• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan reportedly producing an ‘Akira’ Trilogy for Warner Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Where my Nolan Jesus pictures?

H1yCNVn.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I'd be more worried about rating. I don't think Akira can be pulled off well with a PG-13 rating, but I also don't believe current Hollywood would greenlight a project requiring such a big effects budget if it's rated R.

I don't know. He might have to get creative in how he handles the stuff. He also might just say fuck it and go the rated R route. He has enough clout that they might agree to roll the dice.

guek

Banned
I don't know. He might have to get creative in how he handles the stuff. He also might just say fuck it and go the rated R route. He has enough clout that they might agree to roll the dice.

That's why I think he could do it well if he really committed to it. More than likely he'd adapt it to something completely different entirely, which I'd be fine with tbh. It wouldn't be Akira though.

Fury451

Banned
Don't murder me Gaf but what is Akira exactly? Movie? Manga? Tv show? What is it about?

And what's up with the Nolan hate? Dude is easily one of the best directors working today. Is Akira a comedy or something like that hence people don't liking the idea?

It's a good and unique 6 volume sci-fi dystopian sort of Manga that became a groundbreaking tentpole of anime with it's adaptation (directed by the Manga's writer).

Akira is the name of a major character- saying anymore would spoil it though; really suggest watching or reading it (and avoiding too many online descriptors).

It's excellent as a film, and excellent as an anime if you want a more complete tale.

As for the Nolan hate....don't get that either. Personally don't think Akira can be or needs to be adapted though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Akira Cast Details:

Ken Watanabe: TETSUO!!!!!!!
Ken Watanabe: KANEDAAAAA!!!
Ken Watanabe: Kei
Ken Watanabe: Colonel Shikishima
Ken Watanabe: Doctor Ōnishi
Ken Watanabe: Ryūsaku
Ken Watanabe: Kiyoko (No. 25)
Ken Watanabe: Takashi (No. 26)
Ken Watanabe: Masaru (No. 27)
Ken Watanabe: Kaori
Ken Watanabe: Akira
Fixed

cruets

manga is awesome. i would support a trilogy but only with asian leads and set in neo tokyo not fucking neo manhattan

If he's gonna adapt the manga, the trilogy idea works. The first movie had to distill a shit-ton of story, and though it was still amazing, there were bits that got the short end of the stick.

(Or people. I'm looking at you Kaori.)

Abounder

Banned
Nolan producing Akira. Scarjo in Ghost in the Shell. And old rumors of Leo in Robotech...

It is time for anime adaptations to rule the box office lol

Presold

Akira the manga seems much more suited to a duology or four films.

The break is exactly in the middle, in between volumes 3 and 4 out of 6 total. The setting on both sides is so vastly different from each other I don't think that the transition would work in the middle of a movie.

Jarmel

Banned
Akira the manga seems much more suited to a duology or four films.

The break is exactly in the middle, in between volumes 3 and 4 out of 6 total. The setting on both sides is so vastly different from each other I don't think that the transition would work in the middle of a movie.

He isn't going to do a 1 to 1 adaptation.

This would be a pretty massive gamble for WB. No Manga/anime adaption had done particularly well in the US, and the core fanbase will effectively boycott the film of it isn't a direct translation (turning off most of the mainstream US).

But I suppose if there's any name with enough clout to get it made, it's Nolan.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Akira is so cool, I don't even have to explain, but is there a story and characters in there that demands it be produced as a live action, Westerner filled epic?

Most of its appeal in both anime and Manga form was in compelling and at the time - very new visuals. It suffers an ironic fate though in that it has been so mimicked that it would look old again.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You just know the line "people are afraid of what they don't understand" is gonna be in there somewhere.

Hyun Sai

This would be a pretty massive gamble for WB. No Manga/anime adaption had done particularly well in the US, and the core fanbase will effectively boycott the film of it isn't a direct translation (turning off most of the mainstream US).

But I suppose if there's any name with enough clout to get it made, it's Nolan.

I honestly think there is no gamble IF he is the director. People would come in masses to see not Akira, but the last Nolan movie. His name is much bigger than the manga.

If he only produces, well, I don't know.

Now, Warners IS a studio willing to give earners a LOT of rope. The Wachowskis made them tons in 99, and that string only just finally played out this year with Jupiter Ascending.

Nolan's never stopped earning for them. The question is whether he's willing to really spend that capital to say "I want an Akira trilogy. And it's going to be set in Japan. And it's going to be rated R."

Because if any studio is going to roll with that, I'd imagine it's WB. Especially if it's Nolan asking.

Jarmel

Banned
Now, Warners IS a studio willing to give earners a LOT of rope. The Wachowskis made them tons in 99, and that string only just finally played out this year with Jupiter Ascending.

Nolan's never stopped earning for them. The question is whether he's willing to really spend that capital to say "I want an Akira trilogy. And it's going to be set in Japan. And it's going to be rated R."

Because if any studio is going to roll with that, I'd imagine it's WB. Especially if it's Nolan asking.

I highly doubt it'll take place in Japan. Nolan will be doing his own spin and it makes much more sense for him on a writing and production level to do the setting as Neo-New York.

A lot of Akira is social criticism and religious elements. Might as well do it as a Western take rather than emulating the Asian one.

I honestly think there is no gamble IF he is the director. People would come in masses to see not Akira, but the last Nolan movie. His name is much bigger than the manga.

If he only produces, well, I don't know.
Still, Nolan's name only takes this so far. Assuming this is the unnamed July 2017 film, that means WB is betting on a blockbuster level return. If he properly adapts Akira, that essentially bars the film from having any major US star in the central cast.

So either WB assumes that a massive audience will come out based alone on Nolan & Akira name recognition, or the film is adapted for a US setting.

Kain

There is absolutely no chance, if the movies are made, that they are both set in Japan and rated R. It's just not gonna happen.

I'm thinking they will change the title to "Stuart" or something along those lines lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom