• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

Archery feels almost like an after thought. But it's really satisfying when you get a hit. Especially the head/neck shots. Also, a tip for those who don't know.

Tap CTRL to crouch. This will start your health regen if it's not already.

This works during fights too. Sprinting will stop it though.

Also, turn on sprint toggle in the options so you don't cramp your hands holding shift for long periods of time.

Archery feels almost like an after thought. But it's really satisfying when you get a hit. Especially the head/neck shots. Also, a tip for those who don't know.

Tap CTRL to crouch. This will start your health regen if it's not already.

This works during fights too. Sprinting will stop it though.

Also, turn on sprint toggle in the options so you don't cramp your hands holding shift for long periods of time.

Wheres the option for sprint toggle? Is it in the keybinds? After playing for like 2 hours my hand was cramping like crazy lol and was like I wish there was a sprint toggle

16/3 archer high score for me. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Played a bunch of LTS on the arena map. We had so many archers. The enemy team eventually got a bunch of knights, stayed in their spawn and made a shield wall to block our team from getting in while their archers pelted us from afar. Managed to bust through somehow without oilpots.

Blair

Banned
Its been a while since i've shouted and screamed in enjoyment while playing a game. Going 4v1 while defending the bridge to a trebuchet and winning, then falling off the bridge. Fucking amazing.

Enco

To the people who have played both, how does this compare to Mount & Blade: Warband?

Warband is a brilliant game. The multiplayer is amazing. Especially with 64 or 200 player matches.

To the people who have played both, how does this compare to Mount & Blade: Warband?

Warband is a brilliant game. The multiplayer is amazing. Especially with 64 or 200 player matches.

It depends. Mobility in this game is overall better than Warband. Combat is more solid imo although you may get frustrated with blocking since it's not always exactly clear where you need to block in point blank range.

The max limit for players is 64 which is pretty chaotic. Ranged combat isn't as good, missile speed is a bit slow for my liking but it's manageable.

Combat is a lot more brutal than what you will find in Warband. It's 24.99 which is pretty decent so there's not much of an investment if you want to try it out.

chris121580

For some reason, servers aren't populating for me. Just bought this and completed the training. Is there something I'm missing?

vidcons

Banned
Yeah, this is pretty cool. Is there a way to mute people? If so, can someone write a script to mute anyone with a Game of Thrones reference?

That'd be great. Every one I've come across has been a giant turd of a person.

Spat_triate

Every game now has 3 or 4 dedicated trolls teamkilling at will and launching random kick votes (which the lemmings always vote yes). They need to add an auto kick for excessive teamkilling. I just left a game where a dude had like -6000 score and 0 enemy kills. It's to the point now where I rarely finish a round because I'm already looking for another match to join.

Setre

Joined the Steam group and played a couple more minutes worth. Really starting to dig the game now, getting Jedi Outcast/Academy vibes like others mentioned. I wish Team Deathmatch didn't have a limit on how many times you can spawn though.

Sword thrust attack is incredibly broken. It's completely unblockable. Tower shield can't even block it.

Block system in general seems a bit wonky. I think they should increase the block range. This will not decrease skill taken as there's still feinting, dancing, winding up out of range and things like that.

It's just annoying to block something that on your screen appears correct but in actuality it isn't.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by MBII.

feel

Was playing this last man standing game, and in the end it was me vs four of them. They manage to corner and surround me, but then surprisingly 3 of them stand aside and start cheering the fourth one while he fought me by himself. What? :O After I kill him, once again only one of the other 3 walks forward to fight me while the other 2 keep cheering us on without interfering! Wtf this is awesome! The chat starts going wild at this point and my heart is racing. I kill them one by one until there's only one, he puts away his weapons and does a "come at me" taunt with his bare fists. I accept the fistfight challenge and we punch the crap out of each other for a while until he defeats me. I love this fucking game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Seems like there's a great sword exploit (or maybe it works with any weapon). Some guy was going around with a great sword attacking faster than you would with a dagger. He said it was something like stab -> combo -> cancel -> stab. I couldn't figure out what he was doing but he was basically taking on hordes by himself.

ZoddGutts

PEGYm.jpg

Looks like good word of mouth from people is helping out the game on Steam.

Was playing this last man standing game, and in the end it was me vs four of them. They manage to corner and surround me, but then surprisingly 3 of them stand aside and start cheering the fourth one while he fought me by himself. What? :O After I kill him, once again only one of the other 3 walks forward to fight me while the other 2 keep cheering us on without interfering! Wtf this is awesome! The chat starts going wild at this point and my heart is racing. I kill them one by one until there's only one, he puts away his weapons and does a "come at me" taunt with his bare fists. I accept the fistfight challenge and we punch the crap out of each other for a while until he defeats me. I love this fucking game.

This reminds me of that shield wall I encountered. Just cool stuff you wouldn't see in other games.

Seems like there's a great sword exploit (or maybe it works with any weapon). Some guy was going around with a great sword attacking faster than you would with a dagger. He said it was something like stab -> combo -> cancel -> stab. I couldn't figure out what he was doing but he was basically taking on hordes by himself.

So mouse1>Q>mouse1?

A combo is linking two moves together so I'm not sure if that means doing a stab, then another move then cancelling it then stabbing again.

feel

This reminds me of that shield wall I encountered. Just cool stuff you wouldn't see in other games.
Oh man I want to do that sometime.

iFGCeu2ZNuKBH.jpg

And can't wait for the community to come up with cool mods/skins/maps that recreate 300, LOTR, etc.

Oh man I want to do that sometime.

iFGCeu2ZNuKBH.jpg

And can't wait for the community to come up with cool mods/skins/maps that recreate 300, LOTR, etc.

It was like that except with one row. I remember some people on my team and I shouting "SHIELDS FIRST, SHIELDS FIRST" in team chat, having our own knights go in with shields to defend against the archers they had in the back.

MedIC86

So this game has me mildly interested but what i still dont really get:

Is it a sort counterstrike in medieval times? or is it siege gameplay with objectives etc?

Setre

Alright guys, I'm now fully in love with this game. I played for 7 hours straight last night. When I finally went to bed it was 5 in the morning and I only thought it'd be around 1 or 2. Didn't even feel tired until I went to go use the restroom. Fucking amazing game, haven't had this much fun in a multiplayer game in a long time.

The majority of my time was spent on a FFA duel server. I felt like I was playing Jedi Academy again with dudes pairing up with one another and going at it. I highly recommend going into a duel server. If you want to challenge someone do a standing taunt, they should do it back, if they kneel it usually means they have low health.

Also love the blocking in this game. Unlike M&B or WotR there's no directional blocking, you just have to time it right. That's one reason why in those other games I'm always sword and broad, I suck a directional blocking. Not so with Chivalry, I can duke it out with big ass sword with the best of them. I hate archers/man-at-arms with daggers/fast swords though. They get in close and tear my shit up.

I fucking love the feint too. Such an awesome mechanic.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that for those who want to you can go into a 3rd person mode, press P. I didn't try it out and saw it in one of the loading tips so I'm not sure if it's a viable play method.

Oh I forgot to mention that for those who want to you can go into a 3rd person mode, press P. I didn't try it out and saw it in one of the loading tips so I'm not sure if it's a viable play method.

I spent several hours playing in third person and didn't feel at any significant disadvantage. I didn't try Archery in this view, so that could be more difficult. I managed about the same K/D ratio as when I played in first person. Playing sword/shield Knight in third person reminds me a lot of Demons Souls/Dark Souls.

The camera is fixed but the over-the-shoulder view is competent and feels polished enough. Third person is viable but I still prefer first person because it feels a lot more personal and "in your face" but I do like to mix it up every now and then. It would be more fun to play in third person if the game offered more customization options.

The command was mapped to "L" for me by default, I think. It should also probably be mentioned that there is a server side option to disable this, but I have yet to play on a server that didn't allow it.

L will change from first to third person.

P will cycle from first to third person camera to the left, then to the right, then an overhead view, then finally back to first person again.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone know how to feint with the XBox controller attached? Im stupid.

It's "X" I believe. One of the face buttons. The fact that I have to take my thumb off the right stick to do it made me go back to mouse and keyboard, as I need full control at all times when dueling.

I suppose they could have put it on one of the stick buttons, but I'd always accidentally press it then,

Not sure how long this will last but Chivalry has dethroned XCOM again for the number one selling spot on Steam. I think this game will have a pretty strong community as long as they continue to support the game. Congratulations, Torn Banner!

xJavonta

Banned
How does this play with a controller? I only played the beta with a mouse and keyboard but it didn't feel smooth on my system, so I'm thinking of playing it at my TV which has a lower native res than my monitor for better frames.

Top Bottom