• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiptunes |OT| Not just for games anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

c18IJ.gif

Welcome to the official topic for Chiptunes here on NeoGAF. Chiptunes are a style of music that's growing steadily in popularity and influence and it's high time we had thread to discuss them here on GAF.

A chiptune is a piece of music that makes use of or emulated versions of the soundchips found in classic computer and video game systems. The Nintendo Entertainment System, GameBoy, and Commodore computers are popular "instruments" in this genre of music.

More and more chiptune artists are taking their works to the stage, performing tours and shows at conventions. It's a growing phenomenon and its fanbase is swelling at pretty quick pace. I hope this thread can help raise awareness of one my favorite styles of music.

XP8Pw.png

I've put together a short list of prolific and/or upcoming chiptune artists and included three songs by each. They're awesome -- definitely listen to them! More can be added to the list if requested -- just leave it in the topic or PM me.

PGVuv.png

Virt - Official site
If you've played Contra 4 or Bloodrayne Betrayal, then you're already familiar with Jake Kaufman's work. There's a good reason he was hand-picked for the soundtrack in the upcoming old-school-lovefest Retro City Rampage. You haven't lived until you've heard double-bass from a 2A03.

bmE2G.gif

Disasterpeace - Official site
A one-man composing machine, Rich Vreeland has created his own unique catalog of music, while crafting soundtracks for games like FEZ, Puzzle Agent and Drawn to Life. His ability to overlay and interweave patterns is second to none in the genre. There's an otherworldly, ethereal sound to many of his pieces.

B15zg.gif

The J. Arthur Keenes Band - Bandcamp page
This Toronto-based one-man act blends elements of pop, rock and reggae into his music, with insightful, playful and introspective lyrics. It also makes use of real guitar regularly.

B5oLD.gif

Norrin Radd - ii Music page
Hailing from Canada, this chiptune maestro also has direct ties to the Retro City Rampage soundtrack. There's a large metal influence in his work, including growling/screaming vocals in select songs. Still, his best work evokes the spirit of many classic game sountracks accurately. The ending of the first selection below would not be out of place in a Castlevania game.

29LAA.png

Danimal Cannon - Bandcamp page
You may know Danimal's work from Armcannon and/or Metroid Metal, but his solo work is starting to catch on, and for good reason. His debut album, Roots, was included as a bonus in one of Indie Royal bundles. Metal and prog-rock influenced compositions played on a Game Boy produces an impressive sound.

cfO79.jpg

Nullsleep - Official site
Jeremiah Johnson is a true mover and shaker in the chiptune scene, having co-founded 8-bit Peoples. He had a piece included in the soundtrack for Gaijin Games' Bit.Trip VOID.

7pvAW.gif

Rushjet1 - Official site
There isn't a ton of info out there on Rushjet1, but the truth is his music speaks for itself. He has had two albums released through 8-bit Peoples and they're both incredibly stellar.

0R3q2.gif

Knife City - Bandcamp
According to the official Knife City Facebook page, Luke Silas has had the same Game Boy since he was five. He's now using it to make us music, like the dancey tracks found in the links below.

vji5g.png

Sabrepulse - Official site
There's a heaping helping of actual EDM in a lot of Sabrepulse's stuff, but he's proven to be a skillful chiptune artist in his own right. The examples here skew more toward his chip work, as they should, but the rabbit hole goes deep with this one.

nqMhL.jpg

Bit Shifter - Official site
This NYC-based artist also makes use of a Game Boy. A self-professed patron of "the lolz", he's a co-admin over at 8-bit Peoples and a pretty big influence in the scene in general.

Dh6fa.jpg

Dubmood - Wordpress page
This guy has been making chiptunes since 1994. He's like the At The Gates of the chiptune scene (i.e. ahead of his time). He was born in Sweeden and currently lives in Marseille, France, so if you get a chance to see him live, don't hesitate.

r7IKK.jpg

Anamanaguchi - Official site
This four-piece uses a hacked NES and guitars to create a unique sound loved by many. Their work on the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack is also well loved, though it's hardly where they got their start.

XQF1Xc9.gif

Alex Mauer - Official site
You may recognize Mauer's sound from the Penny Arcade Ep 3 soundtrack, but he was hard at work on original chiptunes for a long time before Rain Slick was a glimmer in Gabe and Tycho's eyes.

Mu7r1Bo.png

Souleye - Official site
Souleye became famous for his work with indie smash sensation VVVVVV. I would like to link to his non-chiptune stuff, but there isn't much of it on Youtube. Enjoy his work from the game, or hit up his site.

3E4aXdY.jpg

Mzero1 - Bandcamp
This artist was recommended by GAF's Soul Creator. He makes his tunes on a Nintendo DS using the Korg M01 software.

chKfYcs.jpg

_ensnare_ - Blogspot page
This artist was recommended by GAF's ninge. You may know some of _ensnare_ from indie game Frozen Synapse. It's dancey-sounding chiptune-styled work that might get you moving around.

nR6iyYh.jpg

Infinity Shred - Bandcamp
Once known as Starscream, Infinity Shred call themselves 'post italo future shredders'. They put out some of the strongest atmospheric and emotionally heavy chiptunes around, sort of old M83-ish.

gOYzdmY.png

Monomer - Bandcamp
Monomer is an expert at building and executing mood and feeling in his work. An ambitious and clever composer, his recent work has expanded to a more 80s sound, but it's still pretty darn good.

KSq3sQS.jpg

Chiocrite - Official site
Philly-based Chipocrite produces tunes primarily with a Game Boy or two, though sometimes real instruments are used. 8-bit Lebowski isn't original, but it IS a fantastic compliment to the original tracks.

fYHqQrR.jpg

Lifeformed - Official site
Lifeformed made a pretty big splash with the Dustforce soundtrack, but his original work is equally appealing and worth a listen. It builds the same kind of cool grooves found in the game's music.

LIQhbCJ.jpg

Fearofdark - Official site
Recommended by GAF's Aeana. Undeniably funky, Fearofdark's tunes hail from the UK. If you don't find your head bobbing during these tunes then you probably don't have a soulful bone in your body.
LWaHA.png

I stole most of the info here from these websites "about" pages. Each is a great resource or provides a service integral to the scene.

• 8-bit Peoples
    The 8bitpeoples first came together in 1999 as a collective of artists sharing a common love for classic videogames and an approach to music which reflected this obsession. Our primary interests were to provide quality music for free and most importantly to have fun. In the years since, we have grown in rank and expanded our goals.
  • ii Music - Pause
    A chipmusic collective, and great resource for finding new music. Think of it like a chiptune label.
  • OC Remix
    Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is www.ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.
  • MagFest
    In short, MAGFest is a music and video gaming festival run by fans, for fans. In more verbose terms, it's an annual event dedicated to the celebration of video games and video game music. Every year offers 24-hour console, arcade, and PC game rooms, live video game cover bands, a vendors area, and guest speakers from the video game industry and fan scene. It also features a "JamSpace" available to all attendees for impromptu music performances. Numerous other events are scheduled each day.

I hope this doesn't turn into some scene that beats chiptunes to death. Half of what I enjoy about them is the nostalgia. I don't necessarily want to hear them everywhere.

CrankyJay

Banned
I hope this doesn't turn into some scene that beats chiptunes to death. Half of what I enjoy about them is the nostalgia. I don't necessarily want to hear them everywhere.

I think most people like the music because it connects them to good memories of their childhood, not because they necessarily like the music on its own. So I agree.

I have a buddy who was talking about going to a chiptunes fest in New York sometime.
It's pretty good stuff and it's a lot harder to make than.you would think.

OnPoint

I feel like it's never going to get so big that we have to worry about that. The Jamspace is one of my big draws at PAX, but it's never really crowded unless someone like Powerglove is playing on stage. The actual chiptune stuff -- performences by Sadnes, Disasterpeace, Danimal Cannon -- all seems to draw a smaller, dedicated crowd.

joelseph

City of Thieves makes good chip inspired beats. Collabs with Himself the Majestic as Shadowrunners Click. Nature Gang.

OnPoint

I dunno, all the stuff I've heard from the OP so far sound like B-grade C64 music. Nothing even touches the best work of old masters like Martin Galway or Jeroen Tel

Wizball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFYzjU-C3mA

Cybernoid 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5_LsRaPrY

This was of course running on actual C64, it's not a remake or anything.

What did you click on, if you don't mind my asking? That's a pretty harsh criticism considering some of the heavyweights of the chiptune genre are in that group.

I'll be honest -- I think that Wizball song straight up sucks. The Cybernoid 2 track is awesome though.

Red

Fucking love chiptunes, but I thought we already had a thread like this? Could be thinking about something else.

One of my favorite artists is 6955. He hasn't put out much but what he has done I love. I think he's working on a full length album, if I'm remembering right.

Chris R

I wonder... is there an iPad app that would let me make samples/loops/tunes that sound similar to the stuff in this thread? If there are multiple, which is the best?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Insane Youth by Maru

This will always be my favorite chiptune songs. This description describes it best:

"Insane Youth" is best enjoyed with your own raucous or bittersweet high school memories streaming along -- an unsupervised party someone threw while their parents were out of town, dances where everyone but you seemed to have a partner, or nights when you thought you'd never feel any angrier or more alone than you felt right then

OnPoint

Anyone ever hear Unicorn Kid's work?

'Dream Catcher' is probably the best 8-bit dubstep I've ever heard

Paul Taylor, one half of the Frozen Synapse Mode7 studio and the guy who did the soundtrack under the name "Nervous Testpilot" does chiptunes under "_ensnare_". And it's great.

SITE

Live Mix

That live mix is pretty sweet.

No Knife City? NO KNIFE CITY? THREAD FAIL.

http://knifecity.bandcamp.com/

I enjoy how they use modern dance/EDM ideas. Very well put together.

usea

Best thread. Wow. It's like, all of my favorite musicians. I will see if I can't contribute some links when I get home. For now, subscribed.

-KRS-

I feel the need to pimp Zabutom, a Swedish chiptuner which has been in the game for over a decade now and has done music on a bunch of platforms including the C64, Game Boy, NES and also Fasttracker II on PC. Very diverse styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MqlehgdCJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl7TjvZzWMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYA2zV8xmSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwlijEs81mI

He's good friends with another Swedish chiptune artist called Dubmood who is also very good. He makes mostly Atari ST chiptunes but also Fasttracker II music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s1fpC2kU_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUr9mg45PgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5CNlMGcARA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvuf6_pN4xI <-- This one's a real classic

Actually, the chiptune scene in Sweden has been pretty strong for years now since Sweden has always been heavily involved in the demoscene.

OnPoint

"Not just for games"

At least 5 of 7 recommandations in OP are game musicians

:p

I'll give you Virt and Disasterpeace, but Nullsleep's track was selected by Gaijin Games for the Bit.Trip soundtrack long after it was written as an original composition, while Rushjet1, Danimal and J Arthur Keenes haven't been in games as of yet. Norrin Radd didn't make game music until Retro City Rampage. Been listening to him for ages before that, too.

Planning to update the OP with more artists eventually too.

OnPoint

Massive update to the OP. Added a few artists, put in some images, descriptions of the links and a couple of new ones. Suggestions still welcome, of course.

ShaneB

So happy to see this thread. I love chiptunes, but as was mentioned earlier, I think a large part is nostalgia. It's not the sort of music I would blast in my car while driving or anything, but I still love great chiptunes.

Favourite artists include Virt and Norrin Radd, Anamanaguchi, etc among others.

One thing you should also mention is the documentary 'Reformat The Planet'. Very fun watch into the scene and its roots.

-KRS-

One thing you should also mention is the documentary 'Reformat The Planet'. Very fun watch into the scene and its roots.

While I really do like it, I think it's a shame they mostly focus on Nintendo consoles, and almost entirely on the New York scene. The chiptune scene started in Europe during the late 80s and was one part of the demoscene, which itself was an out-growth from the cracking scene. That's where the documentary should've started too.

But it is indeed a good documentary. It's very well made and has interesting interviews with interesting people and most importantly some awesome chiptunes, and I guess that's all that counts.

-KRS-

I'll continue to recommend another Swedish artist, Algar, whose brother I know pretty well. He makes most of his songs in either Madtracker or Fasttracker II (Milkytracker). He blends the chiptune sound with more modern electro sounds.

These tunes are on 8bit Collective which is where I got them from, but since the site is down right now I've mirrored them here on my server:
Metro
Trip to Svanstull

And here's his Soundcloud page.
http://soundcloud.com/algar-chiptunes

-KRS-

Btw, how come no one mentioned 4-mat? He's like one of the most famous Amiga module musicians. Here's some songs I just found quickly on YT:

Madness
DNA Dream
Menuloader
Rose
And one from a fairly new album: Montreux

And speaking of Amiga... Lizardking rules!
He went on to compose music for the Swedish game company Starbreeze Studios. He made the music for The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

...and what the hell, some actually good Atari ST music as well:
Scavenger - Synergy Megademo Main Menu
Scavenger - Synergy Megademo Symbiosis Screen

Remember, the Atari ST sound chip only has 3 sound channels and was not meant to play SID-like sounds like in the above songs.

-KRS-

This thread died huh? Well I don't give a damn, I'm bumping this because I just booted up my Atari ST again and loaded up some YM Rockerz musicdisks on that sucker. I had forgotten how great those were and I wanted to share them with you guys.

http://www.creamhq.de/ymrockerz/downloads.php

Of course, I recommend you listen to them on a real ST for authenticity, but if you don't have one they have MP3 recordings from real machines on the site. Just don't download the SNDH files and emulate them because ST sound emulation is just horrible, especially for advanced chiptunes like these.

I especially like the tunes by Tao and Timbral (Junkie 2149 on the warptYMe album is a favorite), but they're all very good.

Here's a video of the warptYMe album with intro music by ST old-timer Mad Max (Jochen Hippel)
http://www.demoscene.tv/prod.php?id_prod=12656

edit: btw, warptYMe has a more experimental futuristic sound compared to the other albums, so don't let that color your opinion if you don't like it.

Yeah: I thought there were some GAFfers interested in chiptunes? Odd. This thread doesn't deserve to die.

Once more: LISTEN TO SOUNDSHOCK FM FUNK TERROR!! One of the greatest chiptune albums ever made, made by game musicians for game musicians. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's the single-most relevant and sincere dedication to the art-form of phase-modulation musical synthesis known on this planet Earth. For that matter: Ubiktune is the place to go for chiptune debuts and awesome shit.

Joe Bob sez check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom