• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrome is really bad now, what's the best navigator atm ?

Best navigator?

Results are only viewable after voting.
GenuineHarmfulJanenschia-size_restricted.gif

The firefox one should show it downing ram then choking.

Spanish speaking OP?( It's Navegador in Spanish.)

I'm rather taken with the term navigator. It's descriptive and historically resonant. Netscape Navigator was the next step for its developers after their very successful NCSA Mosaic.

So I'll probably skip it into conversation. One day fetch will happen.

N7.Angel

Spanish speaking OP?( It's Navegador in Spanish.)

Anyway. I kinda... Like edge. Loading times are a bit longer than on chrome (at least in my experience) but once you are in a site it just feels really smooth. The scrolling in particular is amazing, feels like going from a 30 fps game to a 60fps one when comming from chrome .

But I've gotten some weird compatibility issues with it. The Microsoft Office site of all things doesn't really lead correctly for me when using edge.

Nope I'm French, we're using the word "Navigateur" so my brain automatically translate it to Navigator even if I know it was browser, just a brain malfunction XD.

Ogodei

Firefox has been stuttering for me lately, like their solution to slowdown is to just freeze the entire screen instead of more traditional reactions.

element

Vivaldi is great.
Brave is nice, but not really mature enough yet.
Edge is great for most cases, but has some legacy issues.

sinxtanx

honestly, different browsers work differently on different systems for different tasks

find the one that works on YOUR computer, not someone else's

Firefox 57 is hot rn

If you're on a Mac, I've come to really like Safari. It's equally fast, or near enough that I can't tell the difference. It doesn't use as much memory and, if you're on a laptop, doesn't use up your battery as quickly.

These threads confuses me.

We talking PC or Smartphone?

I choose whichever browser looks better to me. Currently it's Firefox. I used chrome for a while.

I've never had any issue with any browser I've ever used on my PC including IE. What do you people do that I do not? Never had any sort of ram issues or noticable computer slown down due to a browser. Legit cannot think of a single time this has ever happened. I'm on my computer browsing YouTube, GAF, downloading shit, Netflix, and playing PC games an unhealthy amount of hours every day.

Is it an older/cheaper PC issue? I generally custom build a high end machine every 5 years or so. Maybe that keeps things running smoothly?

Never really knew people chose browser's based on anything other than looks/features they are familiar with/desire.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Of all the navigateurs, Chrome gives me the most problems lately. Seems to run too many processes, and doesn't shut down properly a good ammount of the time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Opera is Chrome now (and a worse Chrome), and that killed me inside.

Still using Opera 12 sometimes...

I wish we get more options...
Old Opera was the shit. Modern Opera is shit.

I still haven't got over how bad they ruined the browser with Opera 15. They took out everything good about Opera 12 and left something that wasn't even remotely similar. I'm a sad Chrome user now, longing for the good old days...

Firefox has been stuttering for me lately, like their solution to slowdown is to just freeze the entire screen instead of more traditional reactions.

freezing the screen IS the traditional approach. Browsers used to be a single process application and when any part of said application crashed (whether that be a UI crash, add on/extension crash, plugin crash) it took the whole app with it.

Now you have browsers that fire off multiple processes for tabs/extensions/plugins which takes more memory but also means if any of the aforementioned crash it doesn't take everything with it. Single process browsers also made releasing memory a harder task than with multiple process browsers.

Thank you. This is the real subject of the thread now.

Also people who call video game levels and environments:

Boards
Sheets
Rounds

This is got to be an industry thing because I don't think I have heard anyone say any of those.

I do hear people say "solved" when they have completed a game.

neoemonk

Didn't realize so many people we using Edge. I don't mind it but there are a lot of plugins I like in Chrome and I'm not sure of they are all available. Also I ran into this weird issue on Gamerescape when I was playing FF XIV heavily where the browser would refresh itself and it doesn't seem to happen in Chrome. Those are two things stopping me from using it regularly.

Lanf

lmao at that poll. I work with all browsers at work, but I personally prefer Chrome with some extensions, but that is also because I'm deep in the Google ecosystem.

Firefox with extensions isn't bad either. And if you don't care about extensions you can just as well use Edge, it really isn't bad.

This is of course all assuming you're on a Windows desktop.

I found this pic from early 2014 (not mine, from another GAF thread). Look at the tabs up top:

2017, and that's still not fixed. "Don't have so many tabs open", there are valid use cases, who are you to judge, and Firefox handles it just fine. It really doesn't take that many for Chrome to make them almost useless. Firefox's brilliant fix is to *gasp* add horizontal scrolling buttons to the sides so tabs don't go below a certain minimum size.

Firefox is nice. Firefox 57 (which should hit beta next week-ish) is supposed to be quite a lot faster, too.

Is Firefox still stuck on 32bit in Windows? I stopped using FireFox because of this and switched over to Waterfox. I am currently using Waterfox 55.0.2 and it works really well for me.

Keep in mind that when having your browser for an extended period of time, memory will increase due to browser caching both forced by sites and browsers using malloc to store page data for fast retrieval. Check memory usage before closing your browser and then opening it up again with the same tabs and you will see a significant memory difference. Web pages these days can typically have up to 5MB of data in just images, text, and scripts. This all adds up. You just don't notice since it is all asynchronous.

Fred-87

Currently i have 47 tabs open in Opera and it works great still. Previous version of Opera was better but even like this its still the best browser there is. All other browsers are missing things for me. Small convenient things.

sinxtanx

Is Firefox still stuck on 32bit in Windows? I stopped using FireFox because of this and switched over to Waterfox. I am currently using Waterfox 55.0.2 and it works really well for me.

available for quite a while, it's 64-bit by default since august
multiprocess and a bunch of significant changes (new UI, CSS layout engine and extension systems) will be default in 57, just so you're aware if you're going to switch

butwhy.gif

41 tabs ♫ ┌༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┘ ♪ └༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┐ ♫ ┌༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┘ ♪ └༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┐ ♫ ┌༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┘ ♪ └༼ຈل͜ຈ༽┐ ♫ Not even 2 gigs

Sometimes you have multiple irons in the fire at the same time, and you don't want to load and unload sessions just to make your reference materials accessible? 47 is nothing.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I started using bookmarks very early and I use older hardware as a matter of policy, so holding a browser tab open actually annoys me enough to prompt me to shut it. I can recall stuff from my bookmarks or browser history anyway.

I can see why some people prefer to use the tabs paradigm. But as a security-conscious software developer, I wouldn't touch that mess with a bargepole.

Top Bottom