• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan reportedly producing an ‘Akira’ Trilogy for Warner Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nolan pretty much came out and said he didn't really do anything as MOS' producer. His name was used to bolster sales, that's it.

If he actually gives a shit about this then yeah, it could turn out pretty good.

guek

Banned
........Does Akira really need to be a trilogy?

To tell the whole story, absolutely. It'd also need a hard R rating, $150M+ budget per film, inspired casting, and a director willing to devote 5+ years to making it all come together.

Fans would rather have nothing.

The greatest fear is that we'll get another Dragonball Evolution.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Akira Cast Details:

Ken Watanabe: Tetsuo
Ken Watanabe: Kaneda
Ken Watanabe: Kei
Ken Watanabe: Colonel Shikishima
Ken Watanabe: Doctor Ōnishi
Ken Watanabe: Ryūsaku
Ken Watanabe: Kiyoko (No. 25)
Ken Watanabe: Takashi (No. 26)
Ken Watanabe: Masaru (No. 27)
Ken Watanabe: Kaori
Ken Watanabe: Akira

Mortemis

Banned
Gonna have to wait and hear who's the director on this before I start shedding tears.

I really really doubt they'll give this a proper budget and actually give a shit about its quality tho, so I might as well join in on the doom and gloom.

I mean, he produced Man of Steel and that turned out pretty good... right? Right?

Yeaaaah, him "producing" doesn't mean shit.

Akira Cast Details:

Ken Watanabe: Tetsou

39X

but really, i hope the first film does gangbusters so we can have an Akira Cinematic Universe where we get a spinoff movie about the rise of the clown gang and a TV show based on the company that produced the capsule marketing on the back of Kaneda's jacket

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No, this actually does seem up his alley. A lot of the themes of Akira have been done in his earlier works.

I oddly think he would do a good job.

Also a lot of people don't realize how much longer the books are.

but really, i hope the first film does gangbusters so we can have an Akira Cinematic Universe where we get a spinoff movie about the rise of the clown gang and a TV show based on the company that produced the capsule marketing on the back of Kaneda's jacket

What about the ending ?

Just imagine the endless opportunities.

CANADAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Probably won't be good, but I'm super psyched. If the movies are each an adaptation of two manga volumes, that would be perfect!

guek

Banned
I oddly think he would do a good job.

Also a lot of people don't realize how much longer the books are.

I think Nolan would do a great job if he had the passion for it. It could be a modern day Matrix for film (funny since the former was inspired by Akira).

But Akira is such a dense and epic tome, I don't know if it could be well produced by modern day Hollywood.

I don't give a fuuuck about these big name producers. Spielberg had his name on garbage like jurassic world and transformers series and nolan produced man of steel

I think he could make a good movie out of it if he brings in an outside writer (not named Goyer) tho

- J - D -

It's really a great time to live in when not only can you not trust Hollywood to get it right, you can't really trust the Japanese film industry or its animation industry to do so either.

The 80s were a long time ago.

I feel like Nolans style is a bit too sterile to properly depict the characters and the cyberpunk.
Also the movie would definitely NEED to be rated R to be a faithful adaptation and I have serious doubts the studios will allow that.

I don't think Hollywood will ever make a version fans of the original material will be satisfied with, but upon misreading thread title I realized that I would be really intrigued by a Nolan directed take on Akira. The internet would explode. I think he got his vehicle chase direction/editing skills up from 4 to 7.5 by TDKR and it can't get more corny than the love metaphysical stuff in Interstellar. You can do this Chris, don't just hand it off to another director.

Akira Cast Details:

Ken Watanabe: Tetsuo

Ha.

Seriously though, what role will Ken Watanabe have? We know Nolan will get him something.

Also, if Nolan really is in charge, do you think he'd actually aim for an Asian or more specifically Japanese cast?

a916

Nolan can do whatever the hell he wants, I don't know anything about Akira but I'm there day one if he's directing it.

J2 Cool

Impossible story to tell.. All you can really do is take your favorite visuals, and try to put it into visual overdrive. I cant see it being good, but if theyre going to do it someday better to have someone involved who can get it the budget you would need I guess.

I don't know, Akira live-action is really the equivalent of The Watchmen. Can only fall short.

A movie based on a revolutionary anime and manga, now re-imagined by the director of The Dark Knight and Interstellar.

Mike.

Coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom