• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrome is really bad now, what's the best navigator atm ?

Best navigator?

Results are only viewable after voting.

N7.Angel

There was a time when Chrome was the best navigator to have but it becomes really heavy and slow, what are the best navigator of the moment ? some people recommended me Vivaldi but I don't know how secure it is and if LastPass addon is working on it, so any suggestion ?

I've been a Chrome user for years. I've noticed on my ram limited work PC that Chrome's ram usage almost doubles over time, even if the number of tabs open doesn't increase.

I pretty much use the same 11-12 tabs for work purposes (they open at launch), but Chrome still slows to a crawl as it pushes my system near 4GBs of ram.

At home I have no issues, but that's because I have way more ram than I'll ever needed.

Lkr

Navigator? You talking about the Netscape browser? I’ve never heard navigator interchanged with browser

On Mac I use safari
Windows is chrome
iOS is safari

grumpy

The current version of Firefox (55) is very fast and not the memory hog it used to be. Actually I think this version was the first to include a major change to the javascript engine, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're feeling adventurous, try the nightly version of Firefox, version 57. Not only does it feel a lot faster in page loading but the interface feels generally snappier on both my Mac and windows machines. Plus, you'll get to test drive the new UI.

etQqpOW.gif

N7.Angel

Browser was the right word, sorry lads XD

Strange that people don't find Chrome heavy and slow when even Edge is faster to me... I used to have Firefox but it becomes really bad the last year or two, the new version of it looks interesting though.

eso76

Browser was the right word, sorry lads XD

Strange that people don't find Chrome heavy and slow when even Edge is faster to me... I used to have Firefox but it becomes really bad the last year or two, the new version of it looks interesting though.

Edge IS faster though.

grumpy

Since everyone is talking about it, any way of getting Netscape Communicator 4.x to run under Windows 10? I'm feeling nostalgic for 90s WWW all of the sudden.

Chrome is okay but it has the standard WIMP interface which is clunky.

I used to use Conkeror (nb: not the KDE browser Konqueror) which gave me a lovely keyboard interface scriptable in JavaScript, with Emacs bindings by default. That was about as fast and fuss-free as I've ever seen.

Conkeror broke on OpenBSD a few years ago so now I stick with Chrome or Firefox until I can be bothered to run down the bug and fix it.

rashbeep

Banned
haven't used edge a lot, but it is the only browser i feel where the ui is actually modern

chrome has been stale for a while now

Netcape Navigator Gold 3.11

But seriously run Chrome without an extensions and then turn them back on one by one, you will be fine.

jelly

I quite like Edge but loading new page or whatever brings up a white background in the browser momentarily and it's bloody blindly annoying. Anyone know how to make it black?

Firefox is still fine on a reasonable hardware. The thing that bugs me is when they put in these random features, who uses them, a screenshot tool, really!

Bitanator

I tend to switch between both Firefox and chrome, been using more chrome during work so it is my preferred one right now

Cipherr

Did you say Navigator?

In any case, the best is still Chrome by a mile, as long as you aren't on a ram limited system. I think FF is second.

Chrome is the default browser in my mind these days. I've started using Vivaldi on windows recently just for fun, and have been toying with Brave on iOS.

bionic77

Chrome is a huge resource slut.

I use Safari on Mac and Chrome on Windows (can't find a better alternative).

Also, I am now going to call all browsers navigators from now on. Surfing the web is now simply called navigating.

Occam

I like Firefox. It's not without flaws but has great support and tons of plugins for anything you could possibly want.

I use Chrome - runs fine for me and has the extensions I need.
Edge is fast but lacking in extensions last time I checked (it's been awhile, though).
Firefox runs like pure crap on both of our pics at home. Godawful slow.

Sulik2

Chrome devours memory like its some sort of elder god feeding on the information of this universe. That being said its still a solid browser. I will probably always be a Firefox guy though.

linkboy

Chrome was running slow for me until I disabled hardware acceleration. I was having issues with tabs being slow.

I can't give up Chrome, I'm to dependent on the native (I'm well aware that firefox syncs between mobile and desktop browsers) syncing to my gmail account to give it up.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've never had any of these Chrome problems I always hear so much about. It is my browser of choice on Mac, Windows, and Android.

dgdas9

Safari. Saves you a bunch of battery and the High Sierra version protects your privacy from shady advertisers (except Google, Facebook, and other sites you log into frequently unfortunately). Also, Safari Autofill and reading list are great.

Top Bottom