, it's not my business and none of your business what these people choose or choose not to eat. Don't try to enforce your idiotic set of values on Chinese people. You don't get to choose what is morally superior or not.

If you want to make comments about "big doggy cookouts" go ahead. You're a fucking racist.

Sarek

Most people here don't any problems eating pigs even though they are on average smarter animals than cats. I guess they aren't as cute though.

Most people here don't any problems eating pigs even though they are on average smarter animals than cats. I guess they aren't as cute though.

See the second post at the top of the page.

Last I checked the pigs we eat aren't pet pigs stolen from neighbors or whatever.

If they had factories dedicated to mass produce cat meat from "cat cattle" no one would give a shit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Get the fuck out here with this kind of racist bullshit. Honestly, it's not my business and none of your business what these people choose or choose not to eat. Don't try to enforce your idiotic set of values on Chinese people. You don't get to choose what is morally superior or not.

If you want to make comments about "big doggy cookouts" go ahead. You're a fucking racist.
It has absolutely nothing to do with race. China has no laws or regulations against people eating dog and cat meat or celebrating the fact that they enjoy eating dog and cat meat. And there's nothing wrong with people criticizing the lack of a cat and dog meat ban.

Claiming that the criticism is racism is just another form of deflection. Complaining that other countries do the same thing is another form of deflection. It shows intellectual dishonesty on your part.

It has absolutely nothing to do with race. China has no laws or regulations against people eating dog and cat meat or celebrating the fact that they enjoy eating dog and cat meat. And there's nothing wrong with people criticizing the lack of a cat and dog meat ban.

Claiming that the criticism is racism is just another form of deflection. Complaining that other countries do the same thing is another form of deflection. It shows intellectual dishonesty on your part.

Guess what, 44 US states also don't have laws against eating dog or cat meat. Just like the US, "China" is not one monolithic entity. It in fact is a very large nation consisting of 1.4 billion people who have distinct regional cultures and identities. Not everyone eats dog, not even close to a large minority, so labeling all Chinese as "dog eaters" who engage in "big doggy cookouts" is, in fact, racist. It's the same kind of stereotyping and profiling behavior that causes American police officers to abuse minority populations across the United States, just because of a few bad apples.

I've had to deal with racists like you who felt like calling me a "dog eater" before just because they wanted to feel morally superior. Guess what, I'm calling you out for what that kind of behavior is: racist. If you're to engage in that kind of "intellectually dishonest" behavior, then you better deal with being labeled as racist as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Guess what, 44 US states also don't have laws against eating dog or cat meat. Just like the US, "China" is not one monolithic entity. It in fact is a very large nation consisting of 1.4 billion people who have distinct regional cultures and identities. Not everyone eats dog, not even close to a large minority, so labeling all Chinese as "dog eaters" who engage in "big doggy cookouts" is, in fact, racist. It's the same kind of stereotyping and profiling behavior that causes American police officers to abuse minority populations across the United States, just because of a few bad apples.

I've had to deal with racists like you who felt like calling me a "dog eater" before just because they wanted to feel morally superior. Guess what, I'm calling you out for what that kind of behavior is: racist. If you're to engage in that kind of "intellectually dishonest" behavior like, then you better deal with being labeled as racist as well.
I never called you a dog eater. I pointed out that the lack of laws in China against eating cats and dogs is a problem. In addition to the animal cruelty involved in the process. The racism claim is a straw man.

Eating cats and dogs is culturally unacceptable in the US, laws or not. But to shore things up, US Congress is floating the Dog and Cat Meat Prohibition Act of 2017. Taiwan recently passed a ban as well. I think people should campaign for China to do the same thing so you people like you don't have to deal with the perception that it's a culturally accepted practice in China. That was the entire point of my argument.

EYEL1NER

Police said that if no owners came forward, they would just release the 500 cats, the report said.

Pretty shitty story, what with him stealing people's pets. People would show me stories in the paper when I was in Korea about stuff like some guy getting caught stealing high-end expensive dog breeds so he could eat them or whatever, and even though I'm not a pet person I always felt bad that people's pets were being stolen and eaten. I know people get really attached to their pets and develop a bond with them, so it has to be pretty crushing.

I never called you a dog eater. I pointed out that the lack of laws in China against eating cats and dogs is a problem. In addition to the animal cruelty involved in the process. The racism claim is a straw man.

Eating cats and dogs is culturally unacceptable in the US, laws or not. But to shore things up, US Congress is floating the Dog and Cat Meat Prohibition Act of 2017. Taiwan recently passed a ban as well. I think people should campaign for China to do the same thing so you people like you don't have to deal with the perception that it's a culturally accepted practice in China. That was the entire point of my argument.

The fact that you would say something like "Is dog so tasty that Chinese people can't resist having big doggy cookouts" is racist enough.

China doesn't care that a minority of its population wants to eat dog. It doesn't care that eating dog is culturally unacceptable in the West, because guess what, it doesn't need to adopt Western practices for everything. The fact that you are so condescending towards Chinese people for eating dog in the first place shows your ethnocentrism and ignorance.

What the Chinese government needs to do more of is ensure that the dogs that are consumed are treated as humanely as possible, and ensure that people who steal pets to sell are also punished. The Yulin Dog Meat Festival was definitely inhumane in some of the ways that the dogs were slaughtered, and was thus rightfully banned. China does not need to ban all dog eating to please your fragile Western sensibilities. What you need to do, however, is to stop shaming China and Chinese people for the cultural practices of a small minority of its population.

Alienfan

This thread sort of reminds me of this story where police were called to investigate this house that had reports of animal abuse, they found the rabbits in dire condition and were about to charge the man until he said that he used them for food and they were not his pets. That for whatever reason made it okay, and the police left. People arbitrarily deciding which animals should give a shit about / not eat continues to be ridiculous. Eating a cat or a dog is still significantly less fucked up than eating bacon, but not according to some of the mental gymnastics in this thread.

Izuna

Banned
This thread sort of reminds me of this story where police were called to investigate this house that had reports of animal abuse, they found the rabbits in dire condition and were about to charge the man until he said that he used them for food and they were not his pets. That for whatever reason made it okay, and the police left. People arbitrarily deciding which animals should give a shit about / not eat continues to be ridiculous. Eating a cat or a dog is still significantly less fucked up than eating bacon, but not according to some of the comments in this thread.

Were the rabbits in boiling water? Because if I were the officer I'd ask if I could have some.

rabbit stew is fucking incredible

--

But why is bacon fucked up?

n0razi

Also, I don;t have a problem with people eating cats and dogs are restaurants serving them but stealing pets and keeping them alive in those conditions is whats wrong. Same with beef and chicken.

Top Bottom