• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) has died

I feel so powerless when these people - that I never met but through their creations have been my friends and companions when I'm at my lowest, helping me fight my demons - succumb to demons of their own.

Argh.

Same... Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave... a lot of music that helped me get through a lot of things...

Davidion

I feel so powerless when these people - that I never met but through their creations have been my friends and companions when I'm at my lowest, helping me fight my demons - succumb to demons of their own.

Argh.

Oh, holy crap this post almost made burst out crying at work. Crap.

Damn, well said.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Cornell.

Like Suicide will be very hard to listen to from now on as well.

I've been having a hard time processing this today, such a profoundly shocking loss.

And it's one of the most emotional guitar solos I've ever heard as well. Today sucks more than most in the past few years.

Listened to his album Euphoria Mourning earlier and the opening lyric of Follow My Way got me:

Little one don't be a fool
I'm a wreck when I look mighty
In euphoria I'm bruised...

Did the same. That album is amazingly emotive and has some of the best songwriting I've ever seen. "Preaching to the End of the World" and "Sweet Euphoria" also good.

Ugh, so sad right now.

I don't know when I'll be able to listen to Say Hello 2 Heaven again.
I was hesitant at first to even mention this considering the details that have come out, but Pretty Noose is my favorite Soundgarden song. I'm not sure I even want to hear that song again now.

Oidisco

I haven't played guitar in years because my wrists are messed up, but tonight I I'm playing every Cornell, Audioslave, Temple and Soundgarden song I can.

I haven't played guitar in years because my wrists are messed up, but tonight I I'm playing every Cornell, Audioslave, Temple and Soundgarden song I can.

Amen to that brother. I was supposed to be doing uni work, but the guitar is getting a dusting off and a few tunes will be played, with some whiskey.

WTF!!! I've just seen this thread now, I was just listening to the songs "4th of July" and "The Day I Tried to Live" on the way to work this morning. Can't believe this...

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
For those of you wondering about how/why this comes out of nowhere and maybe it was accidental, his wife said he was not suicidal, etc... some thoughts;

I am speaking as someone who battled pretty severe depression back in 2015 and to a lesser extent ever since.

It is a fucking blindside.

I was in denial for almost 2 years, I thought I was just stressed/overworked. I ignored all the signs. My wife started to feel something was off and encouraged me to get counseling/take meds. I was in full on denial and thought I could "figure it out on my own". I just knew I felt off.

When it all came to a head it almost ruined my marriage and my career.

I am considered by family and friends as the "happy" guy who loves his life and his job. Those who I shared my issues with were shocked that this could "happen" to me.

I never got to the serious suicidal stage, and the only reason I put it that way is because I had NEVER thought about that at all but my therapist would ask me about suicidal thoughts every damn time I saw her and eventually I started to ponder how people get there, and question my own thoughts.

My point is, depression is a severely difficult thing to experience, and an even harder thing to admit and share with others, even close family and friends, especially when your daily life gets in teh way and/or keeps you distracted from it.

I feel bad that Chris was obviously in pain, and that it had to come to this, but hopefully people can understand that personal demons can be crushing and sometimes there is no light at the end of that tunnel.

RIP and best wishes to everyone he has left behind.

All of us are. As bad a celebrity death can get for me.

It isn't as bad as a celebrity death can get for me, and I think that's what it's throwing me off so badly. Seeing this news actually shocked me into realizing what a big part of my life he was. Everything from the Black Hole Sun video giving me nightmares as a kid to listening to Soundgarden while driving around aimlessly with boyfriends as a teenager to listening to Audioslave instead of Christmas carols during the last Christmas that I spent at home with my parents. Chris Cornell's voice was such a constant in my life, and I never realized it.

As someone who's been seriously suicidal to the point of being terrified of myself, it hits even harder. No one is safe from the ghosts that haunt their mind. It makes me feel so hopeless.

I love you, Chris. I hope you've found peace.

bender

What time is it?
Me again. His music helped me through some really rough spots I had in the 90s. I wish Chris could have found a similar outlet. God speed.

Also had one of the best Bond songs with You Know My Name.

RIP.

The Spotify playlist they put up this morning has You Know My Name preceded by Blow Up The Outside World. Which I've always thought was one of the best Bond Themes ever written for a Bond movie that doesn't exist yet.

I mean, I know EON would never even consider it, but I think it'd be cool if they just licensed that song for Craig's last film. Craig came in with Cornell, Craig leaves with him too.

It won't happen, but it's nice to imagine.

Grym

Were they doing that song regularly on the tour or just that night?

I don't think they actually played that song (in its entirety). My understanding is that the final encore was Slaves & Bulldozers where they have this mash-up thing during a refrain to throw in some of In My Time of Dying into the song which yes they have done in the past.

Jarlaxle

Warm and sweet
Swinging from a windows ledge
Tight and deep
One last sin before I'm dead
A sucking holy wind
Will take me from this bed tonight
And bloody wits
Another hits me and I have to say goodbye

Sleep tight for me
Sleep tight for me I'm gone

And I hope it's a sweet ride
Here for me tonight
'Cause I feel I'm going
Feel I'm slowing down

castlegar

Warm and sweet
Swinging from a windows ledge
Tight and deep
One last sin before I'm dead
A sucking holy wind
Will take me from this bed tonight
And bloody wits
Another hits me and I have to say goodbye

Sleep tight for me
Sleep tight for me I'm gone

And I hope it's a sweet ride
Here for me tonight
'Cause I feel I'm going
Feel I'm slowing down

My absolute favourite Soundgarden song. Down on the Upside has some criminally underrated songs on it that stand up against the best of their other albums. Overfloater, An Unkind, and Zero Chance are right up there, too.

RIP Chris

Holy shit.

Just to let you know that Chris' music helped me through some SHITTY times and saved my life. But wow, Chris is the third major grunge singer to pass away.

I have no words. Thanks, see you on the other side.

Atenhaus

Quick story time. When I was young lad, my mother and Chris Cornell's mom had jury duty together over in Kitsap County (west of Seattle, across Puget Sound). After it ended, they remained friends. I remember meeting Chris a couple of time as a young kid and never fully understanding why my dad was so excited to meet this random dude with long, curly hair and a goatee. Unfortunately, when my parents and I moved off the Kitsap Peninsula, they didn't remain in contact.

Rest in peace, Chris. I'm so sorry that you couldn't find something to ease the pain.

Pyronite

Soundgarden and video games met in one mighty package called Road Rash for the PC. That game introduced me to Soundgarden and Soundgarden introduced me to good music. I remember finding their audio files on the disc and listening to them over and over again.

RIP Chris!

Top Bottom