• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese man caught with 500 imprisoned cats destined for restaurants

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh, the American meat industry is terrible. Anyone here could make a thread about how bad it is and I would agree wholeheartedly. America has to either fix that or own it. But criticizing the American meat industry isn't an attack on America or Americans. That's my main point here.

Dude, you started this whole argument by saying Chinese people can't resist a big doggy cookout, lol

post-S

I’ve always thought the argument that cute animal shouldn't be served as food is quite hypocritical.

I mean young chicken are probably the cutest animal I've seen yet people eat them all the time.
poussin.jpg

LordKasual

Banned
I've always thought the argument that cute animal shouldn't be served as food is quite hypocritical.

true story

chicks are adorable AF

but give em a few years and ho boy, are they tasty

I would like to try cat at some point. Can't see myself going to China any time soon though.

I'd love to eat some German Shepard

fucking hate those violent little pieces of shit

probably taste like old tuna and hatred

Kyuur

The amount he sells them for speaks volumes to the stray issue they probably have there. I wonder if fixing cats is uncommon over there.

ZarKryn7

Oh, the American meat industry is terrible. Anyone here could make a thread about how bad it is and I would agree wholeheartedly. America has to either fix that or own it. But criticizing the American meat industry isn't an attack on America or Americans. That's my main point here.

Didn't you say Chinese people love their doggy cookouts?

WP2Ud2j.gif

Backpedaling to the maximum indeed.

Zok310

Banned
Outta all the flesh on the earth to eat some in China choose a dog or cat. What I wanna know is where do they draw the line? Fitting to ask what the fuck won't some of them eat at this point.

I've always thought the argument that cute animal shouldn't be served as food is quite hypocritical.

how so? neotenous features and a capacity for affection are innately appreciated by humans, as is the concept of suffering being the worst possible experience of a living creature.
Going out of your way to pretend you're hardcore and don't care just makes me think you're either trying too hard to impress....someone? or just lack empathy, not specifically toward the animals, but toward people who don't find it appealing at all.

Says the vegetarian ?

when did this get a negative connotation?

Grazzt

Pretty sure no one in China wants to eat cats as it is said that cat meat has a disgusting taste.
I think those restaurants are trying to serve cheap cat meat to customers as beef/pork/lamb. After being processed with spice and such, it's really hard to tell. I've read news about restaurants using rat meat for such purpose.

Ashhong

They sell live cats? I don't even want to think about how the restaurants "prep" the animals...

Also, I want to see the video of 500 cats escaping at once

LiK

FYI, not everyone eats dogs and cats in China. It's like saying all Americans eat deer and rabbits. Not everyone is into that like the usual meats.

vern

how so? neotenous features and a capacity for affection are innately appreciated by humans, as is the concept of suffering being the worst possible experience of a living creature.
Going out of your way to pretend you're hardcore and don't care just makes me think you're either trying too hard to impress....someone? or just lack empathy, not specifically toward the animals, but toward people who don't find it appealing at all.

when did this get a negative connotation?

I used to be vegetarian myself for 4+ years. Not saying anything wrong with it... I'm saying how is he talking about "drawing a line" on what animals Chinese can eat, like some animals are more worthy of being slaughtered for grub than other animals? If you are gonna eat meat then any animal is fair game besides endangered things I would think. But even then I guess that's debatable. Eat meat or don't, but don't act morally superior because you don't eat dog while at the same time you eat other meats.

Apath

Are you for real? Something being legal doesn't mean everyone is does it.

Gun ownership is legal in America, so are all Americans gun wielding maniacs?
I don't know about all Americans being maniacs, but considering something like 40% of Americans own guns, I wouldn't consider that insignificant whatsoever.

Meanwhile, I feel that killing a dog to eat it would be considered animal cruelty here. Is there no law against consuming dog in general? Because I'd be very surprised if it were legal to kill a dog to eat it.
I'll eat livestock but I won't eat anything domesticated. I think there is a difference between livestock and domesticated.
All livestock have been domesticated. Unless you're trying to say that some animals are domesticated for food and some for companionship, which I think is agreeable.

I ate horse once, it was good. A lot of places eat horse, goat, whatever. Pigs are hella cute, smart, and are raised to be dependent on people. They're also delicious and eaten without a second thought. I try not to be too judgy about what other people are eating, as long as it's not endangered or someone's fucking pet (or being served without the diner's full knowledge of what they're eating). What this dude did was so, so wrong.

Top Bottom