• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) has died

Somebody on reddit posted this:
My dad worked at the concert yesterday. He said that after everyone had gone Chris was still playing on the stage. My dad said it was totally bizarre and the security guards were getting frustrated because they had to stay so late.

At that point he probably knew he was going to commit suicide and that was his last concert.

Edit: he = the

Edit 2: Since some are questioning my father's story I asked him to clarify. He said that there was a very small amount of people still in the theater. He also said there were originally plans to cut the concert short but, he (my father) ended up having to stay until 1 in the morning instead of the 11:30 that he would normally leave at. It was a little bit out of the ordinary.

:/

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn this was a suicide? So fucked. RIP Chris. 4th of July is one of the heaviest/sludgiest fucking songs of all time imo. Goddamn Soundgarden ruled. This sucks

Sigh. He seems off in this clip from last night, to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm97KDb1Y7k

"You can do anything you want, including burn a cross on your lawn. I don't care. As long as it doesn't catch another house on fire." (paraphrased)

The performance is not quite Scott Weiland levels of spaciness, but he's definitely behind time and a little slurry. Still, you wouldn't watch this and imagine what he was going to do later that night.

Superunknown is a stone cold classic. "Fell on Black Days" and "My Wave" are great. I also always liked his very first solo song that was on the Singles soundtrack. The song "Seasons" is an instant rush of nostalgia and remembering a more innocent and youthful time. If you were there, this will bring up some memories for you. It certainly does for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TksqEIl1uxU

His cameo in Singles was pretty cute too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5H8YzfARE

Sigh. My youth is just getting wiped out.

Gonna chill with some of my favorite sound garden songs tonight. Man I'm sad but I'm also happy he left so much awesome fucking music behind.

BruceCLea

Banned
Looking through his discography...Lots of songs about suicide. Sad. Guy had a lot of demons. Music is amazing, I'm a huge fan. RIP

cripterion

I'm so fucking sad... My favorite vocals of his were on Temple of the dog album.
Listening to Times of Trouble now. Goddamn, this world :(

VARIA

How tragic and apparently out of nowhere. I wonder if it was an auto erotic asphyxiation accident? Regardless, what a huge loss. RIP.

Man, suicide is such a trash way to escape.

It's hard for me to feel for these types of deaths because I just can't comprehend it.

Broseybrose

Sigh. He seems off in this clip from last night, to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm97KDb1Y7k

"You can do anything you want, including burn a cross on your lawn. I don't care. As long as it doesn't catch another house on fire." (paraphrased)

The performance is not quite Scott Weiland levels of spaciness, but he's definitely behind time and a little slurry. Still, you wouldn't watch this and imagine what he was going to do later that night.

Sigh. My youth is just getting wiped out.
He really does seem off, definitely behind time and sloppy. So surreal.

I just finished rereading the AIC biography which mentions Chris several times as he was one of the creators of the whole Seattle grunge 90s scene. I really cant believe he hung himself...

Damn.

Fucking sucks.

RIP to one of the greatest vocalists in the history of rock music.

Seriously, listen to this. His voice was unreal.

Stay safe Vedder. You're all that's left of that scene's frontmen.

Tainted

Suicide....ah man. Tragic he was not able to find inner peace or get the help he obviously needed.

We have all truly lost a chunk of our childhoods with his passing, I'm just glad his music is still with us for eternity.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family :(

Ash735

Really surprising to hear this news, especially considering he'd just released new material and was touring with Soundgarden again. Been on a Grunge kick all day.

Heard this on the local rock station while taking my kid to school this morning and didn't stop crying until I got home. Really sucks. RIP.

It really does suck, when people ask why are you guys acting like this? Crying over a celebrity you never knew?

Sometimes, someone represents a moment in time, in your life, and their passing reminds you of so many great things, sad things, they represent a snap shot of that moment in your life, it brings a lot of emotion with it.

cripterion

Really feels bad, I remember last time I felt this way was after Peter Steele's death. Such a damn shame. I hope he is in a better place at least.

DirtyLarry

Did not have as much time as I usually like to for my tribute illustrations, but I wanted to get it out in a timely manner, so here is a quick tribute I did for my man.

ievc.png

I am 42. Although I grew up primarily listening to Hip Hop and Punk Rock, I always, always enjoyed my man's bands all the way through to his solo stuff. And there were two primary reasons I enjoyed him so much...
He had the voice of an angel yet the lyrics of someone battling demons.
These two things combined for one of the more original front men of my time.

I actually started the drawing when I read he died and it was not until after I finished it I read he committed suicide. That just sucks and I cannot imagine what would make someone who has made it 52 years decide to take their own life. Just why is the biggest thing I am left asking. Such a shame.

Did not have as much time as I usually like to for my tribute illustrations, but I wanted to get it out in a timely manner, so here is a quick tribute I did for my man.

ievc.png

I am 42. Although I grew up primarily listening to Hip Hop and Punk Rock, I always, always enjoyed my man's bands all the way through to his solo stuff. And there were two primary reasons I enjoyed him so much...

I actually started the drawing when I read he died and it was not until after I finished it I read he committed suicide. That just sucks and I cannot imagine what would make someone who has made it 52 years decide to take their own life. Just why is the biggest thing I am left asking. Such a shame.

That's fucking brilliant. I wish I could have it to hang on my wall.

ievc.png

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Echoing above me. I want this on my wall, too.

ievc.png

Amazing. Also "He had the voice of an angel yet the lyrics of someone battline demons" line couldn't be more spot on.

ievc.png

Great work, thanks for sharing

cripterion

ievc.png

That's really great drawing man.

Cardon

ievc.png

Good sir, that's a damn good portrait. Excellent stuff.

strafer

ievc.png

Excellent.

Fucking sucks.

RIP to one of the greatest vocalists in the history of rock music.

Seriously, listen to this. His voice was unreal.

Stay safe Vedder. You're all that's left of that scene's frontmen.

When you factor in that Vedder is standing there because Andrew Wood was the first casualty, it makes the thing a whole lot bleaker. I can't think of another scene with this high of a mortality rate.

Top Bottom