• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chronicles of Riddick - low theater count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattergen

Boxofficemojo is reporting that CoR is only opening in 2500 theaters. Weird because they are also reporting it had a 125 mil budget. Even Garfield is opening bigger, and that is a surefire 0% rottentomatoes flop. Any thoughts on what the hell is going on here? Seems like there should be about another K tacked on there somewhere.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Shrek 2 just broke the record by opening at over 400 theatres. Most big movies open with 2800+ screens, the biggest one's with 3300+. I don't think Riddick will gross over 100 mil, it might have a decent size 20-30 mil opening though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'll say it now... I have a feeling about this movie... I think it's going to be a sleeper hit, and the theater count will grow as word of mouth spreads.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sactown said:
Shrek 2 just broke the record by opening at over 400 theatres. Most big movies open with 2800+ screens, the biggest one's with 3300+. I don't think Riddick will gross over 100 mil, it might have a decent size 20-30 mil opening though.

Yeah, it opened in over 4100 theaters and ADDED 60 theaters in its second week. Plus, Shrek 2 is SHORT, so it gets more viewings per screen than most other movies. By the way the previous record number of theaters was Spider-Man, which opened in over 3800 theaters.

Note that this is theater count, NOT screen count. So the movie could be playing on multiple screens in any given theater.

i am sort of pissed that its only PG13, kinda turned me off wanting to see it so badly, but i'll still check it out (since i got a free ticket in the Pitch Black DVD!)

golem

i hope its a good movie and becomes a hit, seems like universal is hedging its bets (although ive seen plenty of ads for it). maybe they booked the theaters when they thought it was gonna be R but turned out to squeeze by a PG-13?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom